Biden blasts GOP, Gun Industry; Calls for New Gun Control

mauserme

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/3/biden-slams-republicans-firearms-industry-crime-wa/

Biden blasts GOP, gun industry for NYC crime wave; calls for new gun control measures

By Jeff Mordock and Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 3, 2022

In a meeting with New York Mayor Eric Adams and other Democratic officials, Mr. Biden criticized the “resistance” to gun control measures by Republicans in Congress, state legislatures, gun manufacturers and other gun-rights advocates as the primary culprit for the rising violence of the past two years.

The president called for universal background checks, a crackdown on so-called “ghost guns” and bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, saying of the Second Amendment guarantee of the right to bear arms that “there’s no amendment that’s absolute.”

I can only assume the approach is to keep repeating the same phrases over again until they are pounded into everybody's heads.  I didn't watch the press conference, but I'm sure he filled somebody's buzzword bingo card.  I know he used "Weapons of war" and "Glock", and I'm guessing "high capacity", "common sense", and "assault-style" or "military-style" all made their appearance.

Every new first-time gun owner from the past year two years needs to understand that they really are coming for your guns... Maybe not today or tomorrow, but with every little bite they get at the apple, soon there will be no apple left. 

It cannot be the NYC politicians telling the cops not to arrest thugs.

It cannot be the NYC politicians calling for the defunding of police.

It cannot be the NYC prosecutors dropping charges if thugs are arrested.

It cannot be the NY judges who dismiss cases if thugs are actually prosecuted.

It cannot be the NY jails who let thugs go on early release if thugs are actually jailed.

It cannot be the NY prisons who let thugs go on early release if thugs are actually imprisoned.

It cannot be the NY judges who let thugs go on no to little bail if they get arrested.

It cannot be the NY parole boards who let thugs out long before their original sentences are up.

Nope.  Not one of these have any responsibility for the rise in crime.

Gotta blame the guns. 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:19 AM, mauserme said:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/feb/3/biden-slams-republicans-firearms-industry-crime-wa/

Biden blasts GOP, gun industry for NYC crime wave; calls for new gun control measures

By Jeff Mordock and Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 3, 2022

In a meeting with New York Mayor Eric Adams and other Democratic officials, Mr. Biden criticized the “resistance” to gun control measures by Republicans in Congress, state legislatures, gun manufacturers and other gun-rights advocates as the primary culprit for the rising violence of the past two years.

The president called for universal background checks, a crackdown on so-called “ghost guns” and bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, saying of the Second Amendment guarantee of the right to bear arms that “there’s no amendment that’s absolute.”

"...there's no amendment that's absolute."

I'm curious as to how the president squares that with the 13th and 19th Amendments....as well as others?

I'm sure our national media will be right on this, so that We The People will know what other rights our president doesn't consider inviolable.

It’s not gun violence. It’s criminal violence. Yes they MAY use a handgun or a knife or a bat or any other instrument to commit these crimes. But none of my (add number here) guns have ever gotten up and committed a crime or violence upon anyone. And it should go without saying, when the first person gets the video of a handgun pointing at a person and pulling its own trigger, that person will be filthy rich!

Criminal Violence

When do we start correcting them? Do any of the groups who are said that they support us as gun owners ever state this? Do they push a different narrative at all. From what I hear it’s they want more gun laws and our side only says we have gun laws. No one says it’s not our fault or that the guns being purchased are NOT committing these crimes!

I know I once heard someone on a radio show make the statement that the way the 2nd amendment was written and given the context of it, his feeling was that for example you should be able to own a fighter jet or a tank if you wanted to.  The reasoning being that the colonists had just fought the British that they probably wrote it with the intent that the people should have access to the same arms the government had.  At least that was his idea.   

If you think about it, although a lot of us are probably conservative, they were probably were quite radical for their time, as you figure for their time, monarchy was the usual form of government.  Freedom such as the USA had at the time was probably unknown until that point.

You mention privateers, if I recall, at the time of the revolution the congress was actively looking for and commissioning privateers for their first navy of sorts.  That’s always been one of my favorite times in history.  Shame that there aren’t more movies etc about it.  

Makes you realize too how bad the civil war was because by that time they had more rifles and were still lining up and blasting one another.  Doing that probably had to take courage.

I moved from Ohio when I got married to my wife, but people don’t always realize that Ohio State vs Michigan is a real thing.

If I remember my history and civics classes right, Ohio and Michigan had disagreements I think over Toledo.  I have seen programs saying the locals on each side would actually get across the river from one another and shoot at each other.

According to my teacher in civics, there was apparently an instance where the governor of Michigan and of Ohio had the state militias marching towards each other to fight a battle and that the president at the time had to step in and effectively tell them to stand down or he would send federal troops.

Archived