Ghost Gun Ban Signed Into Law Today, Illinois

Louie25

While I am NOT being an advocate for compliance, it does raise a question for anyone wishing to comply. Are there any qualifying "nearby" FFL resources to take one's boo-ghostie gun and have it serial numbered while one waited or near enough to make two trips? If there aren't any resources a law-abiding gun owner could use then compliance would seem to be de facto impossible?

On 9/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, RandyP said:

While I am NOT being an advocate for compliance, it does raise a question for anyone wishing to comply. Are there any qualifying "nearby" FFL resources to take one's boo-ghostie gun and have it serial numbered while one waited or near enough to make two trips? If there aren't any resources a law-abiding gun owner could use then compliance would seem to be de facto impossible?

No none, it's not possible. The ATF told them before they passed the law and they passed it anyhow.  Only a manufacture can legally serialize a firearm.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, RandyP said:

Yes, this place does them:

https://lawweapons.org/

On 10/5/2022 at 10:59 AM, JamesW said:

Yes, this place does them:

https://lawweapons.org/

On 10/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Anyone got their FFL it would be interesting to see what class is is, if they are not a manufacture they are violating federal law.  Type 7 or 10. 

3-36-043-07-5A-05179    "BEVIS, ROBERT"    LAW WEAPONS & SUPPLY
3-36-043-08-5A-05180    "BEVIS, ROBERT"    LAW WEAPONS & SUPPLY

On 10/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, Euler said:

3-36-043-07-5A-05179    "BEVIS, ROBERT"    LAW WEAPONS & SUPPLY
3-36-043-08-5A-05180    "BEVIS, ROBERT"    LAW WEAPONS & SUPPLY

A manufactures license, interesting. 

Well I hope they don't get sued the first time one of these guns malfunctions and hurts someone or is used in a crime, almost certainly they will be sued, 

Malfunctions 100% they loose, murder or crime IDK but they better have lots of money for lawyers. 

If I were to have something which fits this criteria and wasn't lost in a boating accident, what fee is LWS charging to perform this task? I don't see it even listed as a service but I didn't shred through each page of the site.

Whether they can/can't legally do it is not my question - I am asking if someone has done this, what does it cost?  

On 10/5/2022 at 1:38 PM, martho said:

If I were to have something which fits this criteria and wasn't lost in a boating accident, what fee is LWS charging to perform this task? I don't see it even listed as a service but I didn't shred through each page of the site.

Whether they can/can't legally do it is not my question - I am asking if someone has done this, what does it cost?  

7DCB4150-4BDB-4573-9EA9-391AD7E5CEDD.jpeg

In finding the federal serial number requirements unconstitutional the court found no history in the founding era of a serial number requirement, nor did the state present one.  

More broadly (and not part of this case), if serial numbers were not required in that legal tradition, then they cannot be required now.  Similar logic may apply to self manufactured firearms at some point.

The case is US v Price from the Federal District Court of Southern West Virginia.

Docket

Decision said:

MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDER

The question before the court is whether 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), which prohibits felons from possessing firearms, and 18 U.S.C. § 922(k), which prohibits possession of a firearm with an altered, obliterated, or removed serial number, are constitutional after the Supreme Court's recent decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Ass'n v. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. 2111 (2022). After considering the arguments presented here, I find that Section 922(g)(1) is constitutional, but I find that Section 922(k) is not. For the following reasons, Mr. Price's motion to dismiss the indictment against him is GRANTED as to Count Two and DENIED as to Count One.

Relying on the Supreme Court's holding in Bruen, Mr. Price argues that these statutes are facially unconstitutional.

The Government argues that ... the requirement that firearms bear serial numbers is, in its view, a "commercial regulation" that does not "infringe" on one's right  to  keep  and  bear  arms.

18 U.S.C. § 923(i) is the commercial regulation that requires manufacturers to place serial numbers on firearms .... Section 922(k) goes farther. It criminalizes the mere possession of a firearm after a serial number is removed, obliterated, or altered in any way, whether or not the firearm is then placed into commerce.
Assume, for example, that a law-abiding citizen purchases a firearm from a sporting goods store ... and removes the serial number. ... He could be prosecuted federally for his possession of it. That is the definition of an infringement on one's right to possess a firearm.

Now, assume that the law-abiding citizen dies and leaves his gun collection to his law-abiding daughter. ... As it stands, Section 922(k) also makes her possession of the firearm illegal .... Rather, it is a blatant prohibition on possession. The conduct prohibited by Section 922(k) falls squarely within the Second Amendment's plain text.
Even in 1968 there was no prohibition on mere possession of a firearm that had the serial number altered or removed. In fact, it was not until the Crime Control Act of 1990 that Section 922 was amended ...
In fact, as the Government points out, the commercial requirement that a serial number be placed on a firearm "does not impair the use or functioning of a weapon in any way." ... The mechanics of the firearm -- with or without a serial number -- are the same.

... And the founders addressed the "societal problem" of non-law-abiding citizens possessing firearms through "materially different means" -- felon disarmament laws like Section 922(g)(1).

My summary excludes a lot of the opinion, but it's worth noting that the argument for why the prohibition of possession of unserialized firearms by a law-abiding individual is unconstitutional is essentially the same argument for why the prohibition of any possession (serialized or unserialized) by a felon is not unconstitutional.

On 10/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, 59caddy said:

So how do you interpret that as far as possessing unserialized homemade firearms in WV? I thought WV did not have any restrictions on such firearms. What do you think that means for IL? 

WV has no unserialized firearm laws. (I don't know it if has any "defaced" firearm laws. Price was only charged federally.) The decision will not affect IL (yet).

WV is in the jurisdiction of the 4th Circuit Court of Appeal, the same as MD, which is why Maryland Shall Issue tweeted the decision. The decision doesn't affect MD, either, but it seems reasonable to expect that the US will appeal. Whatever CA4 decides will affect MD.

If there are circuit splits, then the Supreme Court may take it up, and that would affect IL. Of course, IL could have its own home-grown challenges to the law, too.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, Euler said:

The case is US v Price from the Federal District Court of Southern West Virginia.

Docket

My summary excludes a lot of the opinion, but it's worth noting that the argument for why the prohibition of possession of unserialized firearms by a law-abiding individual is unconstitutional is essentially the same argument for why the prohibition of any possession (serialized or unserialized) by a felon is not unconstitutional.

US filed an appeal on October 24. On October 26, the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals assigned it docket number 22-4609.

• 1 month later...

I am aware of a 'lower cost' alternative to getting one's 80% lower build serialized and made legal for about $100 from one of the very few establishments that do that kind of work. The Range at 355's online store sells a nice FMH polymer lower for just under $40. Simple enough to swap the parts around. They also offer a metal one for about $90.

IMHO many folks built an 80% lower or two simply for the fun and the DIY challenge. The "ghost gun" issue was not a consideration. Personally I have no problem with a requirement to only own 'serialized' firearms. But that's just me.  I'm also a survivor of the idiotic Chicago Gun Registry from a few decades ago with which I was in full compliance.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:21 PM, RandyP said:

Personally I have no problem with a requirement to only own 'serialized' firearms. But that's just me. 

Personally I'm done compromissing, there is no historical tradition for serials besides some manufactures using it for their internal purposes, it's nothing but modern means-ends when it comes to the government requiring them and thus for me it's clearly unconstitutional.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, we have to break ourselves out of the compromise pattern we have become complacent with for decades out of fear they would take more of the pie this round only for them to take it next time anyway, we literaly compromised our right away for decades, that needs to end...  The time for compromising our rights away is over, it's time to take the right back in full and not give anything away.  Give them serials on guns, then they will push for serials on magazines, then they will push for serials on ammo, then they will push for a registery of every serialized part and bullet you own, Bruen gave us the test to entirely nip their unconstitutional demands and restore the right, the time is now...

On 1/1/2023 at 2:20 AM, Flynn said:

Personally I'm done compromissing, there is no historical tradition for serials besides some manufactures using it for their internal purposes, it's nothing but modern means-ends when it comes to the government requiring them and thus for me it's clearly unconstitutional.  I have said it before and I'll say it again, we have to break ourselves out of the compromise pattern we have become complacent with for decades out of fear they would take more of the pie this round only for them to take it next time anyway, we literaly compromised our right away for decades, that needs to end...  The time for compromising our rights away is over, it's time to take the right back in full and not give anything away.  Give them serials on guns, then they will push for serials on magazines, then they will push for serials on ammo, then they will push for a registery of every serialized part and bullet you own, Bruen gave us the test to entirely nip their unconstitutional demands and restore the right, the time is now...

Very well said. 

I agree completely but it's going to be difficult for some people to change their ways and stop compromising.  

For the record I also have NO problem with the several pro 2A groups, to include this forum,  I financially support battling against past, current and future infringements on our 2A RIGHTS. I remain a proud law-abiding gun owner in this sorry state of Illinois which by definition requires me to heed the existing laws. Until it hopefully gets ruled unconstitiutional and rescinded, that must include the idiotic 'ghost gun' ban. I do not own any firearms that lack a manufacturer's serial number, but if I did I would now choose to purchase a 'factory' serialized component for it while said law is in effect. In the case of say a kit-built AR, that would mean buying a cheaper-than-engraving-cost new factory lower and retrofitting it. And again, that's just MY choice for compliance with all current applicable rights-infringing legislation.

I admit that I do not view my compliance with existing law as a 'compromise'. I salute those in the forefront of the fight who choose to refuse to comply and are willing to accept any consequences of that refusal.

I argue that serial numbers have no beneficial effect for society. They serve no law enforcement purpose. Crimes are not detected, cleared, or prevented by having serial numbers. The only purpose is to identify what person owns what gun.

The rhetorical question then is, to what purpose does a government need this? While the answer is obvious to everyone, leftists refuse to honestly answer the question. Answering the question would betray their true intent. The good citizens, who find it so hard to vote in person, are foolishly or deliberately naive. They refuse to confront government, wanting to believe that it will just go away if you comply with it.
The time for compromise is over. We must attack with every legal means and challenge this state in Federal court every time state government oversteps its defined limits. Force them to articulate in court reasons for bad laws. Expose them to even the most complacent citizens. Attack every tax increase. Speak openly against politicians who seek your control. Our legal resistance needs to open a broader front against the usurpation of our civil rights. 

"I argue that serial numbers have no beneficial effect for society. They serve no law enforcement purpose. Crimes are not detected, cleared, or prevented by having serial numbers. The only purpose is to identify what person owns what gun."

If someone breaks into my home and steals a serialized firearm, I report the theft and the Police find said criminal with MY firearm? By matching the serial number it does confirm the criminal's possession of MY stolen firearm does it not? I submit that could be considered a law enforcement purpose. Same would apply to the matching VIN of a stolen vehicle or any other serial numbered item.

Archived