Updated … Is the Glock 43 relevant again?

DG53

7/2/22: 

Update … I’m no longer carrying my 43 with the shield arms mag. After testing, my 43’s slide would lock back with one round left in the magazine. I’m sending it back to shield arms for them to look at. I was hoping they would just exchange it for me but nope, they make it hard by insisting they test my mag and determine next steps. That’s annoying customer service. Especially for a return customer like me. 

Shield Arms, the same company that released 15 rounds magazines for the Glock 43x, just released a 9 round round magazine for the Glock 43. They achieve this with adding very little length to the group. My Glock 43 had been a safe queen since I was able carry my 43x with 15 rounds. But now with a 9+1 option I think my Glock 43 will be back in the rotation, especially in the summer. I ordered one of the magazines from shield arms and will run a couple 100 rounds before I start carrying it. The magazines I have bought  from them for my Glock 43x have been flawless. Hopefully these will be too. 

https://shieldarms.com/z9-combo-pack-1

Rilo, If I didn’t already own 43, I would agree 100%. I don’t have the cash to go buy a 365, wish I did.  I think there are lots of people in the same boat as me. Plus this is only when I need to carry something extra small. I usually can conceal a G19 and that’s what I prefer to have. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have my Z9 magazine. It's underwhelming. It makes the 43 nearly as tall as 43x. The whole point of the 43 is "concealed is concealed". The Z9 makes it harder to do right. I'm sticking with the factory magazine and a TT+1. The Z9 mag is fine as  pocket carry back up magazine now that I own it, but I was a little quick on the draw to overpay for this thing. 

I'll add, the 43 was never irrelevant to me.  The 365 is too small to get a grip on and too heavy for it's size fully loaded in my opinion. 

I was carrying a G26 for a long time and switched to a G43 two years ago.  
My main concern is having it concealed and the 43 works best for me.

I don’t have a problem with the 6+1 and carry a spare 6 rd mag.

Whenever I’m at the range maintaining my skills I also practice reloading so I can have 13 rounds available.   

One odd thing I noticed with my particular G43 is that it shoots 2- 3 inches low with JHP but is pretty much spot on with practice FMJ. 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:12 AM, Lou said:

I was carrying a G26 for a long time and switched to a G43 two years ago.  
My main concern is having it concealed and the 43 works best for me.

I don’t have a problem with the 6+1 and carry a spare 6 rd mag.

Whenever I’m at the range maintaining my skills I also practice reloading so I can have 13 rounds available.   

One odd thing I noticed with my particular G43 is that it shoots 2- 3 inches low with JHP but is pretty much spot on with practice FMJ. 

What weight of JHP you shooting? I used to have that problem with 147 so I switched to 124 HST.  Since then I've moved to 90 Lehigh solids (screwdriver tip).  The 90 grain saves a little weight in my pocket, is barrier blind and has less recoil. All good things with a little carry gun.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:35 AM, TRJ said:

What weight of JHP you shooting? I used to have that problem with 147 so I switched to 124 HST.  Since then I've moved to 90 Lehigh solids (screwdriver tip).  The 90 grain saves a little weight in my pocket, is barrier blind and has less recoil. All good things with a little carry gun.

I use 110 GR silver tips

• 2 weeks later...

I alternate between my ruger lcp max, little 380 with a 10 round mag, or my Taurus gx4.  Glocks are nice, but on the other hand, you have you figure that if you ever have to use your weapon they are probably taking it, and who knows when you will get it back.  At least the Taurus for example I can replace for under 300.  Wouldn’t mind trying a p365 though.

In the VERY unlikely event that I ever have to use my handgun in self-defense, and I am the one left from the confrontation to speak with law enforcement (which IS my plan) I will consider their taking my gun for a while to be an investment well worth the price. I have a few handguns in my carry rotation to take up the slack of a lost one. 

Update … I’m no longer carrying my 43 with the shield arms mag. After testing, my 43’s slide would lock back with one round left in the magazine. I’m sending it back to shield arms for them to look at. I was hoping they would just exchange it for me but nope, they make it hard by insisting they test my mag and determine next steps. That’s annoying customer service. Especially for a return customer like me. 

• DG53 changed the title to Updated … Is the Glock 43 relevant again?

Archived