Illinois firearms purchase form.

lilguy

On 6/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, lilguy said:

Would someone  please direct me to the state law that requires it and explain its rationale.

Well, it's not in the FOID Act.  I was wondering if it was a rule, not a law, or some crud.

Damn good question, lilguy.

It is in Illinois law, in "The Criminal Code of 2012". 

For those unaware, "The Criminal Code of 2012" is a legislatively cleaned up revision of "The Criminal Code of 1961".
Not knowing about the revision has caused some pro-gun people a lot of excess stomach acid.

What you are looking for is here:
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K24-4

The rationale is that the state has the rules for legal gun ownership engraved in the "Criminal Code".

On 6/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, Dx54r said:

What form are you guys talking about? I have never been asked to fill out a form state specific form besides the federal 4473.

Have you bought a firearm at a dealer since FFL licensing went into effect a couple years ago? It was then that FFLs seem to have been reminded of the requirement to collect that info.

I've noticed that different FFLs do it differently. One place I've gone has a fill-in-the-blank form, that typically collects answers for occupation/reason like:

On 6/3/2022 at 7:09 AM, Squints08 said:

I answer “citizen” and “freedom” ...  

... and another place that uses a multiple-choice form without the option to be snarky.

I've always wanted to answer, "Militiaman" and "to oppose a tyrannical government" to those questions, but I don't feel the brief giggle worth having my front door kicked in at 4:00 a.m.  Those guys aren't too keen on the actual language and purpose of the Second Amendment.  They prefer to believe that they are being gracious in permitting citizens to have revolvers and bolt action rifles to use in performing various acts of Fuddery.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, Euler said:

Have you bought a firearm at a dealer since FFL licensing went into effect a couple years ago? It was then that FFLs seem to have been reminded of the requirement to collect that info.

I've noticed that different FFLs do it differently. One place I've gone has a fill-in-the-blank form, that typically collects answers for occupation/reason like:

... and another place that uses a multiple-choice form without the option to be snarky.

Last week, those questions were nowhere on the form I saw or anyone asked. 

Will be picking up another later this week or early next and I bet they still won't.

What kind of yank a.. FFL are you going to? 

There is no PDF for dealers to use on this state form. I fill out the form for the customer on the parts that say; make, model, serial, caliber, and price. I ask the questions and fill out the form for the customer on the remaining questions; age, occupation, and purpose. I just have the customer sign-off on it and time-stamp it. And YES, I do allow snarky comments to go on the form...

Purpose: 2nd Amendment, constitutional rights, hobby, fun, shooting cans on the farm, etc...

Archived