ISRA Board of Directors application

Felixd

Just noticed in the winter issue of the Illinois Shooter, delivered to my house today Dec 27th, that ISRA is seeking applicants for the Board of Directors. The application deadline is Dec 31st. Has anyone seen this ad previously? Have I missed it in earlier issues of the shooter? BTW, the same issue carries a notice for the annual meeting in May. I hope members here will attend. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:07 PM, mab22 said:

If you want to change ISRA, that’s how you do it. 
I’m too far north.

One person won't change the ISRA. One person will drive themselves bonkers with the fuddery. It'll take a majority to change the ISRA. If there is only one seat open, I hope you like pain, because trying to convince fudds not to be fudds is extremely painful. 

On 12/30/2021 at 11:49 AM, AlphaKoncepts aka CGS said:

One person won't change the ISRA. One person will drive themselves bonkers with the fuddery. It'll take a majority to change the ISRA. If there is only one seat open, I hope you like pain, because trying to convince fudds not to be fudds is extremely painful. 

Then you replace the fudds one at a time, they didn’t get to this mess overnight, and it won’t be an overnight fix. 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, mab22 said:

Then you replace the fudds one at a time, they didn’t get to this mess overnight, and it won’t be an overnight fix.

The board members are appointed by the director, except for 1 seat that's open to membership election. Then the board elects the director. It's the same model the NRA uses.

"The board members are appointed by the director, except for 1 seat that's open to membership election. Then the board elects the director. It's the same model the NRA uses."

I didn't realize that.  It helps explain why the NRA and ISRA both got in the condition they're in.  If I'm the Director and can appoint all except for one of my bosses, I can pretty much do whatever I want. 

Probably need to change the bylaws for both organizations to change that.  Wonder what changing the bylaws involves...

On 1/4/2022 at 1:15 PM, Ranger said:

"The board members are appointed by the director, except for 1 seat that's open to membership election. Then the board elects the director. It's the same model the NRA uses."

I didn't realize that.  It helps explain why the NRA and ISRA both got in the condition they're in.  If I'm the Director and can appoint all except for one of my bosses, I can pretty much do whatever I want. 

Probably need to change the bylaws for both organizations to change that.  Wonder what changing the bylaws involves...

On 1/4/2022 at 2:37 PM, Hatchet said:

I would assume the director and the board members would have to update the bylaws.

And just like that an idea and plan was formed on how to change things. 🤔

On 12/30/2021 at 5:21 PM, Euler said:

The board members are appointed by the director, except for 1 seat that's open to membership election. Then the board elects the director. It's the same model the NRA uses.

One hand washes the other, and you never get any of them (or their ilk) out.  It's a horrible model that keeps members from having any real control over an organization.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, mab22 said:

Pardon my ignorance, what happened in 1977? 
I was a little young to remember. 

from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_at_Cincinnati

The Revolt at Cincinnati, also known as the Cincinnati Coup and the Cincinnati Revolution, was a change in National Rifle Association (NRA) leadership and organizational policy that took place at the group's 1977 annual convention in Cincinnati, Ohio. Led by former NRA President Harlon Carter and Neal Knox, the movement ended the tenure of Maxwell Rich as NRA executive vice president and introduced new organizational bylaws. The Revolt at Cincinnati has been cited as a turning point in the NRA's history, marking a move away from "hunting, conservation, and marksmanship" and toward the defense of the right to bear arms.[1][2][3][4]

Contents

On 1/8/2022 at 9:47 PM, lilguy said:

And now, 45 years later, both state and national organizations are in turmoil.

Of course, if you don't like the message, eliminate the messenger. (or so our gun grabber enemies think..)

Others will step in and take up the slack, because organizations are made up of believers,and they will just go to the most effective organization.

Archived