Gun prices

Rilo

I hear ya.  What makes it worse is that market prices are going down, but inflation is making the dollars paid worth even less.  Basically, you lose by selling at the "new" price, then get penalized an extra 10% because those dollars are devalued by inflation.  (Using the old, honest, 1970's-80's method of calculating inflation, you basically double the phony figure they give you today; meaning, inflation is now, in reality, nearly 20%!!)

EDIT TO ADD:  Actually, I think that as Rilo alluded to, inflation is eating away at people's discretionary spending dollars, and making them fearful of making large purchases beyond necessities.  Sucks!

Edited by 2A4Cook

On 5/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, Rmac702 said:

It all depends on what you are selling and buying. Here is an example of an auction today for a desirable used CZ75 polished stainless handgun.  It sold for $1200 plus shipping, tax and FFL transfer fee.    CZ 75B High Polish, Rare Discontinued, 9mm, Stainless Steel - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 933190230

Yes but if you are the seller you would get around a grand. There is other examples selling less than 1k and one going as much as $1600.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:04 PM, BRJ said:

Yes but if you are the seller you would get around a grand. There is other examples selling less than 1k and one going as much as $1600.

The seller would get $1100+, but that's not the point.  The point is there was a reputable buyer that was willing to pay well over $1300. after shipping taxes, and FFL transfer fee.

The seller would not get $1100 so you know someone who is going to list a firearm for less than 10%? There is also an advantage to accepting credit cards which adds value on gunbroker, with GB fees and CC fees you are not getting $1100. You would be lucky to get $1k.

credit cards offer protection to the buyer. 

best of luck with your sale, seems to have sat around a while, clearly to expensive and my offer of $900 seems fair.

On 5/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, BRJ said:

The seller would not get $1100 so you know someone who is going to list a firearm for less than 10%? There is also an advantage to accepting credit cards which adds value on gunbroker, with GB fees and CC fees you are not getting $1100. You would be lucky to get $1k.

best of luck with your sale, seems to have sat around a while, clearly to expensive and my offer of $900 seems fair.

Thanks, but this seller charged an additional 3% credit card fee, and here is a Gunbroker fee based on a $1500 sale, so $1100+ is very correct: 

For example, a $1500 item would cost:

1. $250 times 6% = $15.00
  2. $1250 times 3.5% = $43.75
  3. Total = $58.75
Edited by Rmac702

On 5/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, BRJ said:

Please read the Classified Section rules:

On 5/23/2022 at 9:19 PM, BRJ said:

You won't find a local shop to list for less than 10% but gunbroker does.

On 5/22/2022 at 6:24 PM, Rilo said:

Anyone else noticing plummeting prices on firearms? I guess with inflation it will continue but it’s surprising how much they are dropping.

I have been looking at M&P prices, and many models now can be purchased as optics ready. The ones without the precut slide have gone way down. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, BennyDR said:

You won't find a local shop to list for less than 10% but gunbroker does.

Local gun shops also don't buy quantities and get wholesale prices that some gunbroker dealers do, well beyond added ship costs.  

I'm also switching to a different FFL after the next one that's already in the mail when I picked up the last.

They doubled the price, saying goodbye to them, back to a home based FFL. 

Many gun dealers online/brick & mortar are selling below costs just to keep cash flow going through the books. Great for the consumer, you guys/gals ^^^, sucks for the small dealers who are trying to keep a little inventory in-stock. For the big Dawgs like Cabela's and Range USA, they can accept some losses and keep moving on...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, Rmac702 said:

Wow, a used CZ75b polished stainless just sold for $1775, not including taxes or shipping. .  RARE CZ 75B High Polish Stainless - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 939522459

There's a moron born every minute.  Investing in modern arms collecting is a fools errand.   

On 6/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, ealcala31 said:

Many gun dealers online/brick & mortar are selling below costs just to keep cash flow going through the books. Great for the consumer, you guys/gals ^^^, sucks for the small dealers who are trying to keep a little inventory in-stock. For the big Dawgs like Cabela's and Range USA, they can accept some losses and keep moving on...

Could you please provide some examples for us... 

On 7/27/2022 at 8:18 PM, Kipp Jones said:

Could you please provide some examples for us... 

I sure will. Here's the distributor price for the S&W MP9 Shield Plus:692520763_Screenshot_20220802-142403_SamsungInternet.jpg.dc3f5f6e070971c516b21ea0ac3b9be4.jpg269650085_Screenshot_20220802-142205_SamsungInternet.jpg.b49c08d0f10870cebcb2f5061176f1de.jpg1883950091_Screenshot_20220802-141919_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.69084272b1a8e53a5e575ba5001a6e88.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Good if you want a cheap entry level firearm, I'd much prefer adding $100 and getting a P365. 

If you want a nice chai entry level firearm on a budget I’d look at this.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/126393/taurus+g3c+9mm+12+1

i have a black one with the stainless steel slide and it’s very nice.  It feels like a higher quality gun than it is, and a company called lakeline llc makes some decent upgrade parts such as a stainless steel guide rod and stainless steel striker guide if you want to upgrade those. But it runs pretty good stock.  Some have a time running hollow points.  Mine does, but I’ve only got 100 rounds through it so that may fix itself as I shoot it.  Although polishing the feed ramp could resolve that.

Truth be told if you are really on a budget, I’m looking at this one or similar.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415007301/taurus+g2c+9mm+pistol+12rd+brn

I had a black one as my first hand gun.  Probably had 1000 rounds through it before I traded it.  Truth be told I probably should have kept it.  It was pretty reliable and worked well.  Not as many sight upgrades as the g3c, and the g3c has a better trigger.  But for the money, if that’s what I had I’d definitely carry it.  In fact I qualified for my ccl with the one I had and hit 30 of 30 with it.