slide damage on taurus gx4

illinois_buckeye

Just noticed as I'm starting to carry more a bit of light scratching on my taurus gx4 as I conceal it.  Finding I prefer a sticky holster for pocket carry.  The scratching mostly seems to be on the top of the slide where it would contact the front edge of the holster.  I wonder if the holster is slightly too large for it?  Was considering picking up one of these if anyone has any thoughts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304241740967?hash=item46d6388ca7:g:BJ0AAOSwVwRa69gT

Also, for the scratches, if a little oil doesn't help, I notice they make a blueing pen?  Anyone ever try one of those?  Something like this perhaps?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264116571581?epid=27015885394&hash=item3d7e930dbd:g:yi0AAOSwi8VZXPEF

Just trying to keep it in good shape. 

I have a J&J pocket holster for my Sig P238. It fits well, but I prefer OWB carry in a leather holster from Privateer Leather. Pocket carry just doesn't work for me.

I have purchased a number of used High Powers, some blued and some anodized, all of which exhibit similar patterns of holster wear. It's a fact of life. Wherever the holster rubs, there will eventually be some wear on pretty much any finish. Stainless steel may fare better. I imagine a tight fitting holster will rub less... I don't know for sure.

In three years of carry I see no new wear on my two favorites; new Sig P238 Legion and used refinished Alloy Detective High Power.

I looked at the J&J.  May pick one up.  I’ve got a tighter fitting holster that my little Taurus spectrum 380 is in that the gx4 will fit, maybe I’ll try it in there.  The scratches were right along the top in line with the sights.  I suspect the sticky holster I’ve got is a little too big for it and the inner edge is getting pushed into the slide.  

I don’t see myself as open carry, and for me personally, I actually had ordered a nice iwb holster, but whenever I went to bend too much I felt the pistol was going to fall out.  Pocket carry personally just feels more comfortable I think so far.  But I’ll try a tighter holster and may spring for one of the J&J holsters you mentioned.  At least the pistol is a Taurus and not a high end Glock that I paid more for.  Thanks for the tips.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, illinois_buckeye said:

I don’t see myself as open carry, and for me personally, I actually had ordered a nice iwb holster, but whenever I went to bend too much I felt the pistol was going to fall out.

To be clear, I do not open carry. I carry OWB with a cover garment. OWB is far more comfortable than IWB especially with a full sized pistol. I have worn a vest every day for decades, I like pockets for my stuff, so OWB was a great fit for me. 

I’m guessing you have a nice Hybrid Style IWB holster. These rely on tension from your belt for retention. When that tension is momentarily removed, pants down in the stall, your pistol WILL fall out. 

Pick up a good custom holster molded for your gun. You can find them in kydex or leather. I prefer leather and am quite happy with a couple models from Privateer Leather. Wes, the owner/holster maker is a great guy to deal with and made a couple extra custom holsters for my short slide High Power. They cost more than a Hybrid but will last a lifetime. 

NEVER cheap out on your holster!

Black is OWB Corsair with P238

Tan is IWB Cutthroat with BHP Detective

Holsters.thumb.jpg.1b5013d6c8bfba604a557774666a484a.jpg

One last bit on cover garments…

I have used a Columbia Fleece Vest for work for as long as I can remember in all seasons and weather. Because I like the stuff in its pockets to be lower, I always buy the Tall version rather than the regular. I am not tall at 5’7”. I also like it one size larger for extra comfort. 

Last fall we were working with an armed security guy who had basically the same vest I have… he seemed to appreciate the tip to get the Tall version as he was concerned about exposing his OWB pistol when reaching up. 

I do the same with shirts I might wear untucked. I have always preferred a cover garment that covers my jeans pockets… kind of like a suit coat does. 

With the extra length and room, a High Power on my hip cannot be detected. 

Those with more carry experience may have different thoughts on this. 

While I like Privateer Leather, there are many great holster makers out there!

Ebay link I know, but I ended up settling on this one since I still do like to pocket carry thus far, and with the gx4 and loose pants it looks like a wallet in my front pocket.  I've not hardly had anyone notice that I've been around.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144248521696?var=443698492218

They had this nice leather holster and I was able to select one that is specifically for the gx4.  So hopefully this will be the ticket.  Out of 94,000+ feedback the seller has a 99.5% positive rate, so hopefully that means this will be a good experience.  

Taurus Slides are notorious for scuffing and scratching very easily. They've come a long way, but I'd love to see them use a tougher finish on the slides. We have a few TX 22's for range use. They're fabulous 22's, but the slides are scuffed and worn a lot from going in and out of the kydex OWB holsters so often. They still  run like champs though and we have mucho huge round counts on both. Ahhh, I'm down to the last of my 3.3 cent rounds of Aguila Super Extra Copper Washed 40 grain round nose. I miss those prices. Sorry I'm of no help when it comes to offering a solution for your scratched slide.

That looks nice also.  I ordered one of those leather holsters so I’ll see how that works and put the other on the list as a backup option.  If the scratches get too bad maybe I’ll see what it would be for someone to redo the finish, maybe to have it blued on just the slide portion.  But I think a lot was the fact that the sticky holster I had was slightly too big and was rubbing.  Mainly as long as it operates if needed.  Hopefully I never need to use this weapon in an emergency though.

One thing I do think I like about pocket carry though is that imagine if I feel very uneasy, put my hand into my pocket and keep walking not obvious that I’m reaching into a holster.

Archived