New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

Another problem is I see about 20% of my students do not get the letters from the ISP about expiration. In fact, I didn't get one from them about my CCL expiring, but did on the FOID. 

The cards need expiration anyway, like money they get worn out and need to be replaced. Since they are only printing one card, it won't cost them more either. Just print a new card every five years, unless, or until the FOID is gone.

• Molly B. pinned this topic

I just wanted to add a bit since someone mentioned them "MegaSports".

I understand a business being very strict on the rules (even photo's) when your surrounded by people working to actively to shutdown gun stores whenever possible. 

I brought an elderly friend who wanted to change his carry (45 to 9) so I did call ahead to verify what we needed (he's 80+).

Our experience was excellent our wait was short, not enough time to even look (for me). 

After my friend was completely I also stated quite clearly I'm not going to buy anything but I should would like to see the differences (in hand) between the P224 and newer

P229 compact and there was no issue or rudeness what-so-ever.  I guess there's a possible sale potential but I clearly said there would not be.

Two things I did learn, I like my P224 better than the P229 compact, it's really very little different than my normal P229. 

If I want a larger grip I'd use an extended mag with the finger and I don't want a bigger beaver on a carry firearm and for God sakes a SAO version with a f... safety ahhhhh! 

I should just go buy another before they become harder to find. 

They also have a 1 gun a month policy they explained due to demand, well looking at the volume of 40's on the shelf I doubt that applies for them ;) 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:11 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

If I want a larger grip I'd use an extended mag with the finger and I don't want a bigger beaver on a carry firearm and for God sakes a SAO version with a f... safety ahhhhh! 

I guess that’s kinda like wearing suspenders and a belt - just in case.

first time back to check, monday night after first business day.

"under review"

further down on page:

"Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing."

Edited by markthesignguy

On 1/11/2022 at 12:12 AM, markthesignguy said:

"under review"

further down on page:

"Your submission successfully completed the background review and has been sent to await printing."

I got the same message a month ago. Still waiting for my new card.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, Black Flag said:

I know a certain gun store where they are real sticklers for all kinds of things, where at some point I think you have to have a valid FOID to enter the store...

Are they gonna melt down?

I think you can say megasports.  

They were good to me this time (as always), I just try to remember there's surrounded by a bunch of a...holes trying to find any excuse to try shut them down. 

So anal (ME) doesn't have a problem with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my renewed FOID in the mail.  I feel lucky having waited 84 days.  I was surprised that It had an indicator of N that I did not have a CCL.  I applied for my CCL renewal back in March or April because it was expiring in May of 2021.  Been waiting over 285 days for that one to go through, still Under Review.  I thought everything was still valid until 6 months after the declared ending of the pandemic?  It’s sad when the highest law enforcement agency in the state still refuses to follow the law.

Edited by notatreehugger
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

Another unexpected consequence of this well researched law.

In today's ISRA bulletin:

I have received a few questions about fingerprints and the FOID card.  The idea was that if you supplied fingerprints, your FOID card would become a lifetime FOID card.  The original idea was to use any fingerprints you already had on file with the State of Illinois.  It turns out the feds have laws against such uses.  The Illinois State Police were told they could not do that.  So, starting January 1, 2023, if you want to supply fingerprints to the ISP, you will have to get a whole new set of fingerprints and submit them to the ISP.  I do not expect there to be long lines to do this. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, John Q Public said:

Another problem is I see about 20% of my students do not get the letters from the ISP about expiration. In fact, I didn't get one from them about my CCL expiring, but did on the FOID. 

The cards need expiration anyway, like money they get worn out and need to be replaced. Since they are only printing one card, it won't cost them more either. Just print a new card every five years, unless, or until the FOID is gone.

20% don't?!?! I've trained thousands since 2013 and ask in every single class "Who's renewed their FOID? Who has received a renewal letter?" 8! Only 8 people in the thousands I've trained have received a renewal letter from the ISP. I've had a FOID since I was 21 and have never received a renewal letter. I'm now 44. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:01 PM, mauserme said:

Can the fingerprint mandate be far behind?

Absolutely not. Give an inch and they'll take a mile. Open the door, and they'll kick it in. We've seen time and time again, every time we give an inch, within a few years it back fires on us. This shall be no different. Give it 2 years. Finger prints will be REQUIRED. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, davel501 said:

Are they going to be able to use the CCL prints or are those off-limits too?

According to the ISRA if you submitted finger prints, you'll have to submit finger prints again AFTER January 1st 2013. 

I've been training as long as you, and I found the results different. I guess Cook gets the mail better than we do.... 

Hey, who am I to debate with someone who has trained thousands and tells me I am full of ****? I had 4 in the last class that never got a letter.  

JD

Edited by John Q Public

On 1/11/2022 at 12:12 AM, markthesignguy said:

"under review"

further down on page:

Just looked at it, :

ACTIVE   PRINTED 2/1/2022   EXPIRATION 2/1/2032

Your card is valid. If your card was recently issued, it is on its way to you. Please allow time for printing and mailing. Please contact our office if you have not received the card within 45 days of the issue date.

I advised students to leave their FOID card at home and just carry their CCL. In case it's lost or stolen, you can still buy and transport. Now, with one card, if lost or stolen both are invalid. ~Sigh~  Just another thing to throw on the pile. If someone mentioned this, sorry.

JQ

Edited by John Q Public