Road rage incident in Streamwood ends with rager dead, dashcam footage

BradS

deleted. it's a waste of time to argue if you're reading thing i never wrote.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:39 PM, Illinois Sucks said:

I am curious who was filming this incident.  It appears to be from inside a vehicle parked behind the white Ford.  Was this person also involved in some way?

It's an uninvolved person's dashcam. The blue truck in front is the dead guy's. Looks like he blocked the guy in, got out, and approached the (shooter's) vehicle  behind him. 

On 3/4/2022 at 1:47 PM, spanishjames said:

It's an uninvolved person's dashcam. The blue truck in front is the dead guy's. Looks like he blocked the guy in, got out, and approached the (shooter's) vehicle  behind him. 

The footage does not seem to be a dash cam.  It looks hand held.  I am familiar with the area and there really is no parking there.  I don't really see a reason for this person to be pulled over and taking video if they were not invested in the situation.  Still curious.

You can only use lethal force when your presented with lethal force.  The victim (the instigator) didn't have any weapon.  You can't shoot and unarmed person.  If he is coming at you with a bat, a crowbar, etc.  then you can shoot him.  The victim here was an idiot for instigating the whole situation.   Now he is DEAD.   The driver is charged with first degree murder but that means premeditation.  This will be plea bargained to manslaughter with extenuating circumstances.  REMEMBER, never pull a gun unless the circumstances warrant it.  

On 3/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, sammy said:

You can only use lethal force when your presented with lethal force.  The victim (the instigator) didn't have any weapon.  You can't shoot and unarmed person.  If he is coming at you with a bat, a crowbar, etc.  then you can shoot him.  The victim here was an idiot for instigating the whole situation.   Now he is DEAD.   The driver is charged with first degree murder but that means premeditation.  This will be plea bargained to manslaughter with extenuating circumstances.  REMEMBER, never pull a gun unless the circumstances warrant it.  

Stop calling the instigator a victim.  Also stop calling the instigator an instigator.  Getting a small portion of the video isn't all the evidence.  Also, hands are weapons that have the ability to kill.  By chance do you know the dead guy?

I'll let the mods decide what the proper location is for this.

There was a shooting in Streamwood, as the article reads it sounds like he defended him self.

He was charged with murder and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon charges, and had priors as a juvenile.

If I understand this it correctly you cannot carry a firearm/handgun at 18 years old but you can possess one, which the purpose would usually be for self defense?

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20220302/prosecutor-traffic-dispute-that-led-to-murder-charge-started-as-victim-backed-into-his-driveway

A prosecutor said the traffic dispute occurred as Mattison, 46, was trying to back a pickup truck into his driveway late Sunday afternoon.

Mejia pulled up in a sedan and, rather than wait for Mattison to finish pulling in, maneuvered around the pickup, the prosecutor said. Mattison then drove after Mejia, overtook his car and pulled in front of him, causing Mejia to stop on Bartlett Road near Oltendorf Road, authorities say.

Mattison got out of his truck and walked back to Mejia's sedan, where a brief argument occurred, according to the prosecutor. Mattison then reached inside the vehicle and struck Mejia in the face, the prosecutor said.

Authorities say Mattison then was shot multiple times by a 9 mm handgun, suffering gunshot wounds near his liver and his spleen and in the chest.

Witnesses, including a person who video-recorded the confrontation from behind Mejia's vehicle and posted it on the social media site Snapchat, told authorities Mattison had nothing in his hands when he was shot, prosecutors say.

After the shooting, Mejia drove to the Streamwood Police Department to give his account of what had happened, according to the prosecutor.

Streamwood police officers called to the scene at about 5:20 p.m. Sunday arrived to find Mattison lying injured in the road. He died from his injuries about an hour later at Amita St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:39 AM, mab22 said:

If I understand it correctly you cannot carry a firearm/handgun at 18 years old but you can possess one, which the purpose would usually be for self defense?

As I understand it, in Illinois and most other states you must be 21 to possess/buy a handgun. If you are defending yourself in your home with a handgun... probably not a problem. Having a loaded pistol in your vehicle without a CCL (which he does not qualify for... ) is clearly a violation of the FOID Act. I believe he was carrying with out a license.

It also sounds like the young Mr Mejia is quite the inconsiderate driver. What a shame that he ran across a hothead driver. Bigger shame that he left the scene of the shooting if that's what he did... he should have called 911 and assisted the injured hothead. The info from the article does not  make it clear to me:

After the shooting, Mejia drove to the Streamwood Police Department to give his account of what had happened, according to the prosecutor.

Streamwood police officers called to the scene at about 5:20 p.m. Sunday arrived to find Mattison lying injured in the road. He died from his injuries about an hour later at Amita St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, soundguy said:

As I understand it, in Illinois and most other states you must be 21 to possess/buy a handgun. If you are defending yourself in your home with a handgun... probably not a problem. Having a loaded pistol in your vehicle without a CCL (which he does not qualify for... ) is clearly a violation of the FOID Act. I believe he was carrying with out a license.

It also sounds like the young Mr Mejia is quite the inconsiderate driver. What a shame that he ran across a hothead driver. Bigger shame that he left the scene of the shooting if that's what he did... he should have called 911 and assisted the injured hothead. The info from the article does not  make it clear to me:

Agreed on the CCL. Definitely sounds like carrying illegally unless he articulated that he retrieved his unloaded weapon from the glove compartment or the center console and loaded it.

I have no problem with him leaving the scene since he went straight to the police department. If he had been trained properly, he would have known to stay at the scene and request 2 ambulances...1 for the guy he defended himself from and 1 for him. He also would definitely have given a statement to police without the advice of counsel.

Perspective is a funny thing, I picture the younger guy driving behind the older guy who suddenly swings out to back into his driveway without a care in the world who he is inconveniencing behind him. Youngster flies around guy backing in at first chance to make a point. Guy gets upset because yet another car is driving wrecklessly down his street and gives chase.

From the videos it even looks like the deceased's hand motions resembled a draw from appendix more so than a punch. Like he was saying look how easy it would be for me to shoot you right now.

The more of this story you hear the more off-ramps you hear both of these guys blew by.

I suspect that the one decision that made the difference, more than any other, between prison and freedom for the younger man was talking to the police without a lawyer.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bubbacs said:

Maybe just put this in that streamwood thread as a additional answer about the kids rights and ability to carry that handgun?

Why have two areas about the same discussion. JMHO. As some we already talking yes or no about his abilities!

Didn’t see it, otherwise I would have. 

Not in agreement with the statements that the attacker (not this one) would have to be armed! I'm 67 and open heart survivor. If someone starts punching me in the head or body and I go down, stumble down and they look like they are going to continue pounding my @$$, I'm thinking, not saying 100% nor have I made up my mind right this very minute, but I'm likely to shoot to defend myself instead of waiting to see if they grab a crowbar or bat to finish the job! You may not be scared at all to get punched directly in the face, and that's great. But I'm not looking to get that hit myself and would react differently than the hardened steel men who can take a punch to the face and walk away. IANAL

57, heart failure patient, defibrillator/pacemaker in my chest.

This is a concern of mine also. I consider the George Zimmerman case. What is a feller to do? Wait until you're almost dead before you decide to protect yourself to save your life?

It's a sticky situation. A single punch to my chest could kill me. I don't know what I would do. I just pray I'm not put in the situation to make the choice. If I am I likely won't have time to think about it.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, Euler said:

If someone is likely or intends to beat you unconscious, that counts as "great bodily harm." A black eye or even a broken nose doesn't so much.

So we have to take a beating to see how much damage they plan on doing before we can decide to defend ourselves? 
Kinda like we have to vote it in to see what’s in it. 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:19 PM, mab22 said:

So we have to take a beating to see how much damage they plan on doing before we can decide to defend ourselves? 
Kinda like we have to vote it in to see what’s in it. 

I think you can usually determine a person's intent from their demeanor. It's also good to have non-lethal defense options available to you.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, Euler said:

If someone is likely or intends to beat you unconscious, that counts as "great bodily harm." A black eye or even a broken nose doesn't so much.

Tell that to my cousin who suffered a shattered orbital socket and damage resulting in blindness in one eye — all from a single punch….  Assault is assault.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:13 PM, Tip said:

...  Assault is assault.

Blindness is great bodily harm, but not all assault is lethal assault. Responding with lethal force to a non-lethal attack turns the defender into an attacker. I could quote the law, which is substantially identical in all 50 states, but I suspect everyone here already knows it.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:13 PM, Tip said:

Tell that to my cousin who suffered a shattered orbital socket and damage resulting in blindness in one eye — all from a single punch….  Assault is assault.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, Euler said:

Blindness is great bodily harm, but not all assault is lethal assault. Responding with lethal force to a non-lethal attack turns the defender into an attacker. I could quote the law, which is substantially identical in all 50 states, but I suspect everyone here already knows it.

That punch could have killed him if he fell wrong. You never know when great bodily harm will result in death... until it does. If it came to that, I would err on the side of a lethal shoot. Fortunately, I possess non-violent conflict resolution skills.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:25 PM, Euler said:

I think you can usually determine a person's intent from their demeanor. It's also good to have non-lethal defense options available to you.

A person follows your car, then blocks your ability to evade, argues, reaches into your vehicle and punches you in the face. 
Where exactly do I draw the line? 
Pepper spray and hope they don’t escalate? 
I get that Illinois dosn’t have castle doctrine, but by the time someone blocks your car, confronts you, reaches into the vehicle and assaults you, your a sitting duck and it’s more dangerous to exit your vehicle.
Heaven help you if you backup and they get injured. 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:48 PM, mab22 said:

A person follows your car, then blocks your ability to evade, argues, reaches into your vehicle and punches you in the face. 
Where exactly do I draw the line? 
Pepper spray and hope they don’t escalate? 
I get that Illinois dosn’t have castle doctrine, but by the time someone blocks your car, confronts you, reaches into the vehicle and assaults you, your a sitting duck and it’s more dangerous to exit your vehicle.
Heaven help you if you backup and they get injured. 

Imagine a person follows your car and you are scared...  so you pull over.   Now imagine after you pull over, they approach your vehicle and you are scared..  so you open your window.   This just does not add up.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, Euler said:

So one must wait until assault turns into lethal assault to defend one’s self.  I see.
 And what, exactly, constitutes lethal assault — you have a legal definition?

On 3/9/2022 at 9:00 AM, Tip said:

So one must wait until assault turns into lethal assault to defend one’s self.  I see.
 And what, exactly, constitutes lethal assault — you have a legal definition?

Prosecutors will start charging felony battery (great bodily harm) at a broken nose but it is up to a jury to decide if it was great bodily harm or merely harm.

Archived