Proposal to make ghost guns illegal introduced in IL House

guzzimike66

On 3/31/2022 at 4:56 PM, Smallbore said:

How many criminal types build guns? Of the few how many will this effect?

If I was to guess there are quite a few 'Second Amendment prohibited' people building them, right or wrong, agree or not as to their criminal status, I'm sure they are out there in significant numbers.  But. I would guess by and large the people building them are not prohibited, just people that want to give it a spin for other reasons.....  Either way, laws like this proposed one won't change a thing in that regard, these 'prohibited' people will not be getting their prohibited firearms serialized any day soon.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:40 PM, Flynn said:

This is a classic case of the ATF and others loving the "Illusory Truth Effect" aka making people believe it's illegal by allowing some to proclaim it's illegal without ever correcting them or remaining mostly silent on the subject of it being legal.  There is still a vast portion of the general public that fully believes it's 100% illegal for you to make your own firearm at all.

It's fun to mess with their heads when you point out that one can build a shotgun with a nail, an end cap, a few lengths of black pipe and a 2x4 cut to something looking like a stock. All for maybe 10-15 bucks.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:49 PM, guzzimike66 said:

It's fun to mess with their heads when you point out that one can build a shotgun with a nail, an end cap, a few lengths of black pipe and a 2x4 cut to something looking like a stock. All for maybe 10-15 bucks.

I enjoy pictures of homemade shotguns at gun buybacks almost as much as pictures of Ukrainian farmers stealing Russian tanks with their tractors. 

On 3/31/2022 at 4:47 PM, Euler said:

Machine shops that offered that service were prohibited from providing that service simply because it was still a service provided by the machine shop. Independent of who pressed the start button and who owned the raw aluminum block, the frame/receiver was made on a mill owned by the machine shop in the machine shop supervised by machine shop personnel.

An interesting twist would be to see of the ATF could prohibit a machine shop from renting out its mills. Then a private individual would make a receiver on a mill owned by the machine shop, rented by the individual, in his home supervised by nobody. The delivery and liability insurance might make it disadvantageous economically.

Yes but if you actually owned the foundry with a machine shop and a Fadal  ;) 

On 4/1/2022 at 8:58 AM, Smallbore said:

The anti freedom people do not realize how many lathes and milling machines exist in fly over country. They would hyperventilate to know how cheap one can purchase a small milling machine. Not to mention 3d printers and cnc machines.

Peasants and slaves will only be controlled to the extent they are willing.

A quick web search and you can find a CAD file for an AR receiver.  A bench top mill/lathe combo can be had brand new from Harbor Freight for around $700.  Whether you want to spend some coin or a nail and black pipe method for only a few bucks, as hard as they try, they'll never get rid of them.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jeffrey said:

A quick web search and you can find a CAD file for an AR receiver.  A bench top mill/lathe combo can be had brand new from Harbor Freight for around $700.  Whether you want to spend some coin or a nail and black pipe method for only a few bucks, as hard as they try, they'll never get rid of them.

You need a bit more to get that mill to take CAD files but these guys have turnkey units: Sieg x2 Benchtop Mill (cncconversionplus.com) or bolt on kits if you already have the mill. Kind of expensive but won't get you on a list the same way the $2500 Ghostgunner machines might.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, Jeffrey said:

You can buy a higher quality 3D printer for $600 and print all of them you want for around $20 in material. 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:41 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

You can buy a higher quality 3D printer for $600 and print all of them you want for around $20 in material. 

IF I were to get into it, cutting metal would definitely be the preferred option.  Nothing wrong with this one however.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, davel501 said:

You need a bit more to get that mill to take CAD files but these guys have turnkey units: Sieg x2 Benchtop Mill (cncconversionplus.com) or bolt on kits if you already have the mill. Kind of expensive but won't get you on a list the same way the $2500 Ghostgunner machines might.

The bench top I have is entirely manually operated the old fashion way.  The bridgeport has controls.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI.... even though HB4383 has not been signed into law yet by Gov Pritzker,  companies are already restricting shipments of 80% lowers and jigs (although ironically not jig parts) to Illinois. 5D Tactical and 80% Arms are two that I am aware of. I reached out to them but have not heard back yet.

MW

On 4/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, guzzimike66 said:

FYI.... even though HB4383 has not been signed into law yet by Gov Pritzker,  companies are already restricting shipments of 80% lowers and jigs (although ironically not jig parts) to Illinois. 5D Tactical and 80% Arms are two that I am aware of. I reached out to them but have not heard back yet.

MW

here is my plan to tackle all this: 

A: build whatever you want.

B: Put a random serial number on it

C: if LE ever runs the numbers they will either come up empty or with a number off someone else's gun (either way it doesn't matter).

D: if they get pissy about it "I bought it completed like that a few years ago from an individual at a gun show, I don't remember his name because as the buyer I am not required to save the seller's info"

On 4/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, mauserme said:

Yes, but they take comfort in the fact that they can trace that Glock's ownership right up to the point it was reported stolen and disappeared from the books.

Not it you just take the parts an give the frame to your dog. 

My point is a felon can buy and doesn't care where a gun came from cheaper than building one. 

I dont see a underground ghost gun manufacturing plant opening anytime soon..

On 4/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

Not it you just take the parts an give the frame to your dog. 

My point is a felon can buy and doesn't care where a gun came from cheaper than building one. 

I dont see a underground ghost gun manufacturing plant opening anytime soon..

I doubt all this ghost gun nonsense is pretty made up by law enforcement to pass these laws. I’m sure some are found but not widespread like they make it out to be. Theres no shortage of straw purchases being made. I see no point in paying the same price for an 80 percent in the eyes of a criminal. In the end of the day, its not about keeping the streets safe. If they wanted to do that, they would keep violent criminals locked up instead of letting them go with a light sentence.

First it was “Saturday night specials” that was the cause of all the violence 

Then it was so-called assault weapons

Then it was hi capacity magazines.

Now it’s ghost guns.

Death by 1000 cuts. 

The rabid anti gun zealots will never stop.

Cant we all just admit it’s the gangs and the drugs that fuel the gangs that are the problem?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 10:50 AM, guzzimike66 said:

Effective upon signing, any person who sells, offers to sell, or transfers a ghost gun can be found guilty of a Class 4 felony for the first violation, and a Class 2 felony for subsequent violations.

Effective 180 days after signing, any person who is found possessing, transporting or receiving a ghost gun can be found guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for the first violation, and a Class 3 felony for subsequent violations.

So, you have 180 days to, what, destroy your property without recompense?  Ex post facto law, unlawful taking of property without just compensation, unconstitutional under the 2A ... take your pick.  And Jabba will sign it, and the morons will reelect him as High Hutt ...

On 5/18/2022 at 11:01 AM, Yas said:

You know someones got to give the cook county criminal element credit. Their not stupid and excellent at communicating amongst each other and are experts in exploiting loopholes. 

So should we await the stampede of ghost gun turn-in's at St Sabinas? 

Wait until the homeless figure out the police can no longer remove them for trespassing (Illinois law) and only give them a ticket, they will start setting up housing in Ogilvie.  Metra, and CTA. 

I'd put a tent down in the food court... 

On 5/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, 2A4Cook said:

So, you have 180 days to, what, destroy your property without recompense?  Ex post facto law, unlawful taking of property without just compensation, unconstitutional under the 2A ... take your pick.  And Jabba will sign it, and the morons will reelect him as High Hutt ...

And yet they continue to ignore the fact that these individuals caught with them either have no FOID and/or are felons and in both cases can't have them legally in either case. But apparently little 15 year old Johnny with a "ghost gun" and a police record is the victim and would surely be helping old ladies across the street instead if they didn't exist. 

Apparently, a mother of a Dem-base group brought a gun with her into her child's school yesterday, and it went off in an unexplained way and grazed somebody.  The "news" this morning was predictable, and macabrely hilarious:

" ... a gun found its way into the school and ... "

Yes, it was not the "protected class" parent.  The pistol found its own way into the school as fast as its little legs could carry it, and apparently the NRA mind-controlled it into pulling the trigger.  Not one negative inference against the individual the so-called "reporter" referred to as "a mom."

Archived