Illinois General Assembly 3/7/2022

mauserme

As of last Friday, both House and Senate have moved beyond their third reading deadlines for bills originating in the same body. We will soon begin to see bills that were passed from one body to the other, posted to committee hearings.

One exception to the deadline is HB5086 $DPH – Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Designed to fund state sponsored anti-gun propaganda, this bill is the subject of our current Call to Action. Please take a moment to show your opposition.

At close of business last Friday, most bills were referred back to the Rules Committee. Three of them are bills we've worked against the entire Spring Session, and longer. All are the work of Representative Stoneback:

HB2769 Safety Tech (Microstamping)

HB4296 Concealed Carry – Forest Preserve

HB5445 Implementing Firearms Restrain

That is not to say that we will never see these again – only that, for now, we can focus on other things.

The House is scheduled for 3 PM.. The Senate is not in.

Next Days Scheduled

House: 3/8/2022
Senate: 3/8/2022

House Calendar

House Calendar

3:00 PM

HB5086 $DPH – Safe Gun Storage Campaign

Oppose

House Sponsor: Willis, Hirschauer, Guzzardi

Synopsis As Introduced

Appropriates $3,500,000 to the Department of Public Health to be used for the safe gun storage public awareness campaign required under specified provisions of the Department of Public Health Powers and Duties Law of the Civil Administrative Code of Illinois. Effective July 1, 2022.

• mauserme unlocked this topic

With HB4296 Concealed Carry – Forest Preserve back in committee, the deadline the judge set is March 15th, if I remember correctly, there is no way the civilian disarmament advocates in the Illinois house can pass this law in time. While they may try in the future, it seems to me that the prohibition of carrying in Cook County forest preserves shall expire in a few days. Thus it will no longer be unlawful to carry in the cook preserves making the cook preserves equal with the rest of the other county preserves. 

Do all agree? 

Also shall this prohibition be stricken from the compiled statute or shall that take an act of the general assembly to submit an amendment to have it removed? If not removed from the compiled statute, it seems to me that arrests shall continue. 

Having said that, the question is do the police agree? 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

... Thus it will no longer be unlawful to carry in the cook preserves making the cook preserves equal with the rest of the other county preserves. 

Also shall this prohibition be stricken from the compiled statute or shall that take an act of the general assembly to submit an amendment to have it removed? If not removed from the compiled statute, it seems to me that arrests shall continue. 

Reading the statute and amendment, I'm thinking nothing changes re CCFPD carry.

Still prohibited by statute unless removed by the legislature.

As far as i can tell, there is/was no expiration date/sunset on the prohibition of guns in CCFPD areas.

Please let me know if I'm missing something!

The Amendment language

Replaces language concerning the property of the Cook County Forest Preserve District with language providing that a concealed carry licensee shall not knowingly carry a firearm on any adventure course or zipline, aquatic center, campground, equestrian center, nature center grounds, picnic grove, playground, sledding hill, sledding hill grounds, and any parking area of any of the aforementioned under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District, and any public or private gathering or special event conducted on property that requires the issuance of a permit by the Cook County Forest Preserve District.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

With HB4296 Concealed Carry – Forest Preserve back in committee, the deadline the judge set is March 15th, if I remember correctly, there is no way the civilian disarmament advocates in the Illinois house can pass this law in time. While they may try in the future, it seems to me that the prohibition of carrying in Cook County forest preserves shall expire in a few days. Thus it will no longer be unlawful to carry in the cook preserves making the cook preserves equal with the rest of the other county preserves. 

Do all agree? 

The bill's existence was explained in committee as the product of the Forest Preserve's desire to continue their prohibition on carry beyond the 3/15/2022 deadline.  In my opinion, though the statute may remain unchanged, the section pertaining to the prohibition on carry within Cook County Forest Preserves will be unenforceable, putting them in the same regulatory situation as the other 101 counties.  I think it's safe to say that was the consensus opinion of the committee members and witnesses as well.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, mauserme said:

The bill's existence was explained in committee as the product of the Forest Preserve's desire to continue their prohibition on carry beyond the 3/15/2022 deadline.  In my opinion, though the statute may remain unchanged, the section pertaining to the prohibition on carry within Cook County Forest Preserves will be unenforceable, putting them in the same regulatory situation as the other 101 counties.  I think it's safe to say that was the consensus opinion of the committee members and witnesses as well.

... what is this deadline!

I ask only because I must have missed it... was there a sunset provision for the CCFPD prohibition?

On 3/11/2022 at 12:43 PM, soundguy said:

... what is this deadline!

I ask only because I must have missed it... was there a sunset provision for the CCFPD prohibition?

In Solomon v Cook County Forest Preserves the court found the carry ban unconstitutionally broad, but gave the legislature until 3/15/2022 to change it.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, mauserme said:

Thank you Sir

Archived