Employee accidentally discharges gun, shooting himself and teenager at gun range in Waukegan

GSDlady

https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2022/04/02/employee-accidentally-discharges-gun-shooting-himself-and-teenager-at-gun-range-in-waukegan/?fbclid=IwAR3BOUQxiS_Ri7IL_0EP802ZV17KI7LdTBFB87DJSyigg0Bv-yZrcjoG4mo

An employee accidentally discharged a gun, shooting himself and a teenager inside a gun range in Waukegan Friday afternoon, police said.

The Waukegan Fire Department and Waukegan Police Department responded around 2:15 p.m. Friday to Caliber Tactical Gun Range, 3059 Washington Street in Waukegan for a report of a shooting.

Waukegan Deputy Police Chief Joe Florip said officers received a call for two people who were shot inside the building during an accidental discharge incident.

A male employee, who is from McHenry and in his 50s, was sitting at a table just outside of the firing range lanes.  The employee accidentally discharged his pistol, Florip said.

The bullet went through his thigh, ricocheted off the floor and struck the wrist of an adult male teenager from Libertyville, who was seated.

Two ambulances were called to the scene and both victims were transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville.

Officers processed the scene and the discharged firearm and spent shell casing were collected for evidence, Florip said.  It was not known whether any charges would be filed in the case.

The incident remains under investigation by the Waukegan Police Department.

My suspicion is that he was cleaning his own gun or a rental, it was striker fired, and he didn't unload the chamber before pulling the trigger to disassemble it. I don't think anyone collects statistics on exactly that set of circumstances, and I don't want to turn this thread into a religious war, but I get the impression that it's not exactly rare for negligent discharges.

As for not being certain whether charges will be filed, negligent discharges aren't necessarily reckless. Recklessness usually requires an element of willful disregard for safety. Honest stupidity doesn't count. Somebody's insurance better have liability coverage, though, no matter what waivers were signed and on file.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:19 PM, Euler said:

My suspicion is that he was cleaning his own gun or a rental, it was striker fired, and he didn't unload the chamber before pulling the trigger to disassemble it.

If it was a Glock... There's a cure for that.

*System Modifies Disassembly for Cleaning no longer requiring trigger to be pulled

On 4/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, soundguy said:
On 4/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, Euler said:

My suspicion is that he was cleaning his own gun or a rental, it was striker fired, and he didn't unload the chamber before pulling the trigger to disassemble it.

If it was a Glock... There's a cure for that.

*System Modifies Disassembly for Cleaning no longer requiring trigger to be pulled

Locking the slide back to remove the backplate already ejects the round from the chamber. I'm disinclined to call that a "cure." Plus, if you take the backplate off, you might as well take the striker out, too. That doesn't require buying a $99 aftermarket kit.

On 4/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, bosshogg said:

Main reason I don't like going to public ranges anymore, I'm spoiled with my access to multiple private ranges. I can count on one hand how many times I've been to a public range in my lifetime.  

I agree, I stopped going to public ranges 5 plus years ago. I enjoyed shooting at my local public range. I met some nice people there and got help from some really amazing pistol shooters as well. then one day, a group of three guys came in, and what I saw was 100% clowns. Totally unsafe practices, clowning around, muzzling themselves and others. Yikes, that scared the heck out of me. The guy who was running the range that day called the three of them out over the PA system. He banned them for life and didn't allow them to go back to get their gear. He did that himself. It gets real intense, real fast when you have unsafe clowns on a gun range. We belong to a private club now, and I've only witnessed one group of clowns in the bay next to us. I walked over and respectfully asked them to tighten things up or leave, as we didn't feel safe. They tightened things up STAT, thankfully.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:19 PM, Euler said:

My suspicion is that he was cleaning his own gun or a rental, it was striker fired, and he didn't unload the chamber before pulling the trigger to disassemble it. I don't think anyone collects statistics on exactly that set of circumstances, and I don't want to turn this thread into a religious war, but I get the impression that it's not exactly rare for negligent discharges.

As for not being certain whether charges will be filed, negligent discharges aren't necessarily reckless. Recklessness usually requires an element of willful disregard for safety. Honest stupidity doesn't count. Somebody's insurance better have liability coverage, though, no matter what waivers were signed and on file.

Either that, or showing his carry gun without clearing it.   They USED to not let you clean at those tables at Caliber.  But, it has been a few years since I have been there, as they had crappy air filtration, and only allowed small caliber rifles and handguns.

You’re allowed to fondle you firearms outside the range at the tables behind the range at Shoot Point Blank (aka new name)

The wife and I went there to check them out. Sitting at a table and watching peeps shoot. Two guys come out with three range bags between them. Sit down and proceed to lay out four handguns and fondling them and pointing then everywhere. One guy points at the check in/ rental area and says “check out these night sights”.

We got up and left as fast as we could. And haven’t been back nor will we be going to those facilities ever.

When I hear guys complain about a range and the strict rules they enforce, I have to shake my head and then we read these almost every six months!

On 4/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, Bubbacs said:

You’re allowed to fondle you firearms outside the range at the tables behind the range at Shoot Point Blank (aka new name)

The wife and I went there to check them out. Sitting at a table and watching peeps shoot. Two guys come out with three range bags between them. Sit down and proceed to lay out four handguns and fondling them and pointing then everywhere. One guy points at the check in/ rental area and says “check out these night sights”.

We got up and left as fast as we could. And haven’t been back nor will we be going to those facilities ever.

When I hear guys complain about a range and the strict rules they enforce, I have to shake my head and then we read these almost every six months!

Well that would never happen at Shoot Point Blank in Mokena.  Your gun has to be cased anywhere outside  of your shooting lane.  The back tables are for reloading magazines, stacking targets or similar items.  Any exposed gun has to be left on your enclosed lane table and pointed down range.  I can't believe other Range USA locations (Point Blank) do not operate in exactly the same way that I see in Mokena every month over the last several years.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, Bubbacs said:

No, you're not allowed to do that at any of their ranges. Fake news. 

I was at Caliber yesterday to take a couple newbie shooters. I asked the person at the desk what happened and didn’t really expect an answer. The response I got was.  “Everyone is fine and don’t believe what you read on social media.” I pressed politely and got nothing, don’t blame them but still curious if this was a reholster issue or something else.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, Rmac702 said:

Well that would never happen at Shoot Point Blank in Mokena.  Your gun has to be cased anywhere outside  of your shooting lane.  The back tables are for reloading magazines, stacking targets or similar items.  Any exposed gun has to be left on your enclosed lane table and pointed down range.  I can't believe other Range USA locations (Point Blank) do not operate in exactly the same way that I see in Mokena every month over the last several years.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:20 PM, spanishjames said:

No, you're not allowed to do that at any of their ranges. Fake news. 

I like the Fake News that's a hoot. But yes at Mokena shortly after they opened up. But then no one likes to hear that these things DO happen. Saying that one is not allowed to DO something doesn't mean it doesn't happen either. But I have no proof and no one got shot or killed! So like they say in every situation in real life, No Harm No Foul! 

On 4/3/2022 at 7:57 PM, John Q Public said:

It chaps me when people call this an AD, this is an ND.  If a firearm goes off by itself, that's an AD, if you put your finger on the bang switch that's an ND.

JQ

Amen.  Calling it an AD adds fuel to the anti-gun notion that firearms go off by themselves.  Every time there is an "accidental" shooting, someone did something very stupid and unsafe.  Every time (at least with a modern firearm).  Someone pulled the trigger on a loaded firearm without having it pointed in a safe direction.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:05 AM, Xwing said:

Amen.  Calling it an AD adds fuel to the anti-gun notion that firearms go off by themselves.  Every time there is an "accidental" shooting, someone did something very stupid and unsafe.  Every time (at least with a modern firearm).  Someone pulled the trigger on a loaded firearm without having it pointed in a safe direction.

Blame the politicians and lawyers. Calling a negligent discharge negligent means some human has liability. Calling a negligent discharge accidental means it was an act of God.

"I don't know who's responsible, but it isn't me."

Archived