New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

On 7/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, Jacob76 said:

Good morning, I’m another one who hasn’t received a replacement physical card yet. My current card expires this coming Monday, August 1. Online it says my card expires in September 2024. haven’t found a way to talk to a human at the FSB phone number. I’m only receiving canned responses from the email address. 

A few sites have the image of the current card stored under my profile so I can order ammo. I imagine I won’t be able to do that after Monday. Any image I generate from the FSB site would only be valid for one day it seems and it takes longer than that to get the document approved on these sites. 

With the Sept. 2024 expiration date, the card has been renewed and you should receive a new FOID/CCL combo card but it's hard to tell when that will happen.  Will the sites will accept your CCL for purchases?

If you want to send me a private message with your full legal name, date of birth, FOID number and address, I can submit an inquiry for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, drumgod said:

I still have an original combined cards that has the wrong ccl verbiage in the corner and specifically states that it does not authorize concealed carry...  Are they going to be replacing these eventually?  It's been over 6 months...

I have the same issue.  However, mine does correctly have the CCL indicator at the top.  Since my CCL does not expire for a few more years, I wonder if they will send me a corrected combined card when I renew.

I was at the Illinois State Fair today and stopped by the ISP/FSB desk in the Illinois Building. I asked about my FOID originally expiring on September 1, but having been extended to my 2024 CCL expiration. I was told that my CCL will now act as my FOID as well and that I can download and save my E-FOID if I went to purchase a gun and they wanted a recent time-stamped version. When I renew my CCL in a couple of years, it'll be the new combo card. Maybe they'll have that figured out better by then.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, krussell44 said:

specifically states that it does not authorize concealed carry.  that is if you DO NOT  have the CCL Indicator 

1. I know that, and you know that, but does the officer that pulls me over in another state know that? Because that's NOT what the card says.

2. It DOES NOT have the correct CCL indicator.

My ccl card is still valid so I've been carrying with that.

Edited by drumgod

Im coming up on 60 days until my FOID expires. Have had it 50 years.

What am I required to do now? My ISP dash board says my FOID expiration is extended one year to coincide with my CCL.

Walking around with an expired card in the peoples republic of  Illinois does not give one a secure feeling. 

Could one go to an ISP Kiosk and get a new FOID ahead of time? Thanks

On 8/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, lilguy said:

What am I required to do now? My ISP dash board says my FOID expiration is extended one year to coincide with my CCL.

Walking around with an expired card in the peoples republic of  Illinois does not give one a secure feeling. 

Theoretically ISP will send you a new, undated card, but until then your current FOID should be good. The general idea is that the date printed on the card is meaningless. FFLs and cops are supposed to check its validity online no matter if the printed date is future or past. Plus the CCL is still supposed to be good as a FOID, too.

The trickier thing is FFLs, particularly out-of-state ones for online ammo. Is there any chance you have an eFOID on your dashboard?

Edited by Euler

On 8/23/2022 at 8:23 PM, lilguy said:

If you have a CCL, you do nothing.  It will automatically be renewed to expire same date as your CCL.

Thanks for the input.

Sooooo, I will get a new FOID in 12 months only when I renew my CCL?

If one doesn’t renew their CCL for any reason how do they get a renewed FOID?

Its not having a valid FOID that concerns me. One can function just fine without  a CCL, don’t carry. FOID is a whole other far more consequential issue.

Edited by lilguy

On 8/24/2022 at 4:32 AM, lilguy said:

Thanks for the input.

Sooooo, I will get a new FOID in 12 months only when I renew my CCL?

If one doesn’t renew their CCL for any reason how do they get a renewed FOID?

Its not having a valid FOID that concerns me. One can function just fine without  a CCL, don’t carry. FOID is a whole other far more consequential issue.

When the expiration date of your FOID (and CCL) approaches, you can renew the FOID (and not the CCL), same as ever.

... hmm ...

Renew just the FOID (as early as possible). Get a CCL=NO physical card.

Then renew just the CCL (before it expires). Get a CCL=YES physical card.

It's not a trick everyone will be able to play. Also you probably shouldn't underestimate the confounding effect of ISP bureaucracy to screw it up.

On 8/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, lilguy said:

There is an electronic FOID on my ISP site that has both licensees with no dates. Whats the reason for this, there is no print option, except for the entire screen shot.

The reason for the eCard is so that, eventually, no one will have a physical card. Technically, the plastic isn't the license. "License" is a legal concept that means "permission." The plastic is "proof of license." The government already knows everything about you. Relax in the warm embrace of the all-knowing state.

If your browser supports it (which is nearly all browsers), you can right-click the image and select "save as." (The front is a jpeg and the back is a png, although there's nothing much important on the back.) You can also do a screen shot, then crop it in your favorite image editor to just the card.

I doubt that the kiosks will get you a card faster, unless maybe you report yours "lost." You could try, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my CCL renewal class in June. Then I waited until the day my CCL was expiring to do an online renewal. My wife asked why I waited until the last minute. I told her, I've been busy. LOL The look on her face was priceless. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? I did print out my ecard, so I got that going for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

FOID was set to expire at the beginning of this month but was automatically extended until my CCL expiration in 2024; no new card received at that time. However, we recently changed our address and I submitted the change to ISP last Thursday, 9/15/2022.

New card received yesterday at our new address. Only 4-days?!

New FOID expiration is 9/15/2032 (not printed on the card) but CCL remains at the original 2024 date.

What's the long AL: # on the new card? It ends with 09152022, which was the "Renewal" / "Address Change" date.

The new card has my new DL photo.

• 1 month later...

After reading all 10 pages, I did not see the answer to my questions.  I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

1) I have a non-resident IL  CCL, which means I do not carry a FOID with my CCL.  I only carry by TX-LTC and my IL-CCL.  My IL CCL expires at the end of Q1/2023 and I'm taking my renewal class on Monday.  What card will I receive from the ISP?   I have already received my notice from IL-FSB about my CCL expiring and all it talks about is the requirement to take the renewal course, log in to the portal and the state's payment system.  If I didn't have a significant number of family members that reside in IL (Chicago), I'd drop it because I'd never visit IL.

2) What topics are covered in the renewal class?  Has there been a substantial change to the 20+ places I can't carry a concealed firearm?

3) I've read the frustration in this discussion about confusing indicators and no dates.  Has the confusion been resolved and if so, how so?

Thanks in advance

OneGun

On 11/12/2022 at 2:36 PM, OneGun said:

1) I have a non-resident IL  CCL, which means I do not carry a FOID with my CCL.  I only carry by TX-LTC and my IL-CCL.  ...  What card will I receive from the ISP? ...

2) What topics are covered in the renewal class?  Has there been a substantial change to the 20+ places I can't carry a concealed firearm?

3) I've read the frustration in this discussion about confusing indicators and no dates.  Has the confusion been resolved and if so, how so?

1. You'll get a CCL. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like, but I suspect it'll look like a FOID, since there's only one card now. Let us know what the upper right corner says.
  2. The class is supposed to cover updates to Illinois firearm laws in the past five years, a reminder about "lawful interaction with law enforcement," and range re-qualification.
  3. There's no confusion, but certainly a great deal of annoyance. There are no dates on the card. If someone wants/needs to check a card's validity, it has to be checked online. It's really annoying to merchants (and thus customers), who can no longer see at a glance if a card has expired. Cops have never relied on the date printed on the plastic.

Edited by Euler

On 11/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, OneGun said:

After reading all 10 pages, I did not see the answer to my questions.  I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

1) I have a non-resident IL  CCL, which means I do not carry a FOID with my CCL.  I only carry by TX-LTC and my IL-CCL.  My IL CCL expires at the end of Q1/2023 and I'm taking my renewal class on Monday.  What card will I receive from the ISP?   I have already received my notice from IL-FSB about my CCL expiring and all it talks about is the requirement to take the renewal course, log in to the portal and the state's payment system.  If I didn't have a significant number of family members that reside in IL (Chicago), I'd drop it because I'd never visit IL.

Thanks in advance

OneGun

The class is basically a very shortened version of the 16 hour initial class. After doing the 30 round shooting deal, we went to a "classroom" The instructor went over every area they covered in the initial classes, only it was way consolidated. There was a handout that covered the topics and he took questions before the class ended. It was quite extensive with great and important stuff gone over and the questions asked covered some weird situations that "could" happen. All in all, I'd say it was well worth the money and always good to get a refresher. 

The new card has no dates, looks like a FOID, but has a CCL box which is checked indicating I'm good to go. I know the exact date of mine from looking at the ISP site and they may have included the expiry in the envelope with the card??? Sorry I couldn't offer more info, but that's what I got. 

On 11/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, OneGun said:

I  just received notice from ISP FSB that I will be receiving my new combination FOID/CCL. While my CCL is good for another thirteen months, my FOID was good for much longer and is on file with on-line ammo providers. 

We hate change, us humans. I’m generally better than many with change… I am not liking this one. It doesn’t make much sense to me. I suppose it’s good for those who don’t have room to carry two cards in their wallet, ending that old debate, and yet not so good for those who would prefer to carry no card at all. 

The prospect of losing the ability to do a private transfer without employing an FFL concerns me, too. 

Cheers,

Tim

On 11/12/2022 at 4:31 PM, Euler said:

1. You'll get a CCL. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like, but I suspect it'll look like a FOID, since there's only one card now. Let us know what the upper right corner says.
  2. The class is supposed to cover updates to Illinois firearm laws in the past five years, a reminder about "lawful interaction with law enforcement," and range re-qualification.
  3. There's no confusion, but certainly a great deal of annoyance. There are no dates on the card. If someone wants/needs to check a card's validity, it has to be checked online. It's really annoying to merchants (and thus customers), who can no longer see at a glance if a card has expired. Cops have never relied on the date printed on the plastic.

Thank you.  I took my 3-hour renewal course from an ISP instructor that has relocated to Dallas.  Mainly a refresher on the 20+ places one cannot carry a firearm.  Then off to the range to shoot.  I uploaded my documents into the ISP FSB website.  Website says I have 116 days remaining on my renewal.  Hopefully, it won't take another 116 days.