Ghost Gun Ban Signed Into Law Today, Illinois

Louie25

On 5/18/2022 at 11:23 AM, Louie25 said:

Crazy how the bill started out as a utilities related bill and was gutted and repacked with the new gun legislation.

Did you know that our current CCW law started out as HB 183 - a bill about signs concerning fees at ATM's? (D)a machine poison pilled Phelp's Family and Personal Protection Act (HB 997) with 8 amendments (including a 40 hour training requirement) to the point it was unsalvageable less than two months after the Moore decision. 

And despite rules that prohibit fast tracking bills into law, they had HB 183 perform over 91 separate actions between both bodies on a single day...

On 5/20/2022 at 2:36 PM, Dx54r said:

I might drive to an FFL next weekend and pay to have them register my whole car as an unfinished frame or receiver. Make or model? Uh... Buick.

I guess it's all fun and games until you get pulled over for speeding and they tell you to turn the gun off and step out of the gun.

THREAD WINNER!!

Congratulations! Please collect your prize in the lobby.

We hope you enjoy your new automobile accessory package.

gunhood.JPG.f7aa66c162d78017cc7a8c1cecdfff21.JPG

Of course this will work - until the majority of offenders using "ghost guns" in crimes are found to be under the purview of one legislative caucus or another. Then strict enforcement will be deemed to be offensive and bias-driven, and we'll wind up with yet another selectively prosecuted law that's only used to charge deplorables.

“Our government teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy.” Justice Brandeis in Olmstead v. U.S., 277 U.S. 438, 485 (1928). 

Guns made pre '68 that didn't have serial numbers would now be illegal.  Those still in circulation might be legacy guns handed down from a few generations.  I don't hear about those owners shooting people over a facebook post.  How lucky are we to get more laws against us while the criminals that criminal are teflon.  

From page 7 of the bill. Wouldn't this take care of the pre-serial number issue?

"

18       (h) Exceptions. This Section does not apply to an
19   unserialized unfinished frame or receiver or an unserialized
20   firearm that:
21           (1) has been rendered permanently inoperable;
22           (2) is an antique firearm, as defined in 18 U.S.C.
23       921(a)(16);
24           (3) was manufactured prior to October 22, 1968;

On 5/23/2022 at 10:40 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

So the hundreds of S&W pistols the gangs have that are all sand-cast off of the same master and have the same serial number are still OK.  Good to know.

Sandcast? Is believe that when I see it and the investment would be huge. 

I'd perminent mold and cnc or try investment cast first.  Green sand is a nasty business.   

On 5/24/2022 at 3:56 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Sandcast? Is believe that when I see it and the investment would be huge. 

I'd perminent mold and cnc or try investment cast first.  Green sand is a nasty business.   

I heard of them doing this in Rockford from a neighbor who was deep into one of the local motorcycle brotherhoods, as well as seeing it for myself in Brazil and Argentina.  I believe they use something like the S&W 6906 that was an all metal pistol and they sandcast the frames, I believe using the lost wax technique.  If you have cheap labor and lots of time I guess it works.  There used to be a pit you could shoot at north of Clinton WI where I encountered some assumed Rockford gang members testing their homemade pistols.  They were really proud of them, but they were really rough.  They must work because I heard shots as I was leaving.  I left quickly because it was a little scary.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:54 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

I heard of them doing this in Rockford from a neighbor who was deep into one of the local motorcycle brotherhoods, as well as seeing it for myself in Brazil and Argentina.  I believe they use something like the S&W 6906 that was an all metal pistol and they sandcast the frames, I believe using the lost wax technique.  If you have cheap labor and lots of time I guess it works.  There used to be a pit you could shoot at north of Clinton WI where I encountered some assumed Rockford gang members testing their homemade pistols.  They were really proud of them, but they were really rough.  They must work because I heard shots as I was leaving.  I left quickly because it was a little scary.

A cheap lathe/mill combo would be alot easier.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:54 PM, DoYouFeelLucky said:

I owned a foundry, I did permanent mold.  I visited a place doing sand casting it was enough to convince me I want didn't want to do that.  

If your doing it in a pit and avoiding all laws end environmental concerns. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:37 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

If you find one ;)

I had 2 lathes and Mill but I finally let them go it nearly took a fork lift to get them out. 

A cheap small one I would keep but when they reach the 4 digits in weight, time to go. 

I have a small bench top mill/lathe combo from Harbor Freight.  Used regularly, meaning almost daily, for the last 8 to 10 years now.  Two guys or one muscle freak can move it.  IIRC it was around $600 at the time.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Jeffrey said:

I have a small bench top mill/lathe combo from Harbor Freight.  Used regularly, meaning almost daily, for the last 8 to 10 years now.  Two guys or one muscle freak can move it.  IIRC it was around $600 at the time.

I've looked at that one, I just don't want to live here and I'm trying to escape.  

I'll use the one at my friends house I don't do. that much anymore I used to make replacement parts for antiques.  

Most parts weren't interchangeable back then it was always a bit of a challenge.  

I've retired from fixing antique firearms and gutta purcha, too much work. 

On 5/25/2022 at 3:22 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I've looked at that one, I just don't want to live here and I'm trying to escape.  

I'll use the one at my friends house I don't do. that much anymore I used to make replacement parts for antiques.  

Most parts weren't interchangeable back then it was always a bit of a challenge.  

I've retired from fixing antique firearms and gutta purcha, too much work. 

You've made the best decision.  Similar to a boat or a pool in the yard.  Keep those friends around that already have one.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I visited a place doing sand casting it was enough to convince me I want didn't want to do that.  

If your doing it in a pit and avoiding all laws end environmental concerns. 

Been doing it in my backyard, on my driveway, in my garage for years now, at least for aluminum and copper/brass, never pushed the temps needed for steel.

I agree with todays low cost CNC equipment, for the DIYer it's proactive to just machine the parts from graded billet vs risk potential casting flaws, at least for critial structure parts like the barrel or chamber.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 PM, Jeffrey said:

HF stopped carring the combo machines (as well as many other catalog only machine offerings years ago) kinda annoyed me as I kept putting off buying oneexpecting them to keep selling them, now you have to order from a place like Grizzly if you seek a low cost import 3 in 1 or many of the other machine shop tolls they used to offer.  It's really to the point if you want tools like this to have cash on hand and keep your eyes open for a vintage Bridgeport and whatever lathe on places like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, there are deals to be found as people don't want to be inconvienced with setting up a phase converter to run them in residential areas.

Archived