Is the Chicago ban on lasers still in effect, and if so, is it actually being enforced?

vito

I know that this topic has been raised before, but I am wondering about the status of this ban. I haven't read about any arrests for legally licensed carriers who were arrested or had their guns confiscated due to having a laser on them. Maybe that's because not so many people have lasers on their carry guns, or maybe because it is not an ordinance being enforced. Can anyone educate me on this issue?

With very little training there is no reason for lasers at self defense distances. 

Yes the laser ban is on the books. 

Like magazines, nobody is searching you to see if you have lasers, however if your firearm is confiscated for ANY reason, it is very likely you wont get the laser attachment back. A skillful lawyer may argue that a firearm with an integral laser is preempted, but now you've lost thousands of dollars to retrieve a firearm worth a few hundred. 

Again lasers really aren't needed. Take a defensive Pistol class and you'll realize quickly with natural point of aim, you'll shoot faster without the laser than with. Also it's very unlikely you'll see a laser in the day time unless you have a green laser and even then sometimes takes a moment for your eye to find. 

• 3 weeks later...

This happened downstate

https://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/courts-police-fire/jury-convicts-urbana-man-of-having-gun-with-laser-sight/article_ecafe800-9cf5-54b0-b975-2576da9e307f.html

And because the jury found that the gun was equipped with a combination laser sight and light, he faces an extended prison term of up to 60 years, instead of the normal six to 30.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:14 PM, mikew said:

Is this laser and light business in the ILCS?

No. It's an Urbana municipal ordinance, if anything. I'm not even sure it's that. Presumably the judge and jury took possession of the laser into account for sentencing, which is ridiculous enough that I can't imagine that the sentence would not be appealed.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:47 PM, Lord_Balkan said:

The person charged had 3 criminal cases pending, and was presented as a career criminal who was not supposed to be in possession of a firearm, so there is that twist to the article. 

Archived