New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

With the release of the March, 2022 processing activity, below is an analysis of data provided on the ISP Statistics Web page (https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Statistics) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) site (https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics😞
  • FOID/ CCL backlog Analysis
  • Items (Calculations/ Data anomalies) noted on the ISP Statistics Web Site
  • National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Illinois State Police data analysis
A summary of the backlog activity is:
Analysis for
March, 2022
New Aps /  Trans Received Processed Estimated Backlog Notes:
Current Month Prior Month % Change Current Month Prior Month % Change Current Month Prior Month % Change
FOID New Applications   14,091  10,665 32.1    16,100     11,923 35.0      6,435      8,444 (23.8)  
FOID Renewal Applications   14,929  10,136 47.3    15,950     17,708 (9.9)     (3,356)     (2,335) 43.7  
CCL New Applications     4,471    3,387 32.0      5,039       4,561 10.5      3,187      1,997 59.6  
CCL Renewal Applications             -            - -              -               - -              -              - - Not reported by ISP
FTIPS Transactions   46,062  34,749 32.6    46,062     34,749 32.6              -              - -  
Portfolio   79,553  58,937 35.0    83,151     68,941 20.6      6,266      8,106 (22.7)  

In an effort to reconcile the backlog calculated in the analysis and what the ISP calculates, and occasionally publishes as a backlog, a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request was submitted to the ISP relating to the backlogs. The ISP responded noting that the total FOID backlog (open processing greater than 30 days since receipt) of 165,534 as of April, 30, 2021. In the analysis, the total calculated backlog is 168,409 as of April 30, 2021. ISP did not break the backlog between New and Renewal applications. As the difference of 2,875 is just 1.71%  of the calculated backlog, the difference can be viewed as immaterial and a validation of the backlog calculation methodology. Until the ISP can break out the backlog between new and renewal applications, due to the immaterial nature of the difference, an adjustment will not be made to the backlog in this analysis. Additionally, in December, 2021 the Illinois State Police published, via a press release, that the FOID renewal backlog was at 7,800. For analytical purposes, the FOID renewal backlog was increased by 11,823 to bring the end of (month) November, 2021 backlog to 7,800.

Average Processing Time

Changes between February, 2022 and March, 2022 are:

Mar, 2022 Feb, 2022 Difference % Change
New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days)        17.38            19.80         (2.42)             (12.22)
Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Days)        23.80            33.46         (9.66)             (28.87)
New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)      132.00          115.38         16.62              14.40
New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)      101.34          110.89         (9.55)               (8.61)
FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours) 49.00            41.75           7.25              17.37

New CCL Applications (both fingerprint and non-fingerprint) above  the statutory requirements.

Mar, 2022 Statutory Requirement Difference % Change from Statutory Requirement
New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days) 17.38 30.00          (12.62)                 (42.07)
Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Business Days) 23.80 60.00          (36.20)                 (60.33)
New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) 132.00 120.00   12.00  10.00
New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) 101.34 90.00 11.34  12.60
FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours) 49.00 72.00 (23.00) (31.94)

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Illinois State Police data analysis
Included is an analysis of ISP related NICS data. A summary of activity:

March, 2022
NICS Analysis for March, 2022 IL Only All NICS IL as a % of all NICS
Prior Month      308,269     2,514,818 12.26
Current Month      385,030     3,014,465 12.77
Current Month YTD   1,167,252     8,062,379 14.48
YTD Prior Year (Mar-2021)   3,332,055   12,328,744           27.03

Below is an historical tracking of Average Days Processing of FOID (new and renewal), CCL (new only), and FTIP transactions as reported by the Illinois State Police.

Processing Statistics
Source- https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid
Month/ Year New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days) Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Days) New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days) FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours) Source
11/2020 121.71 199.9 160.35 130.58 79.4 Website
12/2020 122.47 242.44 158.84 121.05 36.25 Website
01/2021 121.74 266.77 154.76 122.22 62.25 Website
02/2021 118.89 305.02 166.02 156.55 71 Website
03/2021 126.35 176.54 160.04 136.91 50 Website
04/2021 140.39 187.69 162.49 142.79 48.75 Website
05/2021 206.84 218.2 152.1 182.63 13 Website
06/2021 206.93 221.2 181.62 138.85 17.2 Website
07/2021 188.95 143.82 143.74 131.79 23.3 Website
08/2021 196.74 258.16 167 136.44 7.75 Website
09/2021 149.47 146.59 146.64 117.78 36 Website
10/2021 121.3 38.91 130.32 100.49 31 Website
11/2021 97.04 35.98 126.97 110.7 41 Website
12/2021 50.42 53.16 122.05 86.99 58 Website
01/2022 21.74 34.51 115.12 78.36 41.75 Website
02/2022 19.8 33.46 115.38 110.89 41.75 Website
03/2022 17.38 23.8 132 101.34 49 Website

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 12:19 PM, jim schad said:

Okay, just for fun and self abuse I'll reply to this one to see if I might understand what's going on with my FOID card.

Got the letter from the state telling me that my card expires in 2024, but the expiration date on the card says May of this year.  Tried to check/renew on the website and of course got NO WHERE with that one.  Waiting for reply emails from the state as I type this.

Without reading all eight pages of replies I am now thinking that they have extended the expiration date to coincide with that of the Concealed Carry License.  Perhaps they might even send me a new FOID Card in near future without any expiration date.  If not I'll be carrying a copy of the letter should someone feel the need to refuse to accept the concealed carry license and and expired FOID Card.

Do I have it correct?  Will the "expired" FOID and current CCL with the letter get me weapons/ammo should my loading bench stop supplying my needs?

I'll check back latter this evening to see if the stronger intelligence give me comment/answers to the questions above.

same boat - my physical foid has expire date 7/1/22 - but online portal says 2025 to match my CCL .

Are they still trying to catch up on these "combined cards"? the e-card is not a suitable substitute. If somewhere will accept the e-card - they are going to ask you to pull up from the site - not just a screen grab.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:13 PM, liberty13 said:

same boat - my physical foid has expire date 7/1/22 - but online portal says 2025 to match my CCL .

Are they still trying to catch up on these "combined cards"? the e-card is not a suitable substitute. If somewhere will accept the e-card - they are going to ask you to pull up from the site - not just a screen grab.

Supposedly ISP is going to send you a new, combined FOID/CCL card REAL SOON NOW.

As for places requiring you to access that day's image, I suspect it's so they don't have to run your FOID number for a non-firearm sale. The fact you can generate an eCard with that day's date means your FOID number is good. You just checked it yourself for them. Since it denies Big Brother the opportunity to track your ammo purchases, I think we should expect some "guidance" soon that puts the stomp down on that.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:36 PM, Euler said:

As for places requiring you to access that day's image, I suspect it's so they don't have to run your FOID number for a non-firearm sale. The fact you can generate an eCard with that day's date means your FOID number is good.

It's a totally unsecure image that IMO is worthless and I'm beyond in belief that this generated e-card is valid for anything without backend verification by the other party.  Anyone that is inclined could write a CGI script that would generate the real time 'watermarked' e-card on their own website just like the ISP site does.

Seriously we are in the 'READ ID' age with a plethora of security features and they create an e-FOID that literally looks like they built the template in MS paint using copy and paste bocks with zero actual security features and said image a valid ID?  I'm at a loss...

Edited by Flynn

On 6/28/2022 at 11:24 PM, Flynn said:

It's a totally unsecure image that IMO is worthless ...

Seriously we are in the 'READ ID' age with a plethora of security features ...

The ISP probably didn't want to rely on all FFLs having the capability to read and verify 2D barcodes. A more cynical position is that no one at the ISP knows what they are.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:24 PM, Flynn said:

It's a totally unsecure image that IMO is worthless and I'm beyond in belief that this generated e-card is valid for anything without backend verification by the other party.  Anyone that is inclined could write a CGI script that would generate the real time 'watermarked' e-card on their own website just like the ISP site does.

Seriously we are in the 'READ ID' age with a plethora of security features and they create an e-FOID that literally looks like they built the template in MS paint using copy and paste bocks with zero actual security features and said image a valid ID?  I'm at a loss...

FOID has to be verified for Firearm or ammo purchase. The E Card does nothing more than provide a FOID # for them to check as there is no printed EXP date on the FOID. This whole system is designed so if ISP suspends or revokes a FOID it will no longer valid and all Dealers have to check for validity on the ISP portal. This will prevent someone from purchasing Ammo with a revoked or suspended FOID. Firearm purchases already required a valid FOID check from ISP.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:25 AM, captdan said:

FOID has to be verified for Firearm or ammo purchase. The E Card does nothing more than provide a FOID # for them to check as there is no printed EXP date on the FOID.

The entire point is that if the e-card has a 'generated date' watermark on the day of creation, there is 'technically' no reason for the seller to run the card against the backend under the new rules because the e-card shows it's not expired or revoked as of that date and is now a 100% legal alternative to the real card.  Now, we all know most Illinois FFLs are going to be crossing their t's and dotting their i's but that doesn't mean all are, especially border state ammunition sellers.

Edited by Flynn

• 3 weeks later...

According to ISPFSB, my CCL has just been renewed ("printed" but not in my hands), but ...

430 ILCS 66/50 said:

(b) ... A license shall be renewed for a period of 5 years from the date of expiration on the applicant's current license ...

... the new expiration date is 5 years from the print date, not my "current" expiration date. I lost about 3 months. That's not supposed to happen, per the "modernization."

Anyone else?

I have the same problem.  My hard copy FOID card expired on 07/01/2022.  My FOID was “renewed” to my expiration date of my CCL in 2024.

I still have not received a “new combined” FOID/CCL card” without an expiration date yet.

This creates a huge problem for me since I often buy ammunition and supplies from out of state and these places require a copy of a valid “Illinois FOID Card” to process the order.  I doubt that out of state sellers will accept the “new Illinois e-card” to purchase firearms or ammunition.

Many places are very reluctant to send orders from out of state to Illinois because they do not want to deal with the FOID rules in Illinois.  I think that this combined  FOID/CCL card without an expiration date will stop mail orders of ammunition and components into Illinois.

I got my CCL in Illinois as soon as they were available in 2013 and I have renewed my CCL once.  I spent all of that money for renewals and training in Illinois and now I do not have a valid hard copy FOID card.

The policies of the State of Illinois and the Illinois State Police about issuing FOID/CCL renewal cards are infringing on my Constitutional 2nd Amendment Rights now.

My question is if anyone has received a “new combined FOID/CCL card” without an expiration date yet?

DJ MSP

Euler,

Thank you!

My problem is that I have not received one yet.  

My other problem is that I cannot wait until 2024 to have a valid FOID hard copy FOID card now.

I really do not care about going around in Illinois with an expired FOID and a valid CCL.  The police in Illinois can run my FOID and CCL numbers and figure that out.

I went on the ISP Portal and I cannot renew my “expired” hard copy FOID now.

I sent an e-mail to the ISP e-mail and I got a canned response that said that they cannot look into my individual case.

My next thing to do is to write a letter to ISP explaining my situation and I will send it by certified mail so that I have a receipt that it was delivered to the ISP Headquarters in Springfield.

Maybe Molly can help me with what I should say in my letter?

DJ MSP

On 7/19/2022 at 12:18 AM, Euler said:

Unfortunately, some people have received several.

On 7/19/2022 at 12:41 AM, DJ MSP said:

Euler,

Thank you!

My problem is that I have not received one yet.  

My other problem is that I cannot wait until 2024 to have a valid FOID hard copy FOID card now.

I really do not care about going around in Illinois with an expired FOID and a valid CCL.  The police in Illinois can run my FOID and CCL numbers and figure that out.

I went on the ISP Portal and I cannot renew my “expired” hard copy FOID now.

I sent an e-mail to the ISP e-mail and I got a canned response that said that they cannot look into my individual case.

My next thing to do is to write a letter to ISP explaining my situation and I will send it by certified mail so that I have a receipt that it was delivered to the ISP Headquarters in Springfield.

Maybe Molly can help me with what I should say in my letter?

DJ MSP

If you send a letter to the ISP, I would suggest sending it to this address:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

When you receive a new hard card, it will not have an expiration date on it.

If the company you are buying ammo from needs a copy of your FOID card, I would suggest doing a screen shot of you e-card and submit that as a jpeg or pdf file in the same manner you would have photographed or scanned your FOID prior to these changes in the law. . . there will be verification date on the image.

boy howdy, Illinois sure is awesome at running simple programs. LOL

I was chatting with some guy in YT comments. I had mentioned more government regulations are never and have never been good for any person, product, or business. 

He asked me why I felt that way about government regulations? Rather than carry that discussion any further, I told him my laptop battery was dying and I'd get back to him when it was charged again. That was 2 months ago. LOL Oh and i don't even have a lap top. You can't pull one over on this old codger. 

On 7/19/2022 at 2:57 PM, Molly B. said:

If you send a letter to the ISP, I would suggest sending it to this address:

Director Brendan Kelly

Illinois State Police

801 S. 7th Street

Springfield, IL 62703

When you receive a new hard card, it will not have an expiration date on it.

If the company you are buying ammo from needs a copy of your FOID card, I would suggest doing a screen shot of you e-card and submit that as a jpeg or pdf file in the same manner you would have photographed or scanned your FOID prior to these changes in the law. . . there will be verification date on the image.

Molly,

Thank you for the address to send my letter to the Director of the ISP!

I do not think that it will help me, but I will send a letter to voice my concerns anyway.

The main problem with the new Illinois Combined FOID/CCL without an expiration date is that the Governor and the Legislature made this a law in late 2021.  The ISP do not have the personnel or supplies to send out the new combined cards in a timely manner.

My other problem is that there is no real way to contact the ISP about when you will be sent a new renewal card.  I tried the e-mail route and I just got a generic response that they could not respond to my specific request.

Has anyone else called the ISP Springfield phone number and have someone answer the phone?

Thank you again.

DJ MSP

I'm an FFL in Wisconsin. If I sell a shotgun to an IL resident, the background check is through NICS and we input the DL and FOID/CCL # into NICS. With the new FOID/CCL rules and FOID/CCL cards not having expiration dates, do we need to verify the card is valid in addition to the normal NICS check? The expiration verification site we have access to as a non-IL FFL would be the ammo transfer page. We've checked the rules and can't find direction anywhere. Appreciate any insight anyone can provide. Thank you.

Thank you both. I have an attorney on this so nothing on here will be taken a legal advice. There seems to be confusion about what constitutes "currently valid". For FOIDs with expiration dates, we can use that expiration date. For the new FOID/CCL without the expiration date, how does one know if valid? While federal rules allow us to sell to folks from any state, we also must abide by all rules of their state of residence (for example, the IL 72 hr delay from application/intent to purchase). As of now, for any FOID/CCL that doesn't have an expiration date, we will probably need to ping the ammo transfer site to verify the validity of the card and run the background check through NICS like normal. If I get different feedback from the attorneys, I'll let you know.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, Pies72618 said:

... For the new FOID/CCL without the expiration date, how does one know if valid? ... As of now, for any FOID/CCL that doesn't have an expiration date, we will probably need to ping the ammo transfer site to verify the validity of the card and run the background check through NICS like normal. ...

There's also the e-Card, which has a "digitally generated date" on it. If the customer generates one with "today's" date on it, it provides some (small) assurance that it's valid. That date can totally be forged, but that's what the ISP considers the "security feature" of the e-Card.

Has anyone experienced any issues getting them? This is odd but my wife submitted an address/name change and has yet to see her new foid. So far as to we have filed as lost or stolen once, still never showed up. My wife called and isp claimed it was mailed and they reissued it again. Well here we are now and no still no sign of it. Now when calling isp no matter what option you select there is no way to talk to anyone. She called the main isp number and they gave her a different number to the same automated system. 

Its just really odd, its active in her isp portal but yet it never has come? Is she the only one this is happening to?

Any advise?

Edited by sb2889

Good morning, I’m another one who hasn’t received a replacement physical card yet. My current card expires this coming Monday, August 1. Online it says my card expires in September 2024. haven’t found a way to talk to a human at the FSB phone number. I’m only receiving canned responses from the email address. 

A few sites have the image of the current card stored under my profile so I can order ammo. I imagine I won’t be able to do that after Monday. Any image I generate from the FSB site would only be valid for one day it seems and it takes longer than that to get the document approved on these sites. 

On 7/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, sb2889 said:

Has anyone experienced any issues getting them? This is odd but my wife submitted an address/name change and has yet to see her new foid. So far as to we have filed as lost or stolen once, still never showed up. My wife called and isp claimed it was mailed and they reissued it again. Well here we are now and no still no sign of it. Now when calling isp no matter what option you select there is no way to talk to anyone. She called the main isp number and they gave her a different number to the same automated system. 

Its just really odd, its active in her isp portal but yet it never has come? Is she the only one this is happening to?

Any advise?

If you send me a private message with her full legal name, date of birth, FOID number and address, I can submit an inquiry for her.