Views and opinions on the 80% lower and frame kits?

Amirahsdaddy19

Don't know where else to pose this question, but this sub forum seemed to be best suited for it. I know many think those kits are only for criminals, and those who legally are eligible to purchase and own them aren't effected by the legislation. But hasn't the law, state and federal, that a person could manufacture a homemade firearm if they wanted as long as it wasn't done with an intention to sell it? And only if it were sold at some later point, a serial number would be applied for? Personally I prefer the experts build my firearms, as I value my hands and face, but I'm not sure these new bans are a good sign for anyone. 

Legislation, like the recent Illinois and white house pledge, will do nothing to the few criminals who are skilled enough to fabricate their own firearms. Law abiding people will potentially be legally harassed at taxpayers expense.  This is all just an overblown talking point by people that salivate over the power china has over it's people.

IMO, they're more trouble than they're worth, but I don't think you can apply one motivation for every individual who has built on them.  Some do it as a hobby, some do it because they don't want to be on a government confiscation list that may come in the future, and certainly a small percentage are criminals who want or sell untraceable firearms to use in crimes.  The reality of that, however, is that stolen guns or straw-purchased guns or illegally obtained guns are used in crimes, and some of the more sophisticated criminals might remove the serial numbers. 

In any event, they are legal, and IMO remain so, as the AFT has no lawful authority to rewrite the statutory definition of what a firearm or a receiver is; but, that is for the unfortunate test case victim or victims to make reality over the course of several years of costly litigation.  They do whatever they want, because there is quite simply no consequence whatsoever to them for illegally violating our rights, and they for the most part get their way for the several years in the interim.  So, for the AFT and their swampy masters, it's essentially a win either way.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, mau said:

That is an incorrect assumption!

I agree. The criminals in my area wouldn't take the time to build a gun. They easily arm themselves thanks to irresponsible gun owners in Missouri who leave their firearms in their vehicle parked in their driveway at home every night. See and he it on the news all the time, usually with security footage of the criminals checking for handles. Sure, LOCKING it in a car somewhere that prohibits carry, understandable. But leaving your firearm in an unlocked car at home? Much more convenient for them than building one up from the frame. Criminals aren't exactly known for taking the most difficult route, especially when they're almost guaranteed to find one out burglarizing cars.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, 2A4Cook said:

IMO, they're more trouble than they're worth, but I don't think you can apply one motivation for every individual who has built on them.  Some do it as a hobby, some do it because they don't want to be on a government confiscation list that may come in the future, and certainly a small percentage are criminals who want or sell untraceable firearms to use in crimes.  The reality of that, however, is that stolen guns or straw-purchased guns or illegally obtained guns are used in crimes, and some of the more sophisticated criminals might remove the serial numbers. 

In any event, they are legal, and IMO remain so, as the AFT has no lawful authority to rewrite the statutory definition of what a firearm or a receiver is; but, that is for the unfortunate test case victim or victims to make reality over the course of several years of costly litigation.  They do whatever they want, because there is quite simply no consequence whatsoever to them for illegally violating our rights, and they for the most part get their way for the several years in the interim.  So, for the AFT and their swampy masters, it's essentially a win either way.

Agree. It's eroding a right away for no reason other than advancing the anti firearm agenda. It was the ATF that defined what constitutes a firearm, pretty much their definition that brought about the 80% completion guidelines. What's very telling, is the 3D printed language. The whole argument about what constitutes a legally home built firearm goes out the window when a spool of polymer for a primer can be considered a precursor.  It's concerning where the ultimate goal of anti 2A politicians will leave us.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:52 PM, Jeffrey said:

Every law demorats come up with related to guns is in the favor of criminals only.  Show me one that helps our side.  I'll wait..

Show me a Republican who genuinely does anything to advance our rights? Just like the NRA, they're all a con. The only ones preserving the second amendment are constitutionalist judges. No politician, Democrat or Republican, really gives a darn about your rights. It's all lip service so they can get elected and live of they tax payer. Sooner we see the long con, the more secure we'll be in our rights and our freedoms. 

As far as people locking guns in cars I’ve seen a few posts where people around here are saying they have stuff taken out of their cars.  I always pull my ccl out of the car, and try to remember to lock.  Either way even if people get into my car they aren’t getting money or a weapon because those things aren’t left out there.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:19 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

As far as people locking guns in cars I’ve seen a few posts where people around here are saying they have stuff taken out of their cars.  I always pull my ccl out of the car, and try to remember to lock.  Either way even if people get into my car they aren’t getting money or a weapon because those things aren’t left out there.

That's called common sense sir. I totally agree and take the same approach. I'd hate to imagine the emotional damage behind the save law enforcement pursuing my stolen car being shot at with a weapon I left in it. Besides, does me no good out there in my vehicle if I'm inside in bed when the thieves make their early a.m. rounds. Might as well lock it in my safe if it's not going to do me any good should they try to enter my home.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:58 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

I keep mine in a specific place until bed, then I remove it from the holster and in a drawer beside the bed (I don’t have kids or grandkids), but the empty holster should give anyone entering my home that someone is likely armed.

Affirmative on that! However you're a braver person than I am! If they've made it far enough inside to see a holster in my place, something went wrong. I've got no youngans here in the house, but a very alert sixty pound rescue pittie sleeps with me every night. Where I'm at, we don't have the creeping type burglar, we get home invasions if anything. Hopefully I've issued them a verbal warning long before they make it that far. Best case scenario, they realize their poor decision making long before they get more than a few feet past whichever threshold they chose to come through. 

Well we have a relatively small home, with a small yorkie.  Little 8lb yapper.  At least with my house I’ve got storm doors that I keep locked, so to get in people are probably breaking glass and alerting Maximus (my wife named him, he thinks he’s as big as a Pitt though).  Max is the type of yorkie that a boxer came in our yard once and he was ready to throw down.  The boxer was afraid of him.  When the boxer went by his turf, I watched the boxer actually get as low as he could to the ground and crawl by him.  Max is a very sweet little dog but very territorial and a good watch dog.  But by the time he starts going wild then I should be alerted, and they still have to get through the main door that is dead bolted.  

I remember seeing videos that actually talked about putting longer screws into the door frame because it made the door harder to kick in.  Thinking I may need to do that.  Any obstacles I can put up give me time.  However the holster I spoke of I leave under the TV in the living room.  So that’s one of the first things they’d see.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Well we have a relatively small home, with a small yorkie.  Little 8lb yapper.  At least with my house I’ve got storm doors that I keep locked, so to get in people are probably breaking glass and alerting Maximus (my wife named him, he thinks he’s as big as a Pitt though).  Max is the type of yorkie that a boxer came in our yard once and he was ready to throw down.  The boxer was afraid of him.  When the boxer went by his turf, I watched the boxer actually get as low as he could to the ground and crawl by him.  Max is a very sweet little dog but very territorial and a good watch dog.  But by the time he starts going wild then I should be alerted, and they still have to get through the main door that is dead bolted.  

I remember seeing videos that actually talked about putting longer screws into the door frame because it made the door harder to kick in.  Thinking I may need to do that.  Any obstacles I can put up give me time.  However the holster I spoke of I leave under the TV in the living room.  So that’s one of the first things they’d see.

Awesome you mentioned putting the empty holster next to the TV. My CCL instructor used the example of one bad guy in the house carrying your 42 inch TV not being an immediate danger and therefore not legal to fire on. Your idea may be best, saving the TV and sending them on their way without more than damage to the door they came in! 

As they say, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. He doesn't have to be an attack dog to alert you to trouble, just make the racket lol. Best case scenario they're scared off by either the holster wondering where the firearm is, or Max. Better to be calling the cops to report the break in, than the trouble of trying to explain actually having to use the last line of defense. Especially in today's soft on crime, defenders treated like the criminal, environment.

Agreed, in our home however it’s basically that you get into the living room and are just a few feet from our bedroom.  So may not be much time for calling the cops until things have gone down.  Pretty much the bedroom is about 15-20 ft from the front door.  

That said I hope I NEVER need to hurt or kill anyone.  Just getting that out there.  But we live in the southwest part of the state, very conservative area down here from what I can tell.  However I’m a very peaceful person.  But if someone attacks my wife it’s on.

Disclaimer:  Do not take this advice below.

When I was a kid someone broke in our house while we were gone.  Someone also put a rock through our front window.  This was the 80s keep in mind. Dad said the detective told him if someone ever breaks into your house and you shoot them, to make sure you kill them.  In fact, the detective even told him if you have to, shoot them outside, clean the blood up, then drag them inside.  His reasoning was they couldn’t sue you.  And that the cops didn’t have to deal with them.  But that the family or the government would probably sue you, but that being alive and poor was better than being rich and dead.

Again, you probably shouldn’t follow the advice above, if you do, don’t look at me.  I’m just relaying what they told my father probably 35 years ago now.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:10 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

Agreed, in our home however it’s basically that you get into the living room and are just a few feet from our bedroom.  So may not be much time for calling the cops until things have gone down.  Pretty much the bedroom is about 15-20 ft from the front door.  

That said I hope I NEVER need to hurt or kill anyone.  Just getting that out there.  But we live in the southwest part of the state, very conservative area down here from what I can tell.  However I’m a very peaceful person.  But if someone attacks my wife it’s on.

Lucky you. I got family down there in Perry County, they actually don't lock doors! Was a major culture shock coming from the Metro East. 

On 4/12/2022 at 7:12 PM, rjgogo said:

Who needs an 80% when you can get this for 4K?  All you need is a block of metal

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1

the toothpaste is already out of the tube.  

I'd be careful if that too. They've moved the goalpost so far now, they include 3D printed receivers. That's the part that bothers me. If they're given an inch....

On 4/12/2022 at 7:21 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

We are in the metro east, but very safe little town I think.  A few areas in the metro east I won’t go to though.

Well, here's hoping it stays that way. The area I'm in used to be one of the worst, now after the Cahokia Heights fiasco, I feel safer here than there. 

There are areas you have to be careful. I didn’t realize this until 2020, but there was a blm protest in our town.  Went down my street actually but was peaceful.  A guy we know who used to be a marine told us if things would have gotten out of hand that there’s actually a militia around somewhere.  I couldn’t tell you anything else, had not even realized or crossed my mind that was the case.  I just have enough for home protection.  

i will say one of my funnest gun memories was when I was about 10 and a guy we went to church with in North Carolina was a captain in the marines, he took me to the base and got an m16 out of the armory.  I got to shoot on the automatic 3 round burst which was pretty cool.  Of course this was 30 something years ago before 9/11.  Couldn’t do that now but I won’t forget how much fun that was.

On 4/12/2022 at 3:02 PM, Amirahsdaddy19 said:

Show me a Republican who genuinely does anything to advance our rights? Just like the NRA, they're all a con. The only ones preserving the second amendment are constitutionalist judges. No politician, Democrat or Republican, really gives a darn about your rights. It's all lip service so they can get elected and live of they tax payer. Sooner we see the long con, the more secure we'll be in our rights and our freedoms. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/us/georgia-permitless-gun-carry-law-signed/index.html

On 4/13/2022 at 8:29 AM, Jeffrey said:

Did you really read the article? Nothing there tripped your BS sensors? I'll point out a few things. CNN is ran by neo liberal hack journalists who always skew their reporting. There's nothing wrong with watching our reading their work, but keep in mind, as with any source, you need to be aware of their bias and motivation. Example the language ”Controversial permitless carry laws" didn't strike you as a way to say constitutional carry? One place where they said the quiet part out loud was the remark about this Governor trying to save face with Trump voters, I guess because he lost favor because he didn't participate in the stolen election narrative? The article only mentions two disqualifiers, when you should know it's not that cut and dry. CNN, again neo liberal mouthpieces, aren't going to go into detail about how impotent some of these bills are, they want outrage among their target demographic thinking "Republican" governors are handing out surplus BAR "assault rifles" from the big war at the polling places. It's all a division tactic. Finally, as if it's not obvious, the whole "rights restored" part may as well read "wealthy enough", especially in a state that a petty crime as a teenager can be held against a person for life. Finally, how hard was it to get a carry license in Georgia in the first place? Will this really do anything to make carry accessible to more Americans than before? Again, lip service and posturing, nothing more, nothing less. But congrats I guess it gives people hope who only look at it at face value. I'm a little more skeptical, after all, it was a Republican Governor who made California the stencil for cookie cutter firearms prohibition. I do appreciate you sharing the article, it just does nothing to change my view of those who don't let the Constitution talk for itself. 

You can make the font as large as you'd like but it won't change the fact that you asked for an example of a Republican advancing our rights and I obliged.  If you believe a governor signing a Constitutional carry bill into law is lip service and posturing, I won't waste my time.  I personally consider it a huge win for us as well as the party.  I don't see the other side helping us.  I offered a CNN article in case you had your doubts about other media streams.

Archived