So who are you going to vote for in the primary for Governor?

vito

I hear ya 2A.  As much as I'd like to, it still functions as a great tool for a marketplace.  Buying and selling cars and motorcycles through there is easier than picking up the ol tradin' times.  Plus it covers much more area than just the midwest.  But I know where you're coming from.  I've just gotten to the point in my own life that I think if I were to cut off every business we all have gripes about, I'd have no where to go.  There's just always something to bish about.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:58 PM, Wideglide11 said:

I just got another mailer from Irvin.......two yesterday one today! Somebody needs to tell that sack o chit that he has officially influenced my vote. Anybody But Irvin!

If you believe polls he's got everyone else stomped, this is not an endorsement I'm just saying. 

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in the R primary is whether the winner stands even a <chance> against Pritzker.  We can talk about candidate polls and argue 2A positions all day long, but in the world of realpolitik all that matters is how the candidate will fare in the northeast corner of the state, regardless of theories of how he got on the ballot to begin with.  As I see it, Bailey or Sullivan have less than zero chance against Pritzker.  They'll draw next to no votes from Chicago.

IMO, the problem with IL conservatives is that, much like Chicago voters who habitually vote D "just because," IL cons vote R the same way....because that's what they've always done.  When their candidates lose, they stand around looking at each other like a cow at a new fence.  In doing so they completely neglect the realpolitik, the practical fact of the matter that Chicago wields an undue influence at election time.  It really sucks to be an IL conservative.  But instead of developing a different approach, one aimed at attracting more votes out of Chicago, what happens?  We keep on doing the same old thing and losing more votes to urban areas along the way!  And wow, does <that> ever work well!  D's now control both branches of the legislature and a porcine D roots around in the gov's sty. 

It's a shame to have to play politics with politics, but as IL residents that's the hand we've been dealt.  I've been voting R and 2A positions only for decades.  Locally, the situation isn't great but it is tolerable.  But at the state level?  I'm <very> tired of seeing witness slips ignored by committee chairs.  I'm tired of seeing the Speaker refuse to call bills.  I'm tired of a gov who rubber stamps any and all antigun bills that hit his desk.  Something needs to change.

How could a vote for Irvin possibly be any worse than the complete D control that exists now?

On 5/12/2022 at 12:41 PM, Prairie Pucker said:

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in the R primary is whether the winner stands even a <chance> against Pritzker.  We can talk about candidate polls and argue 2A positions all day long, but in the world of realpolitik all that matters is how the candidate will fare in the northeast corner of the state, regardless of theories of how he got on the ballot to begin with.  As I see it, Bailey or Sullivan have less than zero chance against Pritzker.  They'll draw next to no votes from Chicago.

IMO, the problem with IL conservatives is that, much like Chicago voters who habitually vote D "just because," IL cons vote R the same way....because that's what they've always done.  When their candidates lose, they stand around looking at each other like a cow at a new fence.  In doing so they completely neglect the realpolitik, the practical fact of the matter that Chicago wields an undue influence at election time.  It really sucks to be an IL conservative.  But instead of developing a different approach, one aimed at attracting more votes out of Chicago, what happens?  We keep on doing the same old thing and losing more votes to urban areas along the way!  And wow, does <that> ever work well!  D's now control both branches of the legislature and a porcine D roots around in the gov's sty. 

It's a shame to have to play politics with politics, but as IL residents that's the hand we've been dealt.  I've been voting R and 2A positions only for decades.  Locally, the situation isn't great but it is tolerable.  But at the state level?  I'm <very> tired of seeing witness slips ignored by committee chairs.  I'm tired of seeing the Speaker refuse to call bills.  I'm tired of a gov who rubber stamps any and all antigun bills that hit his desk.  Something needs to change.

How could a vote for Irvin possibly be any worse than the complete D control that exists now?

I want JB gone, Irwin has a B, if anyone can pull the votes from Chicago needed. 

Anything to beat JB Irwin will get my vote, maybe next time we will have a better choice. 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, Prairie Pucker said:

Couln't have said it better myself. The candidates that have the best chance to beat Pritzker are ones that appeal to moderates in urban areas. Rural areas will vote R regardless of name, we need to select whoever has the best chance even if they aren't the most "conservative" of the candidates.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:48 AM, Smallbore said:

Past Illinois rino governors have been as bad or worse then Pritzker.

I prefer to vote for the better guy even if he loses. I am done helping the bad guy.

This is why I don't really find the need to vote. In hindsight, Obama might have been more conservative than Mccain or Romney. Same thing with Rauner, I would rather have the dem if the only other option is a rino.

Someone said it earlier, make friends with new voters. Even if they have been voting D for a long time. The only reason is no one else courts them and properly. If the Rs of this state or in the Chicago area (if any exist?) would spend a little time in the hard hit communities, you will find majority law abiding citizens who just want to go to work and be left alone. But day in and out, they get told that the Rs are racist and don't want anything to do with them. Connect with them on religion, on family values (trust me, that is still important in the black AMERICAN household). Connect with them on gun rights, mentioning how gun control laws were historically racist. Connect with their desire to want safety in their communities by preaching self reliance and concealed carry. Don't be all uncomfortable about it either. Go and hang out for real. I am willing to bet after a few election cycles, the percentage of Rs in the state house increases and over time, maybe, just maybe gain the majority. But, the base has to want to have an open mind about it and not write off anyone as a RINO who does it.

Archived