First time AR buyer

russ60477

Just MY opinion, but you did ask-lol. Unless you have a specialized mission for your AR like say long-range or other type competition shooting etc., go with anything Mil Spec new manufacture with a 5.56 chamber in the color of your choice within your budget and have fun plinking away with what many consider the Lego version of a rifle. After you enjoy the basic budget system for a while you will find about a gazzillion aftermarket bells and whistles to personalize your rifle to your liking and hang as much crapola off the thing as you can afford and can lift without giving yerself a hernia. lol

For fun plinking IMHO the low costs ones fit the mission perfectly.

This is a pretty nice rifle: FN 15™ Tactical II 16" 5.56 Rifle w/ Wedge Lock Handguard | FN Tac 2 | Big Tex Ordnance

Ike has 3 in stock as of right now.

This is a bit cheaper but less rail options: COLT CR6920 M4 Carbine 5.56NATO/223Rem 16" Barrel 30Rd Semi-Automatic AR Rifle with 4 Position Collapsible Stock (CR6920) | Big Tex Ordnance

You just forward the email from them to your FFL so they can reach out and share their info and the rifle should be at your FFL before the waiting period is done.

Del-Ton Echo 316M (and make sure it is the 316M, is imho, one of the best values in 'entry' level, mil-spec ARs.  Can be bought/ordered at several local FFLs.  Far better buit, imho, ymmv, than the M and P or Ruger  AND, it has a 1:8 twist, so it can handle those bigger grained rounds.

https://www.del-ton.com/DTI-16-Carbine-Rifle-p/rftmc16-0.htm

Barrel:

• Chrome Moly Vanadium
  • Medium Contour Profile
  • M4 Feed Ramps
  • 16" Length, 1x8 Twist
  • Carbine Gas System
  • Manganese Phosphated
  • Phosphated under F-marked Front Sight Base
  • Threaded Muzzle, A2 Flash Hider

Chamber:

• 5.56 X 45 mm Nato

Bolt & Carrier:

• Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
  • HPT/MPI Tested Carpenter 158 Bolt
  • Heat Treated and Plated
  • Mil-Spec
  • Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
  • Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
  • Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key

Handguards:

• Carbine Length
  • Aluminum Delta Ring
  • Single Heat Shield

Upper Receiver:

• Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
  • A3 Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
  • Hard Coat Anodized
  • Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface
  • Mil-Spec
  • Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
  • Right Hand Ejection
  • DTI Dual Aperture Rear Sight

Lower Receiver:

• Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
  • Hard Coat Anodized
  • Mil-Spec
  • Aluminum Triggerguard & Mag Catch Button
  • Semi-Auto

Buttstock:

• M4 - 5 Position Mil-Spec
  • Reinforced Fiber
  • H-Buffer

Weight:

• 6.85 lbs Empty

Length:

• 36.375" Fully Extended
  • 32.625 Collapsed

Accessories:

• 1 x 30rd Magazine
  • Gun Lock
  • Chamber Tool

Unless you know and TRUST the seller, I would stick with a new rifle for the new buyer. Too many have "basement gunsmithed" rifles and with who know what kind of quality parts etc. Buy a decent new one and do some shooting/training with it before putting any accessories on it ( besides a sling and sites if it does not have them). After actually using the rifle for a while, you will have a better idea of what you need or "want" on it. Don't make the mistake of making a 6 pound rifle into a 20 pound boat anchor. And most importantly HAVE FUN!!!  

You should check out Windham Weaponery.  Very high quality, reliable milspec ARs, very affordable.  Try to go for the upper end of your price range for an AR without optics.  With ARs, you really do get what you pay for (up to a certain point, at least, say $2k).  I really saw little difference between my Windham and Daniel Defense 300 BLK pistols, other than the DD costing more the double the price of the WW.  They were both well made, tight and perfectly reliable.  Cheapish ARs other than WW are a crapshoot IMO, and PSA won't ship to Cook County.  

If only I hadn't taken that Lake Michigan AR pistol cruise ...

On 3/6/2022 at 6:37 PM, russ60477 said:

Im looking into purchasing a Ar 15 

556/223 is it worth looking at a used unit and what should a newbie look for?  Or am I better off going with a new smith m&p, ruger type as a newbie.  Im looking to stay around that $700-$1000 price range.

Consider a piston AR as they have better reliability, stay cool to the touch and you will thank yourself when it comes time to clean your AR. You will pay a slight premium but it is well worth it. An option is to purchase a DI AR and convert it with a piston kit if you are looking to do the work yourself. The conversion installation is quite easy.

https://www.primaryweaponssystems.com/rifles/

Conversion kit:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019608815

On 3/7/2022 at 4:33 PM, RandyP said:

What????? No K-Cup hot beverage maker????? Ya slacker.

We're all guilty of that kind of stuff (at least I am).  I stupidly had a combo muzzle brake/compensator put on my home defense 300 BLK pistol.  I had to resight it for that reason.  I'm sure they literally FELT the concussion at least 4 stalls over.  I was at the 12th stall, 11 to my right, and you could hear the sound bouncing off the wall on the right side.  On the plus side, 2400 fps 110 grain hp's produced nearly zero recoil or muzzle rise.  On the negative side, I'd have to be insane to fire that thing in my home.  I'm considering replacing it with a Fortis muzzle brake/comp with the Fortis Controller attached for indoor use.  Supposedly, it throws all of the blast and sound forward, but interferes very little with the functionality of the comp/brake.  It looks like a smallish suppressor that hand attaches to the base of the brake, and has holes on the top to maintain the comp function.  

On 3/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bubbacs said:

What no two point sling? Guns useless without one. How would you transition (not sexually) to you hand gun? SMFHLMFAO 

He went too light, forgetting to attach a handgun holster to the front rail by M-Lok.  Also, you "could" add a molle attachment to the stock and put a transition bag with a dress and wig in it ...

Archived