IL FOID/CCL now allows firearms in carry-ons at O'Hare

Euler

Actually not, but read on for what happens in court when neither the judge nor the prosecutor knows the law.

CWBChicago

CWBChicago said:

... Victor Aguilar, a Chicago Public Schools teacher and concealed carry holder, ... allegedly had a loaded handgun in his backpack at O'Hare.

Aguilar, 27, is a science teacher at Inter-American Magnet School in Lakeview, according to the school's website. He is charged with misdemeanor carrying a concealed firearm in an airport.

[Judge Kelly] McCarthy and the prosecutor engaged in an awkward exchange after she was presented with the state's allegations during Aguilar's bond hearing.

McCarthy: I have a question. He has a valid [Firearm Owner's ID] and a valid [concealed carry license], but the basis of this allegation is that he didn't have it properly stored, correct?

Prosecutor: Based on the facts, it's that he carried it through the X-ray machine ...

McCarthy: Well, you can do that. It just has to be stored properly ...

Prosecutor: I'm not aware of the proper procedure at this time, your honor.

McCarthy: Okay. All right. My understanding is that it has to be properly stored and it can't be loaded. It has to be in a locked case.

McCarthy released Aguilar on his own recognizance.

In one case, even though nobody asked for it, McCarthy took the unprecedented step of ordering a robbery victim to show up in court to be served with an order to protect the man who allegedly robbed her at gunpoint.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:14 AM, oohrah said:

Why did he not run afoul of TSA if he carried through security?

On 1/10/2022 at 11:26 AM, BobPistol said:

I'm surprised the TSA didn't file federal charges.

TSA arrested him and turned him over to CPD. I suspect the peanuts are too small for a federal prosecution. He's not a terrorist. He's just a numbskull who doesn't know the law, apparently just like the judge and prosecutor.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, BobPistol said:

My question still stands.   How does the state have jurisdiction over something that should be a Federal Case?

It's also a misdemeanor Illinois CCL violation (carrying a loaded firearm in one of the 23 prohibited zones), which is a state law. if the prosecutor can ever figure it out, that's how he'll be charged. Meanwhile, they're probably still looking for their ass.

Archived