Question about background checks for purchase

ScottFM

Not sure where to put this question, so I'll put it here, but if it should be moved hopefully an admin can do it. 

In the 4th Quarter last year I submitted my re-qualification for my CCL. 

I recently received it on the new combined FOID card. Also my FOID was renewed so it now is good to 2032. All of this is great then last week I went to buy a new handgun. If anyone cares it's a Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare in 45ACP. 

My background check took almost 4 days to clear. Why would it take so long?

The FOID is supposed to be constantly monitoring my background, I had just recently had the ISP do a background check to issue the renewed CCL. So why, Why, WHY would I not get instantly cleared? Very frustrating! 

Thanks for making me feel so much better lol.  Anytime I’ve gone to purchase has always been instant approval.  A friend from church always has to wait.  Hopefully when I eventually get my ccl my approval times don’t change.  But not like I’m buying a gun every week either.  Looks like you made a nice choice.  A little larger than what I think I’d carry but everyone has their preference.

Edited by illinois_buckeye

On 3/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, ScottFM said:

My background check took almost 4 days to clear. Why would it take so long?

FTIP isn't NICS, but it depends on NICS. If NICS takes 4 days (which usually means that the machines asked a human to decide), then FTIP takes 4 days.

A more bizarre result would be if you got denied just after getting your renewed CCL.

To answer a couple of Q's

1. the 1911 is not for carry. I carry a P365. The 1911 is because I have always wanted one. 

2. I have prints on file for the CCL

3. I have only gotten instant approval once, about 6 years ago! The rest always seem to take longer but have been within the 3-day wait anyways. This one took the extra day. 

4. Yep, did not think that FTIP is not NICS.