Lake Villa GOP pulls gun raffle

mikew

This bothers me , does it bother you?

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20220527/lake-villa-twp-gop-gun-raffle-postponed-this-is-not-the-right-time-for-the-raffle-

A gun raffle scheduled as part of the Lake Villa Township Republican Club's annual fundraiser next month has been postponed indefinitely.

Club officials informally agreed via phone to hold off on the raffle for now, according to Dick Barr, vice chair of the Republican organization and a Lake County Board member.

The action comes in the wake of the recent mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, and Uvalde, Texas. The Uvalde shooting earlier this week claimed the lives of 19 elementary schoolchildren and two teachers.

"It was a unanimous sentiment, in light of the tragic events, out of respect for the families of all affected, that this is not the right time for the raffle," Barr said Friday.

------------

The scheduled raffle drew the ire of Lauren Beth Gash, Lake County Democrats chair and Democratic state central committeewoman, who said it should be canceled.

Gash described the gun raffle as being in "devastatingly poor taste" in light of a national gun violence epidemic.

There have been 27 school shootings so far this year with injuries or deaths, according to Education Week's database.

In a statement, Gash included a screen grab of a description of the weapons, which included an "AR-15 type" rifle.

-----------------------

They (Dems-Left) are going to have someone, anyone say something, anything to anyone who wants to do anything with a gun right now. Many will capitulate to the pressure. Few will do business as normal and a small percentage will hide their efforts and plans better in the near future. No one wants the attention right now. Does it bother me as you asked, yes. But our side of this issue has always been the bigger, more mature group. It’s a fight, a long fight now AGAIN. Schedules 15 rounds and the bell for round one has just rung.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:16 AM, spanishjames said:

Henpecked cowards. 

Dick Bar is a solid guy! The GOP lost the Lake County board and the Democratic majority is now on a liberal agenda warpath to basically punish anyone with conservative views and to gut any ordinance that doesn't align with their views, as much as I don't agree with cancelling this, it's probably in the best interest of the local GOP long term.

On 5/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, Flynn said:

Dick Bar is a solid guy! The GOP lost the Lake County board and the Democratic majority is now on a liberal agenda warpath to basically punish anyone with conservative views and to gut any ordinance that doesn't align with their views, as much as I don't agree with cancelling this, it's probably in the best interest of the local GOP long term.

Agreed. Until 2020 the idea of Lake County imposing a ban on leaf burning or imposing on us who will pick-up our garbage would have been laughable. As of June 1st both go into effect. The influx of leftist refugees from Chicago and Crook County has destroyed the county I grew up in. And with the latest round of gerrymandering it will only get worse.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:10 PM, ilphil said:

Agreed. Until 2020 the idea of Lake County imposing a ban on leaf burning or imposing on us who will pick-up our garbage would have been laughable. As of June 1st both go into effect. The influx of leftist refugees from Chicago and Crook County has destroyed the county I grew up in. And with the latest round of gerrymandering it will only get worse.

Yep, I have grown up and spent my entire life in Lake County, it's changed so much, and the recent Democrat board majority, it fast putting in the last nails in the coffin like a rabid demon.  It's not just leaf burning, pretty much all outdoor buring except for BBQs and little patio fire pits are now banned except during the winter months during the day.  And we were already forced to change over to township dictated garbage last year, so that global county change won't effect us.  But, sitting on 30 acres, the burn band is going to have a huge impact, the little 30ish gallon yard waste can included with our garbage service is laughable for those on acrerage when it comes to the amount of yard waste acrerage produce, and the cost to buy bags and stickers is also laughable, I won't be dropping $100s a month on stickers and bags nor will I spend the labor to bag all that yard waste.  My only hope is that the Lake County Sheriffs department exercises discretion on enforcement, I will find out soon enough, my neighbor has bonfires literally every week, year round.  I generally only do one once a month burning, so we will see how enforcement plays out or I will have one heck of a epic sized bonfire every Thanksgiving or Xmas Day, with a little kitchen fire extinguisher by my side as to be in compliance with the new ordinance, as my garden hoses will be disconnected for the winter but s garden hose or fire extinguisher are mandated under the new winter only burn law.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, RECarry said:

Lake County - where one county executive single-handedly canceled the long-running Civil War Reenactment weekend that brought participants from many states.

Never mind that 20% of Lake County men folk went off to fight for the Union, but memorializing that is racist. 

Yea.  I forgot about that.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:55 AM, Flynn said:

Yep, I have grown up and spent my entire life in Lake County, it's changed so much, and the recent Democrat board majority, it fast putting in the last nails in the coffin like a rabid demon.  It's not just leaf burning, pretty much all outdoor buring except for BBQs and little patio fire pits are now banned except during the winter months during the day.  And we were already forced to change over to township dictated garbage last year, so that global county change won't effect us.  But, sitting on 30 acres, the burn band is going to have a huge impact, the little 30ish gallon yard waste can included with our garbage service is laughable for those on acrerage when it comes to the amount of yard waste acrerage produce, and the cost to buy bags and stickers is also laughable, I won't be dropping $100s a month on stickers and bags nor will I spend the labor to bag all that yard waste.  My only hope is that the Lake County Sheriffs department exercises discretion on enforcement, I will find out soon enough, my neighbor has bonfires literally every week, year round.  I generally only do one once a month burning, so we will see how enforcement plays out or I will have one heck of a epic sized bonfire every Thanksgiving or Xmas Day, with a little kitchen fire extinguisher by my side as to be in compliance with the new ordinance, as my garden hoses will be disconnected for the winter but s garden hose or fire extinguisher are mandated under the new winter only burn law.

At one point there was a provision to allow burning if you had a certain size property. I don't recall the size since it was way more than my 1/2 acre and wouldn't help me. Don't know if it was included in the final ordinance. Haven't even tried to figure what it's going to cost for the bleeping bags for leaves. We've got 20+ mature trees and a number of smaller ones as well.

Might be worth checking in to for you though.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, ilphil said:

At one point there was a provision to allow burning if you had a certain size property. I don't recall the size since it was way more than my 1/2 acre and wouldn't help me. Don't know if it was included in the final ordinance. Haven't even tried to figure what it's going to cost for the bleeping bags for leaves. We've got 20+ mature trees and a number of smaller ones as well.

Might be worth checking in to for you though.

They removed the size exemption in the final ordiance...  For me the biggest issues is trees, shrubs and undergrowth, I have so many fast growing sapling trees sprouting all over the place that I cut down trees pretty much every year, super easy to drag them over to a burn pile, now?  Yeah, not going to being dicing them into pieces small enough to and stuff in a bag and pay the fees to have them removed...  The black and white text does have some wiggle room that I will fully be taking advantage of...

RECREATIONAL FIRE. An outdoor fire no larger than three feet by three feet by three feet which is used for warmth, cooking for human consumption and/or temporary non-ceremonial purposes where the fire does not contain non-woody landscape waste, garbage, or junk and debris.

(I) Open burning of landscape waste. It is a public nuisance to conduct open burning of landscape waste in the unincorporated area, subject to the following exceptions: (1) This subsection (I) shall not apply to: (a) Recreational fires, campfires, self-contained outdoor burn devices, and ceremonial fires if no garbage, junk and debris, or non-woody landscape waste are burned in such fires. (b) Prescribed habitat and ecological landscape burns. (c) Disposal of disaster debris as authorized by County authorities. (2) This subsection (I) shall not apply to the open burning of woody landscape waste when all of the following restrictions are met: (a) The burning occurs between November 1 to March 31; (b) The burning occurs between sunrise and sunset; (c) The burning occurs when wind speeds do no exceed 10 miles per hour (MPH); (d) The burning occurs on a day during which Lake County is not subject to an advisory from the National Weather Service regarding critical fire weather conditions nor an air quality advisory from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency wherein air quality in Lake County is designated as unhealthy for sensitive groups or the general public; COMMENTARY: Critical fire weather conditions means conditions related to a combination of wind, high temperatures and low humidity leading to an increased risk of erratic or extreme fire behavior and new fire starts, or similar circumstances, as determined by the National Weather Service as referenced in www.weather.gov. COMMENTARY: The Air Quality Index was devised by the United States Environmental Protection Agency to communicate air quality conditions to the public. The Air Quality Index is available at www.airnow.gov. (e) The burning occurs on the premises where the woody materials were generated; (f) The burning is supervised until the fire is extinguished. A fire extinguisher or garden hose or water source shall be available at the burning site; (h) The burning, if located within the Designated High School Area, is conducted between sunrise and sunset only on Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays.

https://lakecounty.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=10389866&GUID=3FD7F484-F1C1-4EBA-BC55-234B377E0B80

3x3x3 you say?  35" x 24" fits that bill, need to make sure I don't get cold hands this summer.

burn barrel.jpg

I am jumping for joy now that they are banning most of all the open burning !

I lived in Lake County for sixty years in Wadsworth, Russell, and unincorporated Waukegan

And nothing irritated me more than having to turn on the central air at night and close my windows

because some neighbor had a smouldering pile of yard waste blowing right in stinking up the house

and making me cough and gag 

I like smoked bacon and a brisket but not smoked couch carpet and clothes 

Burning leaves smell good for about 15 minutes after that not so much !

On 5/30/2022 at 11:14 PM, Warped said:

I am jumping for joy now that they are banning most of all the open burning !

I lived in Lake County for sixty years in Wadsworth, Russell, and unincorporated Waukegan

And nothing irritated me more than having to turn on the central air at night and close my windows

because some neighbor had a smouldering pile of yard waste blowing right in stinking up the house

and making me cough and gag 

I like smoked bacon and a brisket but not smoked couch carpet and clothes 

Burning leaves smell good for about 15 minutes after that not so much !

Sounds like you were not cut out for 'unicorporated' living and would likely be happier in a HOA governed neighborhood in a incorporated area...  I personally choose to live unicorporated so I don't have to have ever aspect of what I do on my property dictated by busy bodies that don't live unicorporated, if I desired the plethora of restricting ordinances found in incorporated areas I would not live on 30 unicorporated acres.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:28 PM, Flynn said:

Sounds like you were not cut out for 'unicorporated' living and would likely be happier in a HOA governed neighborhood in a incorporated area...  I personally choose to live unicorporated so I don't have to have ever aspect of what I do on my property dictated by busy bodies that don't live unicorporated, if I desired the plethora of restricting ordinances found in incorporated areas I would not live on 30 unicorporated acres.

Lol

Your comment is almost discrete enough not to be an insult ALMOST !

On 6/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, Smallbore said:

Freedom is wonderful but it does attract those who get fed with tyranny only to bring with them their tyranny.

It is common for urbanites to move to the country then complain of the lack of government services  and the aroma of livestock.

A reminder of Chicago friends, repeat mission trip workers to Haiti, who were dining at a Haitian restaurant one evening. A table of elitists started berating the owner of the restaurant for running out of goat meat (an ironic bit of realism).  "How dare you? We drove all this way!" (all of 3 miles from Lincolnwood to Rogers Park).

We can be thankful for Democrat campaign signs that help identify where entitled liberals have moved in - like our new neighbors. They saw us spraying a creeper weed with vinegar/Epsom salts/Dawn and ran over to ensure it wasn't Roundup. This concerned-for-the-environment neighbor later decided to plow under a privacy thicket on our property line without warning, taking one of our surveyor stakes with it. Their high-strung dogs disturb the peace, too. And yes, she drives a Prius with enviro-social-justice bumper stickers.  

Archived