E-FOID Cards Now Available

On 5/31/2022 at 5:24 PM, Molly B. said:

image.png.0b2bed431e84cf60102b4e83e2676f01.png

ISP will be holding a press conference later this week to announce the availability of the New E-FOID/CCL cards.  The link to your E-FOID/CCL is on the left side of your ISP dashboard screen.  Disappointed to see no expiration dates - hope that will be added in the future.

Thanks for the tip Molly.

I've been waiting for my renewal since last November. Glad to be able to the the "e" version at least.

A picture of the card can be saved to the phone. There is a front and back. I took pictures of both. I now have a separate album just for these. But I’m still wondering if these pictures will be valid if stopped and or we try to use to purchase ammo etc. 

If we have to have access and login to use each time it really negates the ease of use like our insurance policy ID’s.

When the hold their presser later next week will there be a link to explain the ways these can be used? And if it’s allowed by law can we get that link as I can’t find anything. Thanks

I have never heard of anyone being stopped by police to see if they have a FOID card. It happens after some event occurs, shooting, search of vehicle after suspected crime, etc. No one with any computer savvy is going to put a stranger's flash or USB drive into their computer. You would have to have it on your phone, tablet or similar device. 

I expect that a lot of stores and dealers will be skeptical of an e-FOID.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, Quiet Observer said:

I have never heard of anyone being stopped by police to see if they have a FOID card. It happens after some event occurs, shooting, search of vehicle after suspected crime, etc. No one with any computer savvy is going to put a stranger's flash or USB drive into their computer. You would have to have it on your phone, tablet or similar device. 

I expect that a lot of stores and dealers will be skeptical of an e-FOID.

Point I think we are trying to make here exactly. Will stores start accepting these as they already have struggled with the no expire date issue. With any photo save to the phone and photoshop pros out there this will become a show multiple ID’s to match or a no sale. It would seem they are attempting to make the use of these cards more and more difficult. First we are told to leave one card at home to not lose. Now we are talking about leaving both at home to not lose and to use a picture of the card. 

We have now reached the “IF ZONE” again. Think “Twilight Zone”. We haven’t a clue and someone else is setting us up! JMHO.

To avoid the many different answers IL-FFL Dealers have been given, I photocopy a buyers FOID Card/CCL/Combo (whichever you have) along with your DL/SI. So, a digital one is not going to be good enough right now, things might change in the future. ATF does not require either doc, it's just Illanoy. I would be perfectly fine with it if it was for an ammo purchase, I would just input the #'s on the ISP ammo check system. 

On 6/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, Quiet Observer said:

I do not remember the ISP advising to leave your cards at home and to carry copies. That was advice given by some here and debated repeatedly here. The problem is with the merchants who will not accept officially designated documents (FOID or CCL). 

The ISP never said to leave at home. They just said we didn’t at the time need to carry both! iirc it was a rules thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, Smallbore said:

Is a screen shot all that is required? Card can then stay home?

Or link to deck page bookmarked to quickly pull up e-card?

Depends on what an FFL would accept - there is a "date/time generated" stamped on the image.  Otherwise I would think for traveling purposes just a saved image with FOID/CCL number would suffice with law enforcement.

I think that if your hard card is lost or stolen, it should still be reported. Someone could pose as you and use the card to purchase a gun. 

That would make it traceable to you, if it were used in a crime. I do not think the validity of a CCL is affected by loss of a physical FOID. 

It is not the same as the FOID right being suspended or revoked.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, Quiet Observer said:

I do not think the validity of a CCL is affected by loss of a physical FOID. 

But if the FOID is now the CCL and the physical FOID is lost would not the CCL be lost too?  Losing one single physical card would place you in the Republic of Illinois with hard proof of either unless the eCard ID is now going to be acceptable to purchase, posses, carry etc.

Will that be acceptable?  Burning question with no definitive answer.  Unless I missed the link stating the same! 

On 6/13/2022 at 5:56 PM, Bubbacs said:

But if the FOID is now the CCL and the physical FOID is lost would not the CCL be lost too?  Losing one single physical card would place you in the Republic of Illinois with hard proof of either unless the eCard ID is now going to be acceptable to purchase, posses, carry etc.

Will that be acceptable?  Burning question with no definitive answer.  Unless I missed the link stating the same! 

I think that you have it backward. The CCL serves as a FOID, but one can have a FOID and not have a CCL. As you and many of us point out, no one knows how merchants will deal with the ecards. It looks like many of you are having problems with hard cards with no expiration date. 

Problems with one card/two cards/e-cards, expiration date/no expiration date, printing problems, …. ad nauseam…..

Here’s a novel idea that solves ALL those problems — go without them all!

Permitless Constitutional Carry, you know, like half the States in the Union! 

On 6/13/2022 at 9:59 PM, Tip said:

Problems with one card/two cards/e-cards, expiration date/no expiration date, printing problems, …. ad nauseam…..

Here’s a novel idea that solves ALL those problems — go without them all!

Permitless Constitutional Carry, you know, like half the States in the Union! 

I think most of us would like to see Constitutional carry in all states, but one has to deal with what is in place today. 

(430 ILCS 65/6.2)
The law states: The display or possession of an electronic version of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card in accordance with the requirements of the Illinois State Police satisfies all requirements for the display or possession of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card under the laws of this State.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

On 6/14/2022 at 9:52 AM, Molly B. said:

(430 ILCS 65/6.2)
The law states: The display or possession of an electronic version of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card in accordance with the requirements of the Illinois State Police satisfies all requirements for the display or possession of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card under the laws of this State.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39

I teach this but I also quote the FCCA stating that a loss or stolen card is invalid. The Foid modernization act quote many statutes striking them out thus nullifing them while quoting replacement. The concerned FCCA section is not referenced. The new foid act does not speak of a loss card. I am obviously not a lawyer, just want to stay on the right side of the law and present the law currectly to my clients. 

The eCard should never have been rolled out.  The merging of the FOID with the CCL was and still is half baked.  Placing your rights and what is or will be assumed legality of firearms and the conceal carry of same was and is stupid. Without the topic of they never should have happened aside, we were considered mature enough to carry a FOID and a CCL card responsibly.  Carry the FOID don’t carry the FOID was another rule no one wanted or needs!  The small number of residents losing everything was what? 0.002%.

Stop and think about it. The system was running along smoothly and as reported sales were through the roof. One would have to assume that ammo sales matched guns at the same time.

But now they have thrown in the monkey wrench as they can’t just do away with gun ownership but they can bottle neck it for us and possible make it very difficult for new owners.  Dealers have to run the FOID instead of just looking at it! They and we will stand around waiting on a computer system which the state has control over to actually work. Are they tiring to thin the FFL heard even more?

And then there’s the eCard. Why? I’ve had several pieces of identification in the past which had a eFactor card where a picture or an app would show my access to insurance etc. But I for one never reach for a phone to scroll through my photos when and if ever stopped. Men keep their cards in their wallets right? In the pants pocket! 

Its to just another you/we/everyone can’t see it as a slow down, road block to what THEY want us to have....our rights.

Rant off I guess but we will continue to lay out disinformation and soon NOT later some one is going to get caught in this tangled web of bu**sh** we walk through.

Living in The Republic of Illinois but moving to merge with The Peoples Republic of Pritzker.

(430 ILCS 65/6.2)
The law states: The display or possession of an electronic version of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card in accordance with the requirements of the Illinois State Police satisfies all requirements for the display or possession of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card under the laws of this State.

The way the law is written "possession" makes my flash drive option completely legal. Now one has to decide if they want to be the test case.

Archived