Indiana is 1 signature away from Constitutional carry.

Flynn

Update:  Went to the party that was at the Boathouse within Forest Park.  Didn't carry.  Seemed very safe area.  Went to mall Galleria the next day.  Was posted (new since last visit) with officers and gun sniffing dogs near entrance.  Seemed safer than last visit there (when it was over ran with people).  Gas was a LOT cheaper in MO than IL; but we had filled up before the trip.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:10 AM, Ranger said:

Update:  Went to the party that was at the Boathouse within Forest Park.  Didn't carry.  Seemed very safe area.  Went to mall Galleria the next day.  Was posted (new since last visit) with officers and gun sniffing dogs near entrance.  Seemed safer than last visit there (when it was over ran with people).  Gas was a LOT cheaper in MO than IL; but we had filled up before the trip.

Gun sniffing dogs. That's fun. 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, Jeffrey said:

Is that really a thing or are the dogs just looking for a sign of explosive scents?  

My understanding is that they're (at most) gunshot-residue-sniffing dogs. More than likely they're actually just regular police dogs being used as regular 4A-violation dogs.

If they could really sniff guns, they'd be "alerting" their tails off around the cops who handle them.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, Euler said:

My understanding is that they're (at most) gunshot-residue-sniffing dogs. More than likely they're actually just regular police dogs being used as regular 4A-violation dogs.

Yep, I'm guessing most of the time they dogs are feeding off the handlers body language and altering, because as you said, unless all the cops around totally disasembled, cleaned and sanitized their firearms, as well as sanitized things like holsters, magazines, magazine holders, belts and whatever they would almost certainly alert to those officers...

Although if they are being used at a mall entrance, might be fun to mess with them by simply wearing a long sleeve shirt that you used at the range and had not laundered, or putting a few fresh spent shells in your pockets and walking around with them before taking them out and again wearing said item of clothing again without laundering...

I have always wondered how sensative the electronic bomb sniffing devices are at the airports, I have had my check in luggage and items in it swabbed several times, I wonder what it would take to get a false positive due to whatever residue...

On 3/29/2022 at 11:21 PM, Flynn said:

Yep, I'm guessing most of the time they dogs are feeding off the handlers body language and altering, because as you said, unless all the cops around totally disasembled, cleaned and sanitized their firearms, as well as sanitized things like holsters, magazines, magazine holders, belts and whatever they would almost certainly alert to those officers...

Although if they are being used at a mall entrance, might be fun to mess with them by simply wearing a long sleeve shirt that you used at the range and had not laundered, or putting a few fresh spent shells in your pockets and walking around with them before taking them out and again wearing said item of clothing again without laundering...

I have always wondered how sensative the electronic bomb sniffing devices are at the airports, I have had my check in luggage and items in it swabbed several times, I wonder what it would take to get a false positive due to whatever residue...

What if the LEOs with the dogs add something special to their Hoppe's to let the dogs know it's OK?

On 3/29/2022 at 11:21 PM, Flynn said:

I saw a video with a K9 handler some years ago where the cop was actually honest and said he could get the dog to alert on anything he wanted and I don't doubt that. Otherwise why say it? 

As far as the electronic bomb sniffing devices at airports...I went through the screening line with sunscreen on me in I want to say Ft. Lauderdale heading home from vacation two years ago and got flagged for explosive residue. It was of course a false positive. Last year at Miami airport a woman behind us in line got a much more thorough screening for the same reason, but I honestly wouldn't have put it past that old lady to be up to something shady. 

On 3/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, solareclipse2 said:

I saw a video with a K9 handler some years ago where the cop was actually honest and said he could get the dog to alert on anything he wanted and I don't doubt that. Otherwise why say it? 

As far as the electronic bomb sniffing devices at airports...I went through the screening line with sunscreen on me in I want to say Ft. Lauderdale heading home from vacation two years ago and got flagged for explosive residue. It was of course a false positive. Last year at Miami airport a woman behind us in line got a much more thorough screening for the same reason, but I honestly wouldn't have put it past that old lady to be up to something shady. 

I wound up a volunteer at an event showcasing the local PD K9.  They gave me a confiscated weed pipe and asked me to hide it on my body then the K9 would alert them to where it was.  I stuck it in my shoe and the dog never said a peep.  Local PD didn't like my joke when I said I must have lost it.  From that moment I lost any hope for a K9 copper.  

On 3/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, solareclipse2 said:

My backpack got thoroughly screened  in Tampa one time because it tested positive for explosives.  After 2 positive tests I asked them to just dump it out and test the backpack itself empty. Tested positive again.  After much hassle we came to the conclusion that I had set my backpack down on my friends newly fertilized lawn and it was the nitrogen in the fertilizer that was setting the bells and whistles off.  

On 3/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, Lou said:

My backpack got thoroughly screened  in Tampa one time because it tested positive for explosives.  After 2 positive tests I asked them to just dump it out and test the backpack itself empty. Tested positive again.  After much hassle we came to the conclusion that I had set my backpack down on my friends newly fertilized lawn and it was the nitrogen in the fertilizer that was setting the bells and whistles off.  

I went to to Vegas for the Antique Arms/Sporting/Knife show and found a gun in my laptop back, my friend put it in during the last show and forgot to tell me.  I mailed it back home. 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I went to to Vegas for the Antique Arms/Sporting/Knife show and found a gun in my laptop back, my friend put it in during the last show and forgot to tell me.  I mailed it back home. 

True story for me.  We went to Disney world of all places, and I have a backpack that I had been using to take stuff to the gun range, but it seemed like a perfect carry on size.  So I emptied everything out of it, packed it up with our phone chargers, snacks etc etc.  Took it through security on the way out and on the way back.  I get all the way home and am unpacking it, and I find spent shell casings in the bottom of the bag.  So when I'd been at the range at one point, some of the casings must have fallen into it and gone into the bottom.  There was no other gun related items in the bag, and I was a bit shocked they didn't flag it to be honest.  But it was totally accidental.  I'm just glad I didn't have to explain that.  Maybe a good reason to keep using only brass shells:).

On 3/30/2022 at 9:51 AM, mikew said:

What if the LEOs with the dogs add something special to their Hoppe's to let the dogs know it's OK?

I would highly suspect that if police were forced to use special cleaners to make it so their firearms are AOK to the dogs, that info would have been leaked by someone probably within the hour.

I wondered about the gun sniffing dog thing too.  I imagine it is a combination of gunpowder smells, maybe cleaning / lubricants / etc. and body language.  Probably the biggest thing is trying to get reactions from / deter those illegally carrying.

illinois_buckey:  Yes.  Previous time I was at the Galleria made me think of those events where hundreds of people flood a place and pillage.  Peaceful and not crowded and then all of a sudden, it was like the floodgates opened and the place was packed with rowdy teens / young adults.  Not nearly as many people during the time I was there this time and it seemed to be a much more controlled environment.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:09 PM, Lou said:

I filled up yesterday in St Louis County for $3.89  

I saved half a dollar a gallon ( $7.50) filling up at $3.89 in downtown St Louis rather than in Illinois.

I saw a $3.65 at a Mobile on Kings Hwy traveling from St Charles to The Hill, my tank was already full. On the ride home last night it looks like Illinois prices were lower than on Tuesday... more so up north.

Got to visit Salt + Smoke, Grandma's Cookies and Charlie Gitto's. Ate great BBQ for lunch, brought home a bunch of very tasty cookies and Charlie Gitto made some Original Toasted Ravioli for us. I've always wondered how hand made ravioli was made. It will be on Good Morning America tomorrow, April 1, along with some other favorite Missouri spots.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:50 AM, soundguy said:

I saved half a dollar a gallon ( $7.50) filling up at $3.89 in downtown St Louis rather than in Illinois.

I saw a $3.65 at a Mobile on Kings Hwy traveling from St Charles to The Hill, my tank was already full. On the ride home last night it looks like Illinois prices were lower than on Tuesday... more so up north.

Got to visit Salt + Smoke, Grandma's Cookies and Charlie Gitto's. Ate great BBQ for lunch, brought home a bunch of very tasty cookies and Charlie Gitto made some Original Toasted Ravioli for us. I've always wondered how hand made ravioli was made. It will be on Good Morning America tomorrow, April 1, along with some other favorite Missouri spots.

I was on The Hill Saturday at DiGregorios grocery picking up a few things. 
We were in the area scouting places for our exit from IL. 

On 3/31/2022 at 12:24 PM, Ranger said:

There are definitely some good restaurants in St. Louis.  We've made special detours to get cookies from the Bakery on The Hill several times.

The difference in gas prices really has an impact if you travel much.  We talked about a trip out northwest this summer.  Not sure now.

I plan my gas purchases based on travel... I get to know where the lower prices are and rarely buy gas near home.

Watching TV right now, it looks possible prices will come down shortly and last well thru the summer.

Archived