Post office changed my address.

Mike38

Long story short, the USPS changed my address, I didn't physically move, the postal service changed it by shutting down the post office in my small town and now I'm considered rural of the next closest town. Anyhow, I changed the address on the ISP web site of my FOID but don't see where to change for the CCL. Being they are the same ID number on both cards, am I covered? Reason for concern, my CCL is in queue for renewal, and I don't want to set things back any longer than they already have been. Thanks. 

We're not sure how the address change will work after Jan. 1, 2022.  The new statute says the ISP will coordinate addresses with the Sec. of State's office, not sure what that really entails.

Usually when an address change is requested for someone with FOID and CCL, the total due shows up at $80. 

what did yours show?

The law is not clear. There are probably several areas in the state in which people have a mailing address that varies from their mailing address. 

"(a-15) If an applicant applying for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card moves from the residence address named in the application, he or she shall immediately notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of State Police of that change of address." 

" (a) A Firearm Owner's Identification Card, issued by the Department of State Police at such places as the Director of the Department shall specify, shall contain the applicant's name, residence, date of birth, sex, physical description, recent photograph, except as provided in subsection (c-5), and signature." 

" (430 ILCS 65/13.2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.2)  

Sec. 13.2.  The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card. It is the obligation of the holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Whenever any person moves from the residence address named on his or her card, the person shall within 21 calendar days thereafter notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of his or her old and new residence addresses and the card number held by him or her. Any person whose legal name has changed from the name on the card that he or she has been previously issued must apply for a corrected card within 30 calendar days after the change. The cost for a corrected card shall be $5 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund." 

It seems that the ISP should have both the residential and mailing address on record, when applicable. Should the FOID contain the residential or mailing address? 

On 12/28/2021 at 11:46 AM, Quiet Observer said:

The law is not clear. There are probably several areas in the state in which people have a mailing address that varies from their mailing address. 

"(a-15) If an applicant applying for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card moves from the residence address named in the application, he or she shall immediately notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of State Police of that change of address." 

" (a) A Firearm Owner's Identification Card, issued by the Department of State Police at such places as the Director of the Department shall specify, shall contain the applicant's name, residence, date of birth, sex, physical description, recent photograph, except as provided in subsection (c-5), and signature." 

" (430 ILCS 65/13.2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.2)  

Sec. 13.2.  The Department of State Police shall, 60 days prior to the expiration of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card, forward by first class mail to each person whose card is to expire a notification of the expiration of the card and an application which may be used to apply for renewal of the card. It is the obligation of the holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to notify the Department of State Police of any address change since the issuance of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card. Whenever any person moves from the residence address named on his or her card, the person shall within 21 calendar days thereafter notify in a form and manner prescribed by the Department of his or her old and new residence addresses and the card number held by him or her. Any person whose legal name has changed from the name on the card that he or she has been previously issued must apply for a corrected card within 30 calendar days after the change. The cost for a corrected card shall be $5 which shall be deposited into the State Police Firearm Services Fund." 

It seems that the ISP should have both the residential and mailing address on record, when applicable. Should the FOID contain the residential or mailing address? 

Unfortunately, the caveat here is the OP did NOT move “from the residence address named on his or her card”…..

The law does not cover the re-assignment or changing of a physical address where the residence didn’t move, and the resident didn’t move.  My guess is the old address is still, and will remain for a number of years, a valid, if not incorrect, USPS address.

Oh, and to add one other thing to the above. Physical Address and Mailing Address do NOT have to be the same.

My mailing addy is different than my physical addy. Cards show physical addy but get sent to mailing addy….

Sounds like OP’s mailing addy changed — did his physical addy?

Archived