New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

And the ISRA's focus while all this is going on?

In those days, Christmas lights were incandescent bulbs that got very hot.  You had to be careful to keep the tree well-watered and place the bulbs away from the needles.

and

One of the fun things around Christmas is all of the varieties, shapes and sizes of chocolate that are out there.  The world loves chocolate. 

What the actual heck is going on over there?

On 12/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, Tvandermyde said:

After all, one group was Neutral

I spoke with a GOP rep this week, who mentioned that they were being barraged with comments from angry gun owners for their vote for HB562.

And why?  After all, "This was the bill that ISRA said that they were neutral on."

I brought up the subject of the ISRA pushing the bill while hiding behind their neutrality, and further clarified that by asking, "didn't they push that bill by shopping around,  telling the legislators that they were neutral on it?  That was the bill to vote for?"  Yes, they did.

Edited to Add:
This legislator tried to do the right thing, by following the ISRA lobbyists. 
Yes, legislators could take it upon themselves to know more about important issues.  This one trusted the ISRA.

Anybody else notice that the first seven digits of the new “AL” number look suspiciously like a date? 
I guess we’ll have to wait till these appear in the wild to see what might be encoded there — random date, issuance, print, initial expiry, even DOB.???

Have been through the whole thing but what’s the stated purpose of this AL number??

It looks as though several of my FB posts about this has stirred some ire with ISRA's lobbyist. And since I have been the one poking the bear, I'm now the fault of everything for their actions when I, Valinda and NRA all testified against it. Guess I'm gonna have to dig up some old emails and memos. . . 

Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 1.56.45 PM (1).png

IIRC, the elimination of the expiration date from the card was portrayed as the FOID never expiring unless the holder became a “prohibited person”.  Obviously that is not the case.  It still expires, but now it will be harder to determine when that date is and to make sure that it is “renewed” upon gun purchases as promised.  I too passed along the idea of the “digital card” information showing the expiration date.  That will eliminate the agency’s responsibility to print new cards, but give us proof of validity when making purchases face to face and a screen shot to send to online ammo sellers.  I thought that digital license info was acceptable to Illinois Conservation police in the case of hunting/fishing license but can’t find verifying statutes.  Maybe one of you can verify/disprove that.  I do know in MO, there is an app for that and digital hunting license are common.  

As I’ve said privately, digital access with an expiration date might make this **** sandwich just palatable enough to endure until we can get the whole concept of FOID declared unconstitutional, which should be the goal of every 2A friendly organization with activity in Illinois.

For starters I believe the FOID card should be found unconstitutional and go away. With that being said. 

Until that happens and now that the expiration date is being removed from the card, along with the fact that your card will be renewed when you renew your FCCL and it's renewed when you purchase a firearm, what's the use of the expiration date. 

Considering our cards are background checked nightly for disqualifiers 360 days a year. Why have an expiration date.  Why shouldn't they be valid until they are either suspended or revoked. 

If they're renewed automatically as stated above, does that mean we pay every time they're renewed.  I think their plan is a total cluster ****. 

In Todd we trust.  

The only way I would renew my membership with the ISRA is if Pearson is gone and Todd takes over the ISRA 😁👍 

Stay on them Todd 

The FOID scheme is unconstitutional. Now if we can get more than the two of us plus the Illinois Supreme Court to agree to that, this fumble by the legislature will disappear. In the meantime, it becomes more and more complicated and burdensome to not only acquire a firearm and ammunition but to also carry. 

So how will I know my date of my CCL expiration? I don't have an issue date nor do I have an expiration date on the new cards. 

Will they still send out just a CCL card? Are they doing away with the required renewal training for the CCL since I no longer have an expiration date? 

On 12/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, Rmac702 said:

The private firearm transfer takes effect 1-2024.

Going through an FFL private sale begins in 2024.

Since posting my earlier question ,I went and read the most recent version of the act and it already states this reporting  requirement for private sales.I knew it was in the original bill,but didn't know it made it into the act until now.

ETA.    (b) Any person within this State who transfers or causes to be transferred any firearm, stun gun, or taser shall keep a record of such transfer for a period of 10 years from the date of transfer. Any person within this State who receives any firearm, stun gun, or taser pursuant to subsection (a-10) shall provide a record of the transfer within 10 days of the transfer to a federally licensed firearm dealer and shall not be required to maintain a transfer record. The federally licensed firearm dealer shall maintain the transfer record for 20 years from date of receipt

Somehow this slipped by me until now.

Edited by Redlin

On 12/25/2021 at 2:35 PM, Redlin said:

Going through an FFL private sale begins in 2024.

Since posting my earlier question ,I went and read the most recent version of the act and it already states this reporting  requirement for private sales.I knew it was in the original bill,but didn't know it made it into the act until now.

ETA.    (b) Any person within this State who transfers or causes to be transferred any firearm, stun gun, or taser shall keep a record of such transfer for a period of 10 years from the date of transfer. Any person within this State who receives any firearm, stun gun, or taser pursuant to subsection (a-10) shall provide a record of the transfer within 10 days of the transfer to a federally licensed firearm dealer and shall not be required to maintain a transfer record. The federally licensed firearm dealer shall maintain the transfer record for 20 years from date of receipt

Somehow this slipped by me until now.

A little unclear about what you are saying about the private sale FFL reporting.  Here are the details that take effect 1-2024:

The following additional provisions take effect on Jan. 1, 2024:

• Requires person-to-person firearm transfers to be subject to National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) checks at a federal licensed firearms dealer or through online validation by the Illinois State Police using NICS.
• Requires Federal Firearms Licensures (FFL) to keep the record of a transfer for 20 years. On the demand of a peace officer, transferees have to identify the FFL dealer maintaining the transfer record. The penalty for not doing so is a Class A misdemeanor.
• Requires that those who receive a firearm in a private transfer to provide a record of the transfer to a licensed firearm dealer within 10 days. The dealer in turn must keep the record for 20 years and may charge up to $25 for keeping it. The recipient of the firearm must be able to provide the name of the firearm dealer maintaining the record for that particular firearm upon demand by law enforcement. Failure to do so is a Class A misdemeanor.

On 12/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, Rmac702 said:

A little unclear about what you are saying about the private sale FFL reporting. 

I agree it is unclear.I am pulling my info from https://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78184-hb562-foid-modernization-act-complilation-of-changes/ ,1st post synopsis of changes,that's where I saw the reporting requirement .Also from the FOID act on the ISP websitehttps://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39.Those sources seem to state it pretty clearly.Then I am also reading all different interpretations of what I am reading on those two sources.That's why I was asking for clarification in my origInal question

On 12/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, FLMOPE said:

Okay. I am going to ask an honest question. I have tried to read through this thread but I not clear on it.

When will you get the new card. When you renew? Or is everyone getting a new card regardless of expiration date. If everyone is getting a new card, when will this happen?

Last I read,  they will be issued throughout 2022 to new applicants, renewals and to existing non-expired holders.  Everyone is supposed to get the new cards in 2022.

Edited by Rmac702