What a pain to renew the FOID card (change the title to be more descriptive)

I was trying to help my dad out to get his card renewed. He is NOT skilled with computers and apparently neither am I. 

I don't know if it is Windows issue or an ISP issue, but the website kept erroring out on me while I was trying to setup his account.

Finally got to the end and now it says he has to call them to make sure it is him. What is the purpose of entering all the data, setting up all the security passwords and then having to call them?

It only took four times of trying to setup his account before we were finally able to make it to the end of the process only to get a a message to call to verify your ID. You can also email them a picture of you holding your ID and I think standing on your head wearing a pink toto and they would accept that also. 

On 12/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, Not me said:

Try using a different browser. I started my CCL renewal on one and it kept getting goofy so I used a different web browser and it worked. I think Microsoft edge worked and google chrome or whatever didn’t. GL with the phone that sounds like a nightmare. 

I probably should have switched computers and browser after the first error out. 

We did get to the end and finish the process to setup his account, but at the end it said that we had to contact ISP to validate or account and gave us a phone number or we could send in an email with all the info and a picture of my dad holding his ID to prove it was really him. 

So, after two hours on hold dad finally hung up because he had a funeral visitation to go to. Shame we can't send ISP a bill for all our time we waste on this unConstutional requirement. 

On 12/29/2021 at 10:23 PM, spanishjames said:

Try one of the new kiosks. 

Considering they are so conveniently located for those in Southern Illinois. I guess the Springfield would be the closest at an hour and half drive. 

Just another barrier for a person attempting to exercise his 2nd amendment right. 

On 12/29/2021 at 10:54 PM, mikew said:

Consider calling your state rep or state senator and ask for relief.

Dad is going to attempt again next week and if no luck then, this will be an option to consider. I told him to keep track of date and times he called so we can have a list of the attempts. 

We are also going to try the picture email that is noted in the one pop up notification. Although I'm not thrilled sending all his personal information to an unencrypted email with a picture of him holding his ID and all the information anyone would need to still his ID. 

I thought the whole purpose of having the secured ISP website to log into was to reduce the risk of having your ID stolen. Yet, then ISP wants you to send them all the data to an unsecured email. 

• bmyers changed the title to What a pain to renew the FOID card (change the title to be more descriptive)
On 1/6/2022 at 9:52 AM, bmyers said:

Well, dad has still been unsuccessful getting through to anyone at the ISP on the phone. 

So, I guess this weekend, will get a letter to the State Rep and Senator to see if they can help him. 

I would just call your rep, house seems to be more responsive, that's all it took. 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:25 PM, Retired1 said:

Why should it take, contacting your Rep or Senator to help you keep your 2nd amendment rights. This is like Germany in 1937!   We have to get vote out the clowns who are causing this problem. We also need everyone in State Government and ISP who is enabling this restrictive procedure, be transferred or removed!  

I didn't say you should have to, I'm saying if you want it done.

I need to clarify my statement.

I wasn't saying anybody said you should have to contact a state Rep!

My point was why would the ISP and the State of Illinois make it where the only way you can own a gun legally or have a conceal carry is almost impossible.

I have been helping people submit renewal applications and have had to contact my state Rep several time to have accounts unlocked!!!!!!!!!!!

A person should be able to complete a simple application, so a background check can be completed.   Now the Ammo sellers will have to go check my status when I by a box of shotgun skeet loads.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:14 PM, Retired1 said:

I need to clarify my statement.

I wasn't saying anybody said you should have to contact a state Rep!

My point was why would the ISP and the State of Illinois make it where the only way you can own a gun legally or have a conceal carry is almost impossible.

I have been helping people submit renewal applications and have had to contact my state Rep several time to have accounts unlocked!!!!!!!!!!!

A person should be able to complete a simple application, so a background check can be completed.   Now the Ammo sellers will have to go check my status when I by a box of shotgun skeet loads.

I'm not disagreeing. 

The older I get the more I remind myself that all laws are voluntary. 

Dad was finally able to get a hold of person at ISP.

Unfortunately, the computer system was down so they couldn't validate his account. So, he asked them to send out a paper copy and he would just complete that. The lady said, sorry, the computer is down and we can't do that either, you will have to call back when the computers are up.

This system is unbelievable. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:19 AM, bmyers said:

Dad was finally able to get a hold of person at ISP.

Unfortunately, the computer system was down so they couldn't validate his account. So, he asked them to send out a paper copy and he would just complete that. The lady said, sorry, the computer is down and we can't do that either, you will have to call back when the computers are up.

This system is unbelievable. 

That's exactly what happened to my friend I was going to take back to pick up his gun but he lost his foid! (he's quite old don't pick on him) 

I checked yesterday to see if anyone said anything because I wasn't 100% confident it what he said ;)

The saga continues. 

After dad was on hold for an hour, he finally got through. The lady took his information to get him the paperwork to have to sent to him. Yet, before they can send it, you have to pay which the lady said she would try to transfer him, but the system hasn't been working right. She also told him that they are having a bunch of issues with their online system. 

Sure enough he was disconnected. 

So now he has to callback and press option 4 to get to someone or something where he can pay to have his paper copy sent out to him so he can complete the form and sign it.

What I don't understand, if the lady was there and could see all his info and verified it with him to get the paper form ready to go, why couldn't he just complete it on the phone with her? 

This is one of the most screwed up systems and the people operating are even saying it is broken and not working and basically good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Dad finally got through and paid his fee via phone to get his card renewed to have them send him paperwork.

So, I guess we will wait now to see how long it takes to get the paperwork to complete and get it mailed back to them to get the process of approval of getting the FOID renewed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived