Jump to content

22lr pistol with red dot for qualification?


Squints08
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

"An applicant for a new license shall provide proof of certification by a certified instructor that the applicant passed a live fire exercise with a concealable firearm consisting of:
(1) a minimum of 30 rounds; and
(2) 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards; 10 rounds
 
from a distance of 7 yards; and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the Department. "
 
Looks like you can shoot with any pistol you can cover with clothing.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best thing to do is contact the instructor and ask them! My dad has a hard time standing and wanted to sit during the qualification. I asked the instructor and he worked it out for us.  Both times I shot there were people who shot 22s. One was an elderly woman who brought a snub nose revolver she had never shot before. Could not shoot it. Instructor lent her his own 22 and she qualified.

Edited by ragsbo
add information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

As long as it is a hand gun, as defined by illinois law, it is allowed in my classes. While it's best practice to get as much trigger time with thge pistol you intend to carry, it isn't required by illinois law to qualify with the pistol you carry. 

This story happened last weekend. A lady came in for renewal. Stated she hasn't shot in 4 years. That's like nails on drywall to me. Turns out she has been carrying a pistol for 4 years that does not function. Thankfully she attempted to qualify with the pistol she carries. She was carrying a licensed paper weight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

A lady came in for renewal. Stated she hasn't shot in 4 years. That's like nails on drywall to me. Turns out she has been carrying a pistol for 4 years that does not function. Thankfully she attempted to qualify with the pistol she carries. She was carrying a licensed paper weight. 

 

Yikes!

Curious..what was it..and what was the problem?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 7:18 AM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

 

This story happened last weekend. A lady came in for renewal. Stated she hasn't shot in 4 years. That's like nails on drywall to me. Turns out she has been carrying a pistol for 4 years that does not function. Thankfully she attempted to qualify with the pistol she carries. She was carrying a licensed paper weight. 

I would guess that this is happening more than you think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, ragsbo said:

I would guess that this is happening more than you think

 

**Laughs in Glock**

:D

 

Yet seriously...

Even with all the ammo shortages etc...I still try to get to the range, tho not nearly as often as in the past...

Also...A range visit is mandatory for testing when I switch up primaries for season changes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, ragsbo said:

I would guess that this is happening more than you think

It surprised me a few years ago when renewals began. At this point it doesn't surprise me that people never train or practice any longer since it's about 50/50 for renewal students. Because of this I spend a good amount of time in the original class setting up my expectations for them to take on advanced training class per year and visit the range once per month. I tell them if they aren't shooting 1,700 rounds per year they are doing themselves no favors. Do I expect them to all follow my advice? absolutely not, but hopefully more and more will take their skill and gear more seriously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...