New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

On 2/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, Stats said:

Solution:

This ISP is currently reviewing previous cards issued. If it is noted that the cards have one or both of the issues (for FOID/CCL combined cards) the ISP is going to reissue the cards. This process may take some time. After the cards have been printed, the ISP says to allow 30-45 days for mailing.

30-45 DAYS!!!

😂😂😂😂😂😂

My FOID shows me expiring May 2022. When I logged into the ISP site, the expiration date is shown as the same as my CCL, in 2024. 

Should be interesting if I try to buy a gun later this year, or ammo online. 

I know better than to even try to contact the ISP via phone, so I guess I live with it until something comes up requiring a seller to check the ISP site. 

What a crazy way to do things.

So to update this, I just received a letter from ISP telling me I have the later date, rather than May of this year for expiration. The same letter talks about applying for renewal earlier to make sure it goes through. 

When I received my renewal of my CCL, they sent me a new FOID, with the same number as the CCL, and it came right after the CCL came in the mail. 

So, it looks like the card was extended to match the CCL expiration date per the ISP web site and this letter I just received from ISP. 

I'll check with my LGS to see how he has handled others with the same issue. I'm sure I can't be the only one. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, davel501 said:

That makes 4 in total so far.

Just out of curiosity, for all of the cards, is the AL "number" the same on any of the cards? (No need to publish the numbers, just a yes/ no answer would be good. (Form what we have seen so far has been the last eight digits of the AL number would correspond the date that the card is sent to the print queue) As the AL number is supposed to be used for security purposes going forward, it would be interesting to see if two cards were issued with the same AL "number".

On 3/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Stats said:

Just out of curiosity, for all of the cards, is the AL "number" the same on any of the cards? (No need to publish the numbers, just a yes/ no answer would be good. (Form what we have seen so far has been the last eight digits of the AL number would correspond the date that the card is sent to the print queue) As the AL number is supposed to be used for security purposes going forward, it would be interesting to see if two cards were issued with the same AL "number".

The 2 that came the same day had the same date code with different leading sequence numbers and the AL numbers were completely different on the rest. The first couple of numbers appear to be some kind of sequence because the card from 1-1 is much lower than the others. The sequence number seems to increment for every card issued because hers skip huge ranges.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Stats said:

All 3 of my cards have different AL numbers

On 3/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, Stats said:

Awesome. Thank you for the insight!

Correction. The 2 that came the same day had identical numbers so 3 sets of cards, 1 from 1/1, 2 from 2/8 and 1 from 2/23 with 3 sets of numbers. The numbers before the date appear to be monotonistically increasing but the 2 cards from 2/8 have the same exact numbers.

I uploaded our training certificates over the weekend, so we'll see if we get more cards.

So will I get a new FOID card or not?

My FOID Card shows an expiration of September 2022.

My CCL Card shows an expiration of July 2024 (Renewed in 2019).

When I renewed my CCL in 2019, I received a new FOID with a number and Issued date matching my CCL but still expiring later this year.

I logged into my ISP account tonight and found that my FOID (online) now shows an expiration date that matches my CCL but a "Printed" date from when I renewed my CCL.

I know it's a bit premature to worry about it, but this is ILL-ANNOY and I fully expect them to screw it all up...

On 3/14/2022 at 9:45 PM, raymond963 said:

So will I get a new FOID card or not?

My FOID Card shows an expiration of September 2022.

My CCL Card shows an expiration of July 2024 (Renewed in 2019).

Your FOID has been extended to July 2024 to match your CCL. You'll get a new card automatically later this year.

At least that's the plan. ISP appears to be working stuff out still.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, DarkLord said:

Hope many on here is not going to renew ISRA membership, I know I am not..

I really don't like being one of those guys, not by by a long shot, but not only did I not renew, I called them and respectfully asked them to stop sending any and all communications to me in any form. ISRA, like the NRA, needs a complete reboot. We need serious leadership from people that aren't 90 years old. For a while I enjoyed reading Pearson's story time in his emails. I also enjoyed the newspaper they sent. That all changed when they sold us out. I bought a regular Life membership to the NRA, I've respectfully resigned that membership as well. GOA has been blowing up my mailbox with good and important issues that allows me to get in touch with our people in D.C. Granted, Tammy and Richard never reply with anything save for the Dem talking points pre written letters. At least they know I care and won't be voting for them.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

I just wanted to add a bit since someone mentioned them "MegaSports".

I understand a business being very strict on the rules (even photo's) when your surrounded by people working to actively to shutdown gun stores whenever possible. 

I brought an elderly friend who wanted to change his carry (45 to 9) so I did call ahead to verify what we needed (he's 80+).

Our experience was excellent our wait was short, not enough time to even look (for me). 

After my friend was completely I also stated quite clearly I'm not going to buy anything but I should would like to see the differences (in hand) between the P224 and newer

P229 compact and there was no issue or rudeness what-so-ever.  I guess there's a possible sale potential but I clearly said there would not be.

Two things I did learn, I like my P224 better than the P229 compact, it's really very little different than my normal P229. 

If I want a larger grip I'd use an extended mag with the finger and I don't want a bigger beaver on a carry firearm and for God sakes a SAO version with a f... safety ahhhhh! 

I should just go buy another before they become harder to find. 

They also have a 1 gun a month policy they explained due to demand, well looking at the volume of 40's on the shelf I doubt that applies for them ;) 

I use to go to Mega to use the range all the time. I never had a single bad experience. When Pat left to move to Tn., it was still nice, but he was the best.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, Retiredguns said:

My new FOID has the CCL printed in the upper, right corner, but at the bottom it also says, "This does not authorize the carrying of a concealed weapon"

Is that just a standard statement on all of them?

It's a screw-up from printing CCLs on FOID stock. Some people are getting cards with it and some without. Supposedly ISP knows about it. I doubt they know which ones.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:54 PM, Euler said:

It's a screw-up from printing CCLs on FOID stock. Some people are getting cards with it and some without. Supposedly ISP knows about it. I doubt they know which ones.

Thanks. I figured something like that since CCL is printed on it. I should be fine unless Barney Fife looks at it.

For clarity's sake, what happens when my CCL expires next year? This is really dumb.

Edited by Retiredguns

On 3/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, Retiredguns said:

For clarity's sake, what happens when my CCL expires next year? This is really dumb.

You apply for CCL renewal, pay the fee, and the computer records of FOID and CCL expiry are updated. No new card is issued. The card you have now is all you get forever (aside from fixing the screw-up).

Okay, just for fun and self abuse I'll reply to this one to see if I might understand what's going on with my FOID card.

Got the letter from the state telling me that my card expires in 2024, but the expiration date on the card says May of this year.  Tried to check/renew on the website and of course got NO WHERE with that one.  Waiting for reply emails from the state as I type this.

Without reading all eight pages of replies I am now thinking that they have extended the expiration date to coincide with that of the Concealed Carry License.  Perhaps they might even send me a new FOID Card in near future without any expiration date.  If not I'll be carrying a copy of the letter should someone feel the need to refuse to accept the concealed carry license and and expired FOID Card.

Do I have it correct?  Will the "expired" FOID and current CCL with the letter get me weapons/ammo should my loading bench stop supplying my needs?

I'll check back latter this evening to see if the stronger intelligence give me comment/answers to the questions above.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:19 PM, jim schad said:

Do I have it correct? Will the "expired" FOID and current CCL with the letter get me weapons/ammo should my loading bench stop supplying my needs?

You'll get a new FOID without the expiration date. The letter is just telling you that you don't have to do anything.

So they sent me a letter telling me to renew my FOID Card before it expires in just over two years.  Good to know as I'm not bright enough to understand the letter.

Will be interesting to see if and when the new card without the expiration date shows up.  Might have saved time and money to send the new card and not a notification that says it will expire in a little over two years.  But then I'm also not a financial guy or economist either for that matter.  But I have stayed in a Holiday Inn and read books by Thomas Sowell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 6:05 PM, Packy said:

Not having an expiration date on the IL CCL, I suspect sometime soon, states that honor the Illinois CCL, will cease honoring it. Glad I have a 10-year Florida nonresident license.

That's an interesting point you brought up.  Law enforcement can run your card number if they feel like it, but not having an expiration date just adds another level of work for them in non-serious situations.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:05 PM, Packy said:

Not having an expiration date on the IL CCL, I suspect sometime soon, states that honor the Illinois CCL, will cease honoring it. Glad I have a 10-year Florida nonresident license.

Cops in other states mostly don't care about our pieces of plastic. They care about what their computers say. I'm not so sure police in IL care about our pieces of plastic (for the same reason).

On 3/31/2022 at 6:14 PM, Rmac702 said:

That's an interesting point you brought up.  Law enforcement can run your card number if they feel like it, but not having an expiration date just adds another level of work for them in non-serious situations.

That is only part of the picture. Law enforcement has always had the ability to run the "number". In fact, in the system (LEADS), your vehicle registration is tied to you drivers license, which is tied to the CCL (and FOID). So whenever your license plate is run, it will pull the CCL information for any of the registrants of the vehicle.  This has been in place for a while. (In the vehicle, the information is retrieved, but on a page that requires the LEO to navigate towards)

Now, by requiring a FOID lookup for ammo purchases, the ISP will now have the ability to track the usage for a all of your "simple" ammunition purchases. (This was not the case before). Now the ISP will be can expand the tracking of the law abiding gun owner.

If the ISP goes to the "Smart Phone/Card" technology, the tracking ability would be further enhanced. This potentially could be the time and location that the "card" was retrieved.

Just some food for thought.

February, 2022 ISP FOID/CCL Processing- With the release of the February, 2022 processing activity, below is some analysis of data provided on the ISP Statistics Web page (https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Statistics

A summary of the backlog activity is:

Analysis for
February, 2022

New Aps /  Trans Received

Processed

Estimated Backlog

Notes:

Current Month

Prior Month

% Chg

Current Month

Prior Month

% Chg

Current Month

Prior Month

% Chg

FOID New Applications

(11.1)

(26.2)

(13.0)

FOID Renewal Applications

(36.4)

(43.4)

(2,335)

(144.6)

CCL New Applications

(6.0)

(1.4)

CCL Renewal Applications

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Not reported by ISP

FTIPS Transactions

-

-

-

Portfolio

(9.8)

(19.8)

(51.8)

In an effort to reconcile the backlog calculated in the analysis and what the ISP calculates, and occasionally publishes as a backlog, a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request was submitted to the ISP relating to the backlogs. The ISP responded noting that the total FOID backlog (open processing greater than 30 days since receipt) of 165,534 as of April, 30, 2021. In the analysis, the total calculated backlog is 168,409 as of April 30, 2021. ISP did not break the backlog between New and Renewal applications. As the difference of 2,875 is just 1.71%  of the calculated backlog, the difference can be viewed as immaterial and a validation of the backlog calculation methodology. Until the ISP can break out the backlog between new and renewal applications, due to the immaterial nature of the difference, an adjustment will not be made to the backlog in this analysis. Additionally, in December, 2021 the Illinois State Police published, via a press release, that the FOID renewal backlog was at 7,800. For analytical purposes, the FOID renewal backlog was increased by 11,823 to bring the end of (month) November, 2021 backlog to 7,800.

Average Processing Time

Changes between February, 2022 and January,  2022 are:

Feb, 2022

Jan, 2022

Difference

% Change

New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days)

(1.94)

(8.92)

Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Days)

(1.05)

(3.04)

New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)

New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)

FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours)

-  

-  

The ISP average processing time for New CCL Applications (Non Fingerprint), FTIP reviews, New and Renewal FOID applications have landed below the statutory requirements. The ISP does not report on CCL renewals.

Feb, 2022

Statutory Requirement

Difference

% Change from Statutory Requirement

New FOID application Average Processing Time (Days)

(10.20)

(34.00)

Renewal FOID application Average Processing Time (Business Days)

(26.54)

(44.23)

New Non-Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)

(4.62)

(3.85)

New Fingerprint CCL Average Processing Time (Days)

FTIP Average Processing Time (Hours)

(30.25)

(42.01)

National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Illinois State Police data analysis

Included is an analysis of ISP related NICS data. A summary of activity: (https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics)

Feb-2022

NICS Analysis for
Feb-2022

IL Only

All NICS

IL as a % of All NICS

Prior Month

Current Month

Current Month YTD

YTD Prior Year (Feb-2021)

Overall Analysis Notes

Overview:

This is an analysis of the Illinois State Police (ISP) information for new Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) applications, new Concealed Carry License (CCL) applications, and Firearms Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP) transactions. The purpose of the analysis is to independently “re-calculate”/ verify the backlog of FOID and CCL applications from information published by the ISP. Due to the limitation of data made available by the ISP, a majority of the analysis focuses on new FOID, renewal FOID, and new CCL applications. FTIP transactions are added into the analysis as similar data is analyzed and similar resources may be used to analyze FOID, CCL, and FTIP items.

Methodology/Constraints:

Due to data availability, the initial calculation of the backlogs for new FOIL and CCL applications starts in January, 2020. For Renewal FOID applications, the calculation starts in March, 2020 to coincide with the publication of data. To calculate the backlog, the number of new applications received is reduced by the number of decisions, approved or denied, given.  Subsequent monthly backlogs (new applications less approved and denied applications) are then included in the initial backlog to determine the cumulative backlog. Please note that the overall cumulative backlog is probably understated, but this methodology, when applied over time, will show the overall status (or trend) of a backlog. As this analysis has been ongoing, information has been requested either directly from ISP or via Illinois Legislature representatives’ offices. In December, 2021 the Illinois State Police published, via a press release, that the FOID renewal backlog was at 7,800. For analytical purposes, the FOID renewal backlog was increased by 11,823 to bring the end of (month) November, 2021 backlog to 7,800.