So who are you going to vote for in the primary for Governor?

vito

On 4/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, vito said:

Accepting reality is necessary if any progress is ever to be made. In a state where a Pritzker and a Duckworth can be elected, electability is critical and I agree that Irvin as a Black man with money behind him is the best bet to beat the fat boy. 

FWIW, even though I’d rather have Bailey, I agree with your analysis. Reality is too that he’d be a massive improvement over the obese dude

On 4/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, vito said:

Accepting reality is necessary if any progress is ever to be made. In a state where a Pritzker and a Duckworth can be elected, electability is critical and I agree that Irvin as a Black man with money behind him is the best bet to beat the fat boy. 

Couldn't have said it better, sadly it's not who's the best it's who can beat JB, fat is in fashion ;) 

To choose not to vote for a candidate because you don’t think they are “electable” is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They won’t be “electable” because you didn’t vote for them.

Maybe the biggest thing Trump should have taught us in 2016 is that there really are no “unelectable” candidates, something perhaps Biden reinforced in 2020.

Select candidates based upon who most accurately represents your positions and beliefs and then VOTE FOR THAT CANDIDATE!

On 4/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, Tip said:

To choose not to vote for a candidate because you don’t think they are “electable” is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They won’t be “electable” because you didn’t vote for them.

Maybe the biggest thing Trump should have taught us in 2016 is that there really are no “unelectable” candidates, something perhaps Biden reinforced in 2020.

Select candidates based upon who most accurately represents your positions and beliefs and then VOTE FOR THAT CANDIDATE!

Trump didn't win in Illinois. 

Voting for whom best represents my values does absolutely no good if they're not electable in Illinois.  Sad, but political reality.  It makes me sick after each election to see the IL county map that shows all but 2 or 3 counties voting red, yet blue wins at the state and federal level.  I decided long ago that I would be a single-issue voter and that issue would be the 2A.  I've been voting my values for decades and it's gotten me/us/the state nowhere.  Despite electing local local pols who support the 2A, Chicago swamps out everything.  Plus now I'm stuck with a D in the US House and 2 D's in the US Senate and zero representation of my views at the federal level. 

I'd like to see an R candidate for gov who can go after JB in a knife fight and at least inflict serious damage, if not outright win.  My new motto is:  Whatever It Takes.  I think Irvin has the best chance of doing that.

First, with Madigan gone, the Springfield Dems may not be quite as hard to deal with, as he was the main cause of Rauner's inability to get anything done. Even those who considered Rauner a RINO probably would concede they'd rather have him in office than our current incumbent.

Having said that, I understand the impulse to vote in the primary for someone as close as possible to one's values and views. But as a practical matter, any Republican would be better than JB, and getting the person most likely to beat him on the ticket is my priority.

And realistically, name recognition and money matter. Griffin's money has already produced high quality TV ads to introduce Irvin, and I'm pretty sure this is just the opening salvo.

FWIW.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:25 PM, OrlandInstructor said:

I have heard each of the candidates speak in person (Except Irvin). So far, Bailey seems to be the biggest  supporter of the 2A community.

No one has heard Irvin speak.  Even when he has made a media appearance, he's been parroting his handlers and looking to them for cues.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:01 AM, springfield shooter said:

I don't pretend to know who would have a chance of beating JB. If the commercials airing (on cable, anyway) in the metro-east are any indication, I know who the Democrats are worried about. And that's Irvin.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:05 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Don’t know if you’ve seen them but I keep seeing an ad attacking Irvin and I noticed at the end they say it’s paid for by association for democratic governors.  Thinking the current occupant doesn’t like the optics of openly attacking someone who is African American.

Could this simply be the most incredible false-flag operation going?  

Not sure how I'll vote yet, but I know one thing. Jaba the Hut's latest TV ads make me sick every single morning. Suddenly he cares about the little guys here in Illinois. Suddenly he cares about fuel taxes being frozen (temporarily) and suddenly he cares about lowering property taxes.. What an ENORMOUS, lying piece of dung he is. That smirk on his face in his latest ad tells you all you need to know.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:30 PM, Bird76Mojo said:

Not sure how I'll vote yet, but I know one thing. Jaba the Hut's latest TV ads make me sick every single morning. Suddenly he cares about the little guys here in Illinois. Suddenly he cares about fuel taxes being frozen (temporarily) and suddenly he cares about lowering property taxes.. What an ENORMOUS, lying piece of dung he is. That smirk on his face in his latest ad tells you all you need to know.

Because of his commercials I’ve had to contact my cable company to get a new remote

I wore out the mute button. 🤯

I got an Irvin campaign nastygram in the mail today, aimed at both Bailey and Sullivan. And taking a shot at the Democrats for sticking their noses in the Republican primary to boot.

I don't ever recall this much interest in a Republican primary for governor. Hopefully it will lead to the best candidate (whichever one that is) winning.

Archived