C&R

McCroskey

Some years ago, I obtained my C&R. It expired long ago and I didn't renew it because at the time I needed to hold on to my money more than I needed another gun. Later, I wound up selling off much of what I bought for various reasons.

Now that I'm living outside of the City of Chicago and am a homeowner, I'm in a bit better position to start purchasing again. Southern Ohio Gun closed up shop a few years ago, but I see a couple other dealers I bought from are around and seem to have some stuff in inventory. And there's always gunbroker.

What are people's impressions of the state of the C&R world these days? Is it still worthwhile to get?

The days of the couple hundred dollar SKS and 89 dollar Mosin are long gone, which is the reason I got mine many years ago.

I've kept mine current and keep a few copies in my truck.  It's come in very handy (No running back 3 days later) at gun shows and out of the way shops where I picked up some 60's and early 70's Colt's.

For the price and relative ease of obtaining, I'd say it's worth it.

Ok, looks like I'm gonna get my C&R again). 😀

On the topic of the days of cheap guns being over, I bought my MN 91/30 around 2002. I think I paid $90 to someone on GunsAmerica and $20 for the dealer transfer. Now I see them listed for $600 on GunBroker. Same with my Nagant M1891... Paid like $80 from J&G 5-6 years ago and I'm seeing even those are up in price.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:07 PM, aerxx said:

I have mine and a few SBR's, worth it IMO since they changed the law that your don't have to have your CLEO approve it, you just have to notify them.

Do you mean you have to notify your CLEO that you're getting your C&R or you're notifying them that you're getting an SBR? or both?

In either case, is there a sample letter out there I can use? I should get my C&R too. 

My china made SKS was about $100.  The thing eats cheap wolf steel like the fat kid at a buffet.  It was the ideal piece I would make sure to bring to the range when my BIL would come along.  The guy never touched paper but could fire a semiauto like it was full.  I offered a .22 to ease the pain on my wallet but that was too boring for him.  

On 3/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, solareclipse2 said:

Do you mean you have to notify your CLEO that you're getting your C&R or you're notifying them that you're getting an SBR? or both?

In either case, is there a sample letter out there I can use? I should get my C&R too. 

Yep, part of the application process is sending a copy to the CLEO and when you fill out the application, it will auto generate a CLEO copy for you. When I lived in Chicago, I had to send it to Garry McCarthy 😆 No idea if he even looked at it, but he didn't try and object to the process as far as I know. I included a brief, polite, typed letter explaining why I'm sending it, which seems to help avoid confusion.

The process is fairly painless, from what I recall. Pretty sure the ATF's local agent called and chatted with me for a few minutes and explained timeframe to receive the license and what else they would send. You'll get a package with a bunch of stuff in it.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, davel501 said:

I got my C&R to buy an SBR but every time I consider go through with it, I get worried about what would happen if the ATF decided to not renew my permission slip.

You'll probably have to either sell or surrender it b4 your license expires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What's the current average wait time? I can't remember anymore. I sent my application and the LEO copy off mid March, haven't got the phone call yet and check hasn't been cashed. From what I remember, they'll call for the interview and ask some basic common sense questions.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, davel501 said:

I got my C&R to buy an SBR but every time I consider go through with it, I get worried about what would happen if the ATF decided to not renew my permission slip.

In the NFA groups and the SOT Dealers said you can call ATF and convert it back to  Title I firearm. For example an AR15 SBR, just buy a 16in upper and sell the old upper. You'll be out the $200 tax stamp.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:56 PM, McCroskey said:

What's the current average wait time? I can't remember anymore. I sent my application and the LEO copy off mid March, haven't got the phone call yet and check hasn't been cashed. From what I remember, they'll call for the interview and ask some basic common sense questions.

It took mine 1 month, it would have been shorter but I did not fill out the RP. I figured why would you need a RP if it's a C&R License. The licensing branch emailed me, I filled one out, scanned, and emailed it in 20 minutes. They added it to my 01 & SOT file. It took 2 more weeks from that point to receive it.

Well, I figured out what happened when the manila envelope came back to me last week saying it has 20 cents postage due. I got the postage rate from the USPS website and it looked correct to me, but who knows... some postmaster decided it needed more postage.

So now we start all over again because I'm not sending it in with a month-old date on it. 🙄

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 10:16 AM, McCroskey said:

Well, I figured out what happened when the manila envelope came back to me last week saying it has 20 cents postage due. I got the postage rate from the USPS website and it looked correct to me, but who knows... some postmaster decided it needed more postage.

So now we start all over again because I'm not sending it in with a month-old date on it. 🙄

I know from a renewal or two ago, when I messed up the application they sent me, they prefer to use a pre-printed version.  When I called to ask for a blank application they were very nice, and emailed another pre-filled one.

I mailed my renewal late in the afternoon of 4/30/2022.  They received it 5/2/2022, and I got the renewal license yesterday, 5/20/2022.  Still no phone call.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:46 PM, mauserme said:

I know from a renewal or two ago, when I messed up the application they sent me, they prefer to use a pre-printed version.  When I called to ask for a blank application they were very nice, and emailed another pre-filled one.

I mailed my renewal late in the afternoon of 4/30/2022.  They received it 5/2/2022, and I got the renewal license yesterday, 5/20/2022.  Still no phone call.

Good advice. I had the pre-filled one on my laptop, so I just adjusted the dates and mailed em again. a couple weeks ago. Those pre-fill PDF templates make it easy.

Archived