CCL renewal 1 on 1 ?

sendit

Hopefully Molly responds to this.  I know she is looking into this issue.  My buddy received the same letter but his gave him 60 days.  

So much for supposedly getting 12 months after the pandemic . Oh wait they increased it to 18 months.  Oh wait it's now 6 months  per the ISP website.  

What a cluster F@#%&

On 2/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, THE KING said:

So much for supposedly getting 12 months after the pandemic . Oh wait they increased it to 18 months.  Oh wait it's now 6 months  per the ISP website.  

This is my thought, as well. The ISP tells everyone they have 18 months, which doesn't even start until some unspecified future date (the end of the emergency, probably whenever Pritzker leaves office), then it capriciously and arbitrarily changes the deadline to 30 days minus the notification delay, effective immediately. It's good to be the king (no implied reference).

On 2/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, THE KING said:

Hopefully Molly responds to this.  I know she is looking into this issue.  My buddy received the same letter but his gave him 60 days.  

What a cluster F@#%&

My letter did state 60 days ... they waited 9 days to add postage ... then mail took 8 days to deliver. I thought I had a spot in a class but don't so now I've got 30 days. 

I am still waiting on clarification from the ISP but did communicate to them that their letters are in complete conflict with what was announced earlier and what is posted on the website.

From the FAQ on their website:
What is the impact of the state's disaster declaration on my CCL expiration Date?
Changes to the FOID and FCCL Acts that took effect January 1, 2022, and rules adopted implementing these changes, require FOID and FCCL cardholders to submit renewal applications prior to the expiration of their card to remain valid. Additionally, while the Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation in response to the COVID 19 pandemic remains in effect, if a cardholder submits a renewal application after the expiration date of the card, their expired card will be reset to valid while the application is processed so long as the FOID Card is not subject to revocation pursuant to the provisions of Section 8 or Section 8.2 of the FOID Act or the FCCL is not subject to revocation pursuant to the provisions of Section 70 of the FCCL Act.

What if I need to renew my CCL, but didn't get into a refresher class due to COVID-19?
Under Administrative Rules adopted December 21, 2021, your training certificate must now be submitted in order to receive a new license. We have begun to reject renewal applications as incomplete if they are missing training certificates. Rejection is NOT a denial. A rejection means your submission is incomplete and needs correction or additionional documentation. Return to your dashboard and make the required correction(s). Remember, per 430 ILCS 66/70 (c), your current license remains active if you submitted your renewal application BEFORE your expiration date. Finally, during the period of the disaster declaration, if your card expires but you subsequently submit an application for renewal, your card will be returned to active status while your application is being processed.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:41 AM, Euler said:

One such rule was originally that FOIDs and CCLs don't expire for the duration of the emergency plus 12 months. Press release dated 10 April 2020 The rule was actually effective 6 April.

That rule was later amended, effective 3 September 2020, to extend the period of non-expiration to the length of the emergency plus 18 months. ...

On 8/24/2021 at 3:22 AM, Euler said:

Page 205 of Volume 44, Issue 16, 2020, begins the original FOID rule. The CCL rule follows.

Page 1003 of Volume 44, Issue 38, 2020, begins the amended FOID rule. The CCL rule follows.

Page 1059 of Volume 46, Issue 2, 2022 begins the (further) amended FOID rules. The amended CCL rules follow on page 1083. The rules were effective 21 December 2021.

If you read the Register carefully, you'll notice that the amendments are documented a bit sketchily. The 18-month extensions (in Section 1230.30 for the FOID and Section 1231.30 for the CCL) are just deleted without any strike-through notation. They're just gone. Maybe they were really amended away earlier, but ISP said it was the 21 December 2021 amendment that eliminated the extensions. I didn't dig through older issues of the Register to look. I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

With the simple deletion of the extension, an application without a certificate just becomes incomplete. The preexisting rule for an incomplete application allows 60 days after notice to fix the application.

FWIW, you can see the current administrative rules on the JCAR section of ilga.gov.

Title 20, Part 1230 - Rules for FOID

Title 20, Part 1231 - Rules for CCL

I have public classes or can do private classes at my school in Park Ridge. Week day or weekends. https://www.alphakoncepts.com

TriggerFarm® has a class scheduled for Tues March 15th.  1pm.  Location is near Sheridan IL about 20 miles West of Joliet IL.   2836 E. U.S Hwy 52.  Cost is 50.00USD.  We shoot outside so dress for the weather. If you have a holster and want to use it no problem. You will need 30 rounds to qualify.   Call 815-955-6094 or email   TriggerFarm@gmail.com with questions Thanks John 

Nice Range Pic.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 12:53 AM, Euler said:

... I didn't dig through older issues of the Register to look. I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

It turns out it wasn't that hard to look. Here's the history of the extension.

6 Apr 2020
FOID/CCL remains valid until 12 months after the state of emergency ends as long as a renewal application has been submitted

3 Sep 2020
FOID/CCL remains valid until 18 months after the state of emergency ends as long as a renewal application has been submitted

19 Feb 2021
FOID/CCL has no extended validity;
No one bothered to tell us, but the removal of the extension appears to have been an oversight.

30 Aug 2021
FOID/CCL remains valid until 6 months after the state of emergency ends as long as a renewal application has been submitted;
No one bothered to tell us about this one, either.

21 Dec 2021
FOID/CCL remains valid until the state of emergency ends as long as a renewal application has been submitted;
No extension beyond that

It was never an admin rule that card-holders could submit an incomplete application (i.e., no training certificate) during the emergency. It was always the rule that applications had to be complete to extend the validity of current cards. Either the ISP:

1. generously exceeded its authority by allowing us to upload certificates later or
  2. didn't understand its own rules.

I'm inclined to believe option #1. Although the intent of the extension was/is to allow the ISP additional time to issue renewals (rather than give us additional time to apply), somebody somewhere chose to interpret the extension more favorably to card-holders. As of January 2022, that person has been called to task. Who (under 3 tons GWT) knew the emergency was going to last this long? Oh well, it was a good run.

https://www.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/illinois/documents/government/coronavirus-disaster-proc-03-04-2022.pdf

WE ARE STILL UNDER A Governor Issues Disaster Proclamation 03-04-2022

https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Statistics      This is currently on the ISP website!

COVID-19

Attention: CCL and FOID card holders seeking renewal.

CCL and FOID card renewals continue to remain valid under emergency rules filed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The emergency rule providing for the 18-month extension of FOID card and CCL renewals went into effect on September 3, 2020, replacing the previous 12-month extension. The ISP Firearms Services Bureau encourages FOID cardholders and CCL holders to keep a copy of their confirmation from their submitted renewal application as additional verification of compliance.

Here is Illinois Register changes for 18 month extension !       JCCAR AMENDED THIS for DEC 31,2021   https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001231sections.html

https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/index/register/volume46/register_volume46_issue_2.pdf    Illinois Register 2022 Pages 1094 and 1095

d)  Conditional Renewal During a Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation COVID-19 

1)  Any FCCL that expires during a
COVID-19 Gubernatorial Disaster 
Proclamation issued pursuant to Section 7 of the Illinois Emergency 
Management Act [20 ILCS 3305] shall be considered conditionally 
renewed provided that the: 

A)  application is submitted for renewal pursuant to the requirements 
of Sections 30, 40 and 50 of the Act while a statewide
COVID-19 
Gubernatorial Disaster Proclamation is in effect; 

applicant has an
activea valid FOID card pursuant to the  
requirements of Sections 4, 5, 8 and 8.2 of the FOID Act; and  

C)  applicant's FCCL card is not subject to revocation pursuant to the 
provisions of Section 70 of the Act.   

2)  Any conditionally renewed FCCL card shall be deemed valid for the 
purposes of possessing and carrying firearms, unless the FCCL card is 
subject to revocation or suspension under Section 70 of the Act.   

3)  The validity of a FCCL card during a conditional renewal period will be 
reflected in any inquiry into the Department's database of license 
applicants and licensees that is available to all federal, state, and local law 
enforcement agencies, State's Attorneys, the Attorney General, and 
authorized court personnel. 

4)  Conditionally renewed licenses shall remain active valid for up to 6 months 
after the expiration of last issued statewide COVID-19 Gubernatorial 
Disaster Proclamation, or until a new FCCL card is issued, whichever 
occurs first. 

5)  This subsection (d) shall remain in effect through the end of the calendar 
year (December 31, 2021). 

On 3/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, Retired1 said:

... This is currently on the ISP website!

As noted in the first few posts, the 18-month extension beyond the end of the disaster no longer exists, even if the ISP website says it does. Meanwhile, the ISP is interpreting the emergency rules differently than before, which is why the ISP contacted the OP to have him upload a training certificate ASAP.

On 3/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, Retired1 said:

Here is Illinois Register changes for 18 month extension ! JCCAR AMENDED THIS for DEC 31,2021 https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/020/02001231sections.html

As you quoted, the 6-month (not 18-month, as of 30 Aug 2021) extension beyond the end of the disaster proclamation was deleted.

Remember that the emergency rules are not there to provide individuals with more time to apply. They're really there to give the ISP more time to process applications.

Archived