ISP ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO FOID AND CCL ACTS

Springfield, IL – The Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) is announcing several changes to the Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) Card program based on statutory changes to the FOID Act effective Jan. 1, 2022.
1. New Cards - As FOID cards are replaced, new cards will be printed without expiration dates. Whenever a new FOID card is issued, if the cardholder has a valid Conceal Carry License (CCL), the cardholder will be issued a combined FOID and CCL card.

a. When a FOID Card is suspended and the cardholder has a CCL, the CCL will be suspended until the FOID Card is reinstated. Upon reinstatement of the FOID Card, if eligible, the CCL will be reinstated as well.

b. When a CCL is suspended or revoked but the person is still eligible to possess a FOID card, they will retain the issued combined card, but it will not show a valid CCL in the Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS).

Auto Renewal - When a FOID Card expires during the term of a CCL, the FOID Card will be automatically renewed without paying a renewal fee and the licensee will be sent a new combined FOID Card and CCL. As described above, these combined cards will not have an issuance or expiration date printed on the face of the card and will serve as both the cardholder’s FOID and CCL.

“The Illinois State Police Firearms Services Bureau is working diligently to ensure the statutory changes to the FOID Act will benefit the people of Illinois,” said ISP Director Brendan F. Kelly. “We are pleased by the fact that this will decrease duplicity within the FOID and CCL program which will in turn save time and money for both applicants and taxpayers,” he concluded.

Resources:
Public Act 102-0237 - https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/102/PDF/102-0237.pdf
###

On 12/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, Molly B. said:

Springfield, IL – The Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearms Services Bureau (FSB) is announcing several changes to the Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) Card program based on statutory changes to the FOID Act effective Jan. 1, 2022.

Molly: Cite, please?

Is there a link to the original article?

On 12/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, Molly B. said:

Auto Renewal - When a FOID Card expires during the term of a CCL, the FOID Card will be automatically renewed without paying a renewal fee

My foid expires Dec. 2021 so I attempted renewal Sept. 24. Im currently locked out of my application (registration under review) but they made sure they charged me the fee. My ccl expires in 2024. I so despise the government of this state.

My FOI expires on Feb 1, 2022, My CCL expires in 2024. I received a letter from ISP on Dec 17, 2021 stating my FOI card expires on Feb 1, 2022 and encouraging to submit FOI renewal application before expiration. The ISP portal shows expiration date as COVID-19, and does not show a renewal button. So much for automatic renewal. What do i do?

• Molly B. pinned this topic

That system alert was put up after I spoke with someone yesterday at Firearms Service Bureau. When my FOI was last issued it should have had the expire date moved up to match my CCL. This was not done. Now unless they issue me a new FOI card with the matching date, I will have a expired card for 2 1/2 years before getting the pleasure of having the new combo CCL card with no dates. Some stores still want a valid FOI to purchase ammo, and I bet online vendors will not sell to me after the expire date. Love the way the new system alert says "probably" means your expiration date has been advanced to match.

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 5:10 PM, Sol-Invictus said:

My FOID card has a May 1st 2022 expiration date but online it is listed as the same as my CCL which is June 2024. I am just carrying my CCL with a screen shot showing my FOID is good. This whole FOID thing is ridiculous.

Molly,

I am in the same boat. and per the ISP Announcement:

"Auto Renewal - When a FOID Card expires during the term of a CCL, the FOID Card will be automatically renewed without paying a renewal fee and the licensee will be sent a new combined FOID Card and CCL. As described above, these combined cards will not have an issuance or expiration date printed on the face of the card and will serve as both the cardholder’s FOID and CCL."

Any updates on when will this be done and I will receive the new card?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived