New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

MollyB

Your second bullet point on the OP states that the CCL indicator will be on the new FOIDS as it shows in that post. Will this mean we don't need a separate card for CCL once we receive these new FOIDS? If we still need a separate card why have that indicator on the FOID? So many ways to read this stuff and so many opinions it's a bit hard to keep track!

So, I watched the video Molly posted of the webinar. Not much detail there, just the highlights and still didn't get the answer to my question.

How am I supposed to know when my CCL expires? There is no issue date on the new card and no expiration date on the new card. ISP is horrible about sending out reminders and even if they send out a reminder is it going to be with enough time to allow a person to schedule and take the refresher class?

On 12/27/2021 at 7:51 AM, Molly B. said:

The new statute says renewal notices will be sent out 180 days prior to expiration.  Do we know there will not be an issue date on the card?

IN the webinar, if I remember correctly, it didn't show an issue date or an expiration date. 

The examples they provided did not include an issue date. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:05 PM, Molly B. said:

The plan:

FOID and CCL  cards will continue to expire 10 and 5 years from the date of issuance respectively.  Card holders can view the issuance and expiration date for the cards on their web user dashboard,  cardholders will receive the appropriate notifications 180 days prior to their expiration ...

If this is the case, why can't we just send a screen shot copy to ammo sellers and call it a day?

Just a thought maybe a solution.

This is the most retarded thing I have read since the foid card began. Kiss online ammo sales goodbye! Does anyone seriously think retailers are going to take the step to check foid card? No, they will put SORRY, NO SALES TO ILLINOIS. AND IF A DEALER DID AGREE TO using that system, HOW HAS THAT SYSTEM worked out in the last year or so?

5.  Ammunition sales:  Due to not having the expiration date on the cards, dealers will have to verify the validity of the card electronically or by phone for ammo sales

On 12/27/2021 at 8:58 PM, Dave D said:

... Does anyone seriously think retailers are going to take the step to check foid card? ...

Especially if the state requires retailers to have individual IDs to login and enter what they sold in each transaction. I'm not saying that's what the state will do, but it's not contrary to anything it's done so far.

With respect the online ammo sales...

If I have just recently updated my FOID card with online merchants after waiting 15 months, so now they have my current FOID with the expiration date 10 years from now, what is to keep me from just letting them have that documentation if I get the new, non-dated card?

I would really like someone's opinion about the issue above.

Secondly, based on a previous post, cards issued starting 1-1-2022 and all other current, dated cards will be replaced with the new non-dated cards during the 2022 year.  Does anyone think the ISP is going to be able to turn over 1.5+ million cards in one year when they are just now beginning to keep up with current applications and renewals?

Of course it is going to make some online sellers stop selling here.  But even locally, it is going to be an impact.  Go to Bass Pro Shop, want to buy some H-110.  Before, you could check out at the front, quick check of FOID.  Do you think that will continue?  Just wait, you will only be ale to check out in the firearms area, as that will be the only place they will run the check.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, cybermgk said:

Of course it is going to make some online sellers stop selling here.  But even locally, it is going to be an impact.  Go to Bass Pro Shop, want to buy some H-110.  Before, you could check out at the front, quick check of FOID.  Do you think that will continue?  Just wait, you will only be ale to check out in the firearms area, as that will be the only place they will run the check.

I fully agree with what you’re saying, but have to ask.  Why would they check your FOID to buy powder?  Not required by state law that I know of.  

If they have an expiration date, will they check?  Or will then check anyway because they know that IL has enacted this (stupid) new law?  That is the million-dollar question.  I am thinking that to avoid any liability, they may decide to call...if they are still going to sell to IL.  But, until now, they haven't done that anyway if you have a card that shows a valid date.  What a bunch of BS.  

On 12/28/2021 at 3:51 PM, ILgunguy said:

If they have an expiration date, will they check?  Or will then check anyway because they know that IL has enacted this (stupid) new law?  ...

They're going to do whatever their lawyers advise them to do, same as now. Vendors who refuse to ship to IL now refuse because they'd rather not have to figure out when they can and when they can't. It's easier just to write the whole state off.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, Euler said:

They're going to do whatever their lawyers advise them to do, same as now. Vendors who refuse to ship to IL now refuse because they'd rather not have to figure out when they can and when they can't. It's easier just to write the whole state off.

And that is what the state wants. If they can't make it illegal, make it where folks won't bother

Wow, just catching up on all this nonsense.  I was out of town and saw the video from Guns & Gadgets about this, but didn't quite follow what he was saying.  Now that I'm up to speed...

I didn't see any mention about simply handling a firearm.  I don't know if it's law or just common CYA practice, but dealers want to see your FOID just so you can handle a firearm in the store, nevermind purchase one.  Are they going to have to validate those interactions in, too?

On 12/31/2021 at 4:58 PM, EdDinIL said:

I didn't see any mention about simply handling a firearm.  I don't know if it's law or just common CYA practice, but dealers want to see your FOID just so you can handle a firearm in the store, nevermind purchase one.  Are they going to have to validate those interactions in, too?

Those are store policies, not the law. It'll be up to the store whether they validate the card online. Should we now try to guess what MegaSports will do?

On 12/31/2021 at 7:05 PM, Euler said:

It's still not the law that you need a FOID to touch a firearm to examine it. The only relevant law is that a store can't sell you a firearm without a FOID.

It may not be a law but most stores won't even let you handle ammo (if it is in a locked case), much less a gun, without you showing your FOID.