Moving with guns/showing house

Rilo

After some advice…….

We are making offers in WI so I am almost certain we will be leaving. 

- in normal times I would sell off my ammo and purchase again once moved but is this stupidity n current times?

-how did you show your house with guns in the house? I have multiple safes and to say I am paranoid is an understatement.

any advice people have I appreciate!

On 6/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, THE KING said:

I was thinking this same thing. But a screen like this will just make people look behind it.

Then I thought, go to an appliance store and see if you can get a couple of refrigerator boxes. Slide them over the top and voila. Covered.😁

This is genius!!!

If you are using a real estate agent, ask them about the safes. I do not see a problem. A lot of people have safes and keep other things besides guns in them. It is no one's what you have in your safes. We had a small upright safe, and it was no problem. The guns should be just as secure during a showing as when you go shopping for the day, or even a vacation. 

You are an Illinois resident until you establish residency in Wisconsin e.g. driver's license, register to vote, car registration. Follow the rules for transporting your guns across state lines - unloaded, container, ammo separate, etc. They have no FOID, so possessing ammo there is no problem. If you have a CCL, the situation may be a little gray. I think the Wisconsin will recognize your Illinois CCL until you establish residency there. Then you will have to apply for Wisconsin permit. See the link below for information on Wisconsin rules. When I moved to Indiana, I did not carry for the few weeks until my Indiana permit cleared. Make your own informed decision. Again, no Wisconsin FOID, guns are find in your house.

Handgunlaw.us

If everything you want to hide doesn’t fit in a safe, buy a cheap locking (keyed exterior) doorknob for one closet.  If feasible, pick a closet that is the same size as another so the realtor can say “some valuables in there so it’s locked but the closet is exactly like the other you just saw”.  Otherwise, if you have a car in the garage, load it up and lock it during viewings.

if you can’t move the safes or get big appliance boxes (or Uhaul boxes), wrap them in moving blankets and bungees so it looks like you’re just getting ready, no one will know that they’re not furniture.  Otherwise, painters drop cloths and supplies weighting them down would not be uncommon in a house that someone is prepping for a move.

I am of the opposite opinion to the other posts.  Keep it in the open.  It's closed and locked we should assume.  When we sold, at the closing, the new buyer made an offer on my big safe.  He even tried to justify making it part of the deal over the amount of work/labor it would cost me to move it.  I declined.

Once you get your Wi driver's license  ( 8 yr ) you can submit your application for a ccl online,  You can use your IL CCL for proof  of  training. 

$40.00  took about 10 days when i applied.

Welcome to Concealed Carry Weapon Application (wi.gov)

If you don't mind, Pm me the area your looking at.

I didn't have a big safe to be concerned about by the time I listed the house.  Since we bought our NC place in advance of listing the IL place I was able to move a bunch of stuff to the new place first. The things left behind were packed into a microwave box left in the basement. I had a flush mounted wall box (not a safe, a metal locking cabinet) that held a long gun. The cabinet looked like a circuit breaker box, and I decorated it with a high voltage sticker to aid the illusion. That worked too well as I was fielding calls from inspectors and agents explaining it was a wall safe.

Be a man!!! Support the 2A !!

Leave the safe open..... guns all over the place...

Lay trails of ammo, spent casings, and lines of powder thru the house.

Proudly highlight your alters to Stoner, Kalashnikov, and Browning...

When you have a walk-thru...turn off all the lights and give everyone some Nods...

On 6/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, MagSlap said:

Be a man!!! Support the 2A !!

Leave the safe open..... guns all over the place...

Lay trails of ammo, spent casings, and lines of powder thru the house.

Proudly highlight your alters to Stoner, Kalashnikov, and Browning...

When you have a walk-thru...turn off all the lights and give everyone some Nods...

Hubby and I plan on moving to Utah or Wyoming in a couple years so I have been checking out homes with acreage online.  Not unusual at all to see guns and/or safes in the pictures.  Have seen some with nice re-loading rooms or outdoor shooting areas.  

On 6/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, GSDlady said:

Hubby and I plan on moving to Utah or Wyoming in a couple years so I have been checking out homes with acreage online.  Not unusual at all to see guns and/or safes in the pictures.  Have seen some with nice re-loading rooms or outdoor shooting areas.  

I’m not going to see that in northern Illinois :)

On 6/22/2022 at 8:17 PM, GSDlady said:

If a prospective home buyer gets "triggered" by the thought of guns in the house at least you will have a "safe" space for them.      😁  Ba dum tss.    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Safe space?   Where have I seen that before?

A5A22C2E-26FD-4CE2-818E-58E411068367.jpeg

• 2 months later...

When we listed the house and conducted open houses and showings, I had all firearms and ammo removed. They were legally stored at a trusted friends house. 

Once everything was removed, I left the safe doors open. It was clear to anyone who looked that nothing valuable remained.  

No reason to return. No stories to tell a friend. No temptation. 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:39 PM, Rilo said:

Thank you! I actually ended up just leaving safes locked in plain sight, our house sold on listing day and it’s now a distant memory we are in WI now.

You’re going to quickly realize how much of a prisoner you were in IL compared to living up here now. I don’t say that jokingly either.

I had no IL CCL (DD-214 though) and I got my WI CCL in FOUR days after I got my license a week after moving. Cash and carry if you want to buy anything. And the best part? NFA doesn’t stand for “No Fun Allowed” up here. Ive been here a month and already have two silencers in jail, waiting.

Greatest decision I have ever made in mine and my wife’s life to GTFOOIL.

Besides the whole 2nd Amendment stuff, I was really impressed by the DMV. I went there shortly after moving up here with my ILL drivers license along with the titles to my truck and motorcycle. I would say it took not much longer than about a 1/2 hour to walk out with brand new WI titles in hand, (Yes, new titles issued immediately), new WI plates, and a xerox copy of my new driver's license as they had to mail the new physical license about a week later. But I even upgraded to a Real ID one during the process that I never bothered to because of the hassle with ILL Sec of State. And I don't recall the exact amount for all the fees but it was tremendously less what ILL would have charged. And I no longer have to pay for the outrageously priced Chicago city stickers. Last renewal for my truck was almost $440 for a 2 year sticker. My car insurance went down too.

Then there is no sales tax on food, cheaper gas, less traffic... Biggest downside though, I will get taxed on my pension by the state where ILL didn't. But there are enough advantages to make up for that. I may not stay here forever but I can say I will never be a resident of Illinois ever again...

On 8/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, mikeyk101 said:

Besides the whole 2nd Amendment stuff, I was really impressed by the DMV. I went there shortly after moving up here with my ILL drivers license along with the titles to my truck and motorcycle. I would say it took not much longer than about a 1/2 hour to walk out with brand new WI titles in hand, (Yes, new titles issued immediately), new WI plates, and a xerox copy of my new driver's license as they had to mail the new physical license about a week later. But I even upgraded to a Real ID one during the process that I never bothered to because of the hassle with ILL Sec of State. And I don't recall the exact amount for all the fees but it was tremendously less what ILL would have charged. And I no longer have to pay for the outrageously priced Chicago city stickers. Last renewal for my truck was almost $440 for a 2 year sticker. My car insurance went down too.

Then there is no sales tax on food, cheaper gas, less traffic... Biggest downside though, I will get taxed on my pension by the state where ILL didn't. But there are enough advantages to make up for that. I may not stay here forever but I can say I will never be a resident of Illinois ever again...

Congrats, now change your location below your S/N. :)

Archived