I know almost nothing about Republicans seeking statewide offices

vito

I’ve seen a lot of ads for Mayor Irvin, but that’s about it for Governor. I don’t have a clue about the folks wanting to run for Attorney General or Secretary of State. It would be nice to know who are our friends from a 2nd Amendment perspective. 

I met Jessie Sullivan last Sunday at an event in Bloomington Illinois. He’s young. With a young family. From Petersburg Illinois. Grew up on a farm. Worked in Afghanistan for the Army as a civilian intelligence analyst. Says he carries the same sidearm in Illinois, that he carried in Afghanistan. 

https://jessesullivan.com/meet-sully/

On 3/19/2022 at 8:34 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

Any of them has to be a better governor than the current occupant.

Darren Bailey would be a HUGE improvement IMHO.   Yea, he will be held back from governing by the corrupt Democrat machine but he will at least be on our side and prevent as much legislative damage as he could.   He also picked a running mate that checks two boxes and will be what the progressives hate the most, a Black female Conservative

On 3/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, 2A4Cook said:

Let's be realistic:  the only power any Republican governor would actually have is the same as Rauner had -- veto power.

That was the only reason I can come up with positive about his term.  Although it might not seem like much to most, putting a halt to Illinois politics is always going to be a W.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, djmarkla said:

There is a recently announced PAC supporting Darren Bailey. As of now he is the best candidate running.

Beta was better than VHS too.  He may be the best candidate but the color of his money isn't going to pull the votes needed out of Chicago and Aurora.  

We will see but I bet it'll be a RINO or JB.. 

Irvin is a huge anti 2A guy. Don't be fooled by his nonsense. When i saw his commercials, I thought, hey I really like this guy for governor. Then I did my homework. He's right up there with the mayor of Highland Park and Oak Park as far as the anti 2A stance. I use to workout with the mayor of Oak Park back when I was still working in the city. Back then he was not mayor of OP yet and a restaurant owner.  I'm sure he still owns multiple very good restaurants and is still a very nice guy, but he's also very anti 2A. I was disappointed to learn that Mayor Irvin was so anti 2A. I'm gonna blow with the wind and follow the pack here as far as who gets my vote for governor. As long as it isn't JB, and we can get a 2A friendly candidate, I'm good to go. 

On 3/23/2022 at 8:51 AM, Jeffrey said:

Irvin aint nothing but a RINO.  Supported defunding of police, supported mask/vax mandates, while mayor.  Now suddenly wants to become Gov and does a perfect 180 on both issues.  Licks finger, checks wind direction, moves with the latest trends..

This election isn't going to be won over political policy or beliefs, the results will be very black and white. 

I hate to see these other great candidates p... away lot of money away even trying. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've known Darren Bailey for years.  He is a basically nice guy and solid on the 2nd amendment; but I'm not convinced he would make a good / effective Governor.  I think we'd see worse gridlock than we did with Bruce Rauner if he actually won; but I suspect he would get smeared even worse than estimates show in the general.  Proposals to break Chicago off from rest of the state and some of his other comments are ready made campaign fodder to ensure he loses big in the Chicago area in the general election.

I think Irvin is essentially a Democrat running as a Republican.

I think Schimpf would probably actually make the best Governor; but has almost no chance due to lack of resources.  I really wish he had ran again for Attorney General.  His previous effort was against Lisa Madigan and that result was predictable.  I think he might have had a chance this time as we don't have a good choice there.  There is no way I could vote for Tom DeVore because I know way too much about him and the other Republican candidate doesn't sound like anything special.

I've talked with Gary Rabine and Aaron Delmar quite a bit.  I don't really think Gary Rabine can beat Pritzker in the general (I don't think any Republican candidate will be able to); but I do think he is likely our best chance at having a true Republican Governor who is effective and supports the second amendment.

Not only do we need a true Republican Governor, we need more Republican legislators if we hope to stymie the anti gun agenda. 

Here are a couple links that might be of interest.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7659/Which-party-will-win-the-2022-Illinois-gubernatorial-election

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/governor/illinois/

The state Democratic party has started running attack ads on Irvin. The primary hasn't occurred yet, but they appear to have already assumed Irvin will be the Republican candidate in the general election.

Irvin has started running response ads against ... Madigan ... (well, Madigan and Pritzker)

On 4/7/2022 at 7:52 PM, Euler said:

The state Democratic party has started running attack ads on Irvin. The primary hasn't occurred yet, but they appear to have already assumed Irvin will be the Republican candidate in the general election.

Irvin has started running response ads against ... Madigan ... (well, Madigan and Pritzker)

I find it humorous that the Democrats are accusing Irvin (in his former capacity as a defense attorney) of being soft on criminals.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:00 AM, Ranger said:

I think Schimpf would probably actually make the best Governor; but has almost no chance due to lack of resources.  I really wish he had ran again for Attorney General. 

Sen. Schimpf:  Nice guy, totally qualified except does not have enough personality to be governor.  Makes Rauner look like one of the Animaniacs.

Rabine: Knows about paving, and how that translates into the chops to be governor.  Yells at me (and everyone else) when I have seen him in person.  I don't like people that yell at me.  Knows about paving.  It's really hard to run for governor if you have never held office before and you don't already have name recognition like Trump or Schwarzenegger.

Solomon:  Nice guy, well educated, great speaker.  I'd really like to see him run for an office he can win, like state Representative.  It's really hard to run for governor if you have never held office before - redux.

Sullivan: Tall, Handsome, Rich, Ran away from San Francisco to join the Illinois Circus.  Selling this guy as a conservative is like trying to sell that salsa from NYC.

Mayor Irvine:  Yesterday's Democrat does not make tomorrow's GOP governor no matter how many times Ken the Billionaire's money says it.

Senator Bailey:  Really has a farm.  Really is a nice guy. Ran for the IL House because he was sick of the status quo.  Ran for the IL senate for the same reason.  Really has name recognition because he and his followers have built a true grassroots movement.  Does not yell at people, doesn't have to and wouldn't need to, connects with people instead.  Once people see and hear him once, they are instant followers.  Has a convincing spiel. Unabashedly follows his faith.

I've heard that from others about Schimpf too; but then I heard he was the best speaker / most likable candidate at a recent event several I know attended.

I've talked with Rabine and Delmar.  They never yelled at me or anyone else while I was around and I know some people that know them both much better (as well as most of the other candidates).  The initially supported Bailey; but then switched to Rabine and now support him.  They really like Schimpf; but think he is at a big disadvantage due to not being as extroverted and not having enough resources to really compete.

Bailey has yelled at people and he has lied (which I guess pretty much everyone does to one extent or another); but he is a generally nice guy and would be a true 2nd amendment advocate.  I've defended him multiple times from some unjust criticism.  There are a lot of people who know Bailey well and are not followers.  They don't speak up due to the intensity of some of those who are Bailey followers; but they will certainly not be voting for him.

It will be very interesting how the election turns out.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:16 AM, RandyP said:

Wait a sec - I'm a lifelong Chicagoan.... are you trying to say that there are REPUBLICANS in Illinois??????  *I are flabbergasted!

And THAT ^^^^ right there sums up why and how this state is/got so fricking screwed up…….

Archived