Why Is It Taking So Long for Illinois Resident's Too Receive Their Illinois Concealed License?

Blove

Hi I'm new to the form.

Just wondering why it is taking so long for Illinois Concealed Carry Licenses to reach those who have received an "ACTIVE Status." I applied on 09/20/2021 for my CCl; Printed on 01/18/2022. As of today's date 02/10/22 have not received it in the mail. Do anyone have any insight on as to why it might be taking so long to reach those of us with the status of being active?

My students are having good results using this process. Spoiler alert, it's going to take effort... https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/im-waiting-too-long-for-my-concealed-carry-license-illinois/

On 2/11/2022 at 1:16 PM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

My students are having good results using this process. Spoiler alert, it's going to take effort... https://www.alphakoncepts.com/blog/im-waiting-too-long-for-my-concealed-carry-license-illinois/

Tomorrow marks 120 days since I started the process. My license is supposedly in the mail either since 01/31 or 02/05, so I guess if it doesn't show up tomorrow I'll follow your process and shoot the ISP an email and then give it a couple of days for them to ignore me so I can email my state representative. 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, solareclipse2 said:

Tomorrow marks 120 days since I started the process. My license is supposedly in the mail either since 01/31 or 02/05, so I guess if it doesn't show up tomorrow I'll follow your process and shoot the ISP an email and then give it a couple of days for them to ignore me so I can email my state representative. 

I've had really good success even with state reps who have an anti gun record. Normally I'm dealing with their office staff and the back and forth is very professional.

We'll see how mine goes.  We go on vacation in a few weeks and will gone for a week.  Maybe I'll have my card by the time I get back.  If not, maybe then is the time to start pestering them.  What is the proper option to hit when you call to talk to someone?  I ask because when I got my foid card, if you called at like 8:27 and lurked in the menus until 8:30, I was able to get someone on the phone within a minute or so.  

I sent my CCL renewal in 3/23/21.  When I check the ISP FOID/CCl site, it still shows under review and the following statement says that no part of the application has been reviewed as of this date.

I don't care what excuse they come up with - no renewal application should take a year to be reviewed and issued.   THEY MAKE THE LAWS AND REFUSE TO FOLLOW THEIR OWN LAWS.

THE WHOLE FOID/CCL PROGRAM SHOULD BE SCRAPPED.   This is exactly what INFRINGE meant to our founding fathers.

Since mine was supposed to have been printed a few weeks ago and I'm impatient I emailed that askfoidandccl email address. I got an auto reply, which in and of itself doesn't bother me but it does say that they're not answering emails regarding status checks. Since my license was approved and should be in the mail I don't think that counts as a status check but they may ignore it all together since according to their portal the card is in the mail and I just need to wait. 

I know I tried to call a few days ago and the gist i got was that you have to wait until at least 30 days.  If I recall from when I got my foid, they open at 8:30.  So I think when I get to that mark, I may call in at about 8:27 or so and lurk in the menu until 8:30 and try to see if I can be one of the first calls of the day.  

9 November 2021 I submitted my CCL renewal

6 January 2022 the status was changed to Under Review with this detail: We have completed our initial review of your submission and have determined that all necessary items are present. Your application has been moved to the background review queue.

26 January 2022 the status is still Under Review but with the following detail: Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing.

31 Jan 2022 status was upgraded to Printed

17 Feb 2022 Arrive in the mail: It is one of the new combined FOIDs with CCL Indicator. Also FYI there is not expiration date printed on the card, there are expirations dates on the ISPFB website. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, ScottFM said:

31 Jan 2022 status was upgraded to Printed

17 Feb 2022 Arrive in the mail

Yeesh! 17 days to your door. What the heck are they doing? 

Curious what part of the state you live in...not sure if that plays any part in this madness but if you essentially live nextdoor to the printing press and it took that long, there's no hope for someone like me in Chicago. 

Otherwise, if everything else holds true, I would think that I should be getting mine in the next day or two since my new CCL was supposedly printed the same day. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, solareclipse2 said:

Curious what part of the state you live in...not sure if that plays any part in this madness but if you essentially live nextdoor to the printing press and it took that long, there's no hope for someone like me in Chicago. 

I live NW of Chicago in the burbs out that way. 

FWIW the postmark on the envelope shows that card was mailed 14 Feb from zip 62703, which is Springfield. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, ScottFM said:

I live NW of Chicago in the burbs out that way. 

FWIW the postmark on the envelope shows that card was mailed 14 Feb from zip 62703, which is Springfield. 

Ok, I'm on the South side. Based on the postmark it is taking 3 days from when they mail it until when it arrives. So the state is likely behind on printing, mailing, or both.

In any case it confounds me because there are machines that will print the card stick it on to the paper, and fold it up. I'm sure there's even machines that could automatically stick it in an envelope, seal it, and apply postage. 

So what I actually believe is happening is that the state has one printer that prints one card at a time, attached to a personal computer and that person at the computer prints the card, prints the letter, folds it, sticks it in an envelope, licks it shut, and then sticks it in the Pitney-Bowes machine. Wash, rinse, repeat for every approval and that's why this takes so long. 

Lucky.  Mine supposedly printed on 1/18.  I’ve yet to get it.  I guess that’s the way it goes sometimes.  I tried calling today but any option for talking to someone seemed to indicate they were too busy and call back later.  If it doesn’t come tomorrow I guess I need to figure out my next step since tomorrow is 30 days.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:45 PM, solareclipse2 said:

Ok, I'm on the South side. Based on the postmark it is taking 3 days from when they mail it until when it arrives. So the state is likely behind on printing, mailing, or both.

In any case it confounds me because there are machines that will print the card stick it on to the paper, and fold it up. I'm sure there's even machines that could automatically stick it in an envelope, seal it, and apply postage. 

So what I actually believe is happening is that the state has one printer that prints one card at a time, attached to a personal computer and that person at the computer prints the card, prints the letter, folds it, sticks it in an envelope, licks it shut, and then sticks it in the Pitney-Bowes machine. Wash, rinse, repeat for every approval and that's why this takes so long. 

I don't think that's the problem.

I've been printed for 30 days with no card in the mailbox.

Other people are printed a week ago and getting their cards in under 3 days.

There is something weird going on.

The January 18th printed batch is literally not being mailed.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:23 AM, kpeklund91 said:

I don't think that's the problem.

I've been printed for 30 days with no card in the mailbox.

Other people are printed a week ago and getting their cards in under 3 days.

There is something weird going on.

The January 18th printed batch is literally not being mailed.

Do you live down state?  Reason I ask that is that I remember I’d signed up for an nra membership a while back, and as part of the deal they were supposed to send a free gift, I think it was a pocket knife in my case.  Anyway eventually a package showed up from them but torn open and no knife.  I wonder if it’s possible that someone working for the post office is anti gun and is possibly tampering with mail?  

Not to say that is happening but at 30 days and no sign of a letter that should mail within a couple of weeks you wonder.  I wonder if the isp would be able to send it via certified mail.  I’d even pay the extra postage.

On 2/19/2022 at 8:34 AM, illinois_buckeye said:

Do you live down state?  Reason I ask that is that I remember I’d signed up for an nra membership a while back, and as part of the deal they were supposed to send a free gift, I think it was a pocket knife in my case.  Anyway eventually a package showed up from them but torn open and no knife.  I wonder if it’s possible that someone working for the post office is anti gun and is possibly tampering with mail?  

Not to say that is happening but at 30 days and no sign of a letter that should mail within a couple of weeks you wonder.  I wonder if the isp would be able to send it via certified mail.  I’d even pay the extra postage.

Northern Illinois just outside Rockton

image.png.8c6d0b241f591d961da56cca754114fc.png

This is what mine shows.  I've not received the card yet.  I'll wait to see if I get the card or if it changes in the next week or so.  My friend at Church talked like he knew an alternate email.  He used to be a dispatcher and changed jobs.  He did tell me a story of a sargeant who said he knew it was time to change jobs when he almost got into a fight with a blind man over a denial of a ccl.  Got a bit of a chuckle on that.  

To the original poster, my print date was the same as yours, 1/18/22.  I finally was able to reach someone by phone.  Apparently from what they said they had an issue with the batch issued on 1/18/22.  In my case they were supposed to be printing my card and I should get the card in 10-15 days.  I think I called 2 days ago.  You may need to call, not sure on that part.  The agent did tell me I was the 3rd person he’d helped with the same situation that day.

Archived