New FOID/CCL Cards Beginning 1-1-2022

The ISP conducted a webinar this past week with IL licensed firearm dealers to give them a heads-up on the new FOID/CCL cards to be issued after 1-1-2022.

Notes of interest:

1. New FOID cards will be issued without expiration dates - there will still be expiration dates but not printed on the card.

2. CCL will be indicated on the top right-hand of the card.

3.  Old FOID cards with expiration dates will be phased out throughout the year with new cards issued to current card holders.

4. New cards will have an additional number at the bottom of the card for added security.

5.  Ammunition sales:  Due to not having the expiration date on the cards, dealers will have to verify the validity of the card electronically or by phone for ammo sales

6. Dealers will leave the 'expiration date of identification" blank on their 4473s

Video of the webinar:

On 12/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, Molly B. said:

Ammunition sales:  Due to not having the expiration date on the cards, dealers will have to verify the validity of the card electronically or by phone for ammo sales

Another thing to explain to online ammo sellers.Or just tell them it doesn't expire.Hmmm...

As I posted earlier, it's not just ammo sales that are affected; it's also online gun purchases.  You must show the online seller a valid picture of your FOID and drivers license to purchase any ammo or any gun online.  The online sellers most likely will just say NO MORE sales to Illinois if they have to check validity.  I hope Molly gets on this pronto.  I really don't understand the purpose of having no expiration date on the FOID card, other than to restrict purchases by lawful citizens. 

Also, I have a membership at Shoot Point Blank, and every time I use the range, I have to show them my ID and FOID card. If the card does not have an expiration date, that means they will have to run a check each time I use the range, and that's absolutely ridiculous and time consuming.  

Edited by Rmac702

On 12/19/2021 at 9:06 AM, Molly B. said:

Ammunition sales:  Due to not having the expiration date on the cards, dealers will have to verify the validity of the card electronically or by phone for ammo sales

I think if there's money to be made, online sellers may well check FOIDs electronically. If there is a viable system for doing so, of course.

By phone? How's the phone thing working out currently?

On 12/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, Rmac702 said:

Online ammo/gun sellers will not like checking the status of your card, so I believe they just won't ship to Illinois. No expiration date on the card is another form of GUN CONTROL and should be rectified immediately!

This. 

Goodbye online ammo sales for IL.  Only IL can figure out new way to screw gun owners!  I'm guessing this will even affect local sales as well.  Some big box store may not want to deal with this mess either.  I could see all ammo having to be bought at local gun stores now at an inflated price. 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:47 AM, papa said:

So if we don't remember the expiration date of our F O I D card then we have to call in also? I guess we can go online and check every couple months to see if we are nearing a renewal date ??

If our FOID is also our CCL, I suspect it expires in 5 years instead of 10. There nothing stopping me from writing the exp date on the card itself. They're probably doing this to avoid issuing a new card for the "automatic" renewal every time someone runs an FTIP check.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:12 PM, Rmac702 said:

... You must show the online seller a valid picture of your FOID and drivers license to purchase any ammo or any gun online. ...

Also, I have a membership at Shoot Point Blank, and every time I use the range, I have to show them my ID and FOID card. If the card does not have an expiration date, that means they will have to run a check each time I use the range, and that's absolutely ridiculous and time consuming.  

Online ammo, yes. Online firearm, no. Whether you are who you say you are is between you and your local FFL.

There has never been a law or any other requirement to have a FOID to shoot at any range, except for the company policies of the ranges themselves. They'll probably just live with not knowing the exp date, but that's up to them.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, mikew said:

I could see myself holding onto a FOID card that still has an expiration date on it.

Or will the state come out and say that a FOID with a date on it is invalid?

This is my intention, as well, but I suspect the ISP will say that cards with expiration dates are invalid beginning in 2023.

On 12/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, Euler said:

There has never been a law or any other requirement to have a FOID to shoot at any range, except for the company policies of the ranges themselves. They'll probably just live with not knowing the exp date, but that's up to them.

The reason for having a valid FOID at the range is usually not only for "company policy" but also for insurance purposes. For underwritting purposes, insurance carrries will require FOID verificaton. So with the new proposed process, and the "appearent" varibility of the FOID status/ expiration, we might need to get used to longer lines to go to the range. Also, if you go to the range to shoot, and in a seperate transaction you purchase some ammo, you will get two checks on your FOID. I am not sure what the ISP would do with this information, but I am sure somepne will do something with it.

Also, how will the DNR deal with this? If you are out hunting, and you are requested to supply your FOID in a random check, what happens if there is no cell service? How would the agent verify the expiration of the FOID? I would hope that the ISP/ Legislature/ Governor have thought this one out and have plans in place to address this.

I haven’t seen the new law.

Have some questions though.

Is the law codified to require expiration checks by vendors?

Is it even codified to require validity checks by vendors?

What, exactly, are the requirements placed upon vendors?

Might a vendor require a “Valid FOID” with the caveat that by providing a copy of your FOID you attest that you possess a legal, valid, unexpired FOID.

After all, they set the precedent by allowing CCL holders to present an expired CCL as valid by attesting that you have applied for renewal.

Yep, this could get really ugly. Illinois is certainly not known for writing clear, concise, complete laws….

On 12/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tip said:

Is the law codified to require expiration checks by vendors?

Is it even codified to require validity checks by vendors?

What, exactly, are the requirements placed upon vendors?

Might a vendor require a “Valid FOID” with the caveat that by providing a copy of your FOID you attest that you possess a legal, valid, unexpired FOID.

Vendors need only check validity. that's always been the law. Except for a firearm, which requires an FTIP check, typically vendors only checked expiration dates. I suppose they could presume that if you have a FOID, then it's not expired. How many ammo vendors would risk it, though?

On 12/19/2021 at 8:00 PM, Chinto said:

Is it still true that a valid CCL is all that is needed to by ammo and/or gun as it has a expiration date and can only exist with a valid FOID?  Did this get changed with this new nonsense?

The new FOID is the new CCL. It's one card.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:08 PM, Euler said:

Vendors need only check validity. that's always been the law. Except for a firearm, which requires an FTIP check, typically vendors only checked expiration dates. I suppose they could presume that if you have a FOID, then it's not expired. How many ammo vendors would risk it, though?

The new FOID is the new CCL. It's one card.

That’s exactly my point.
The only “validity” vendors have been checking up to now is physical possession. Unless the law codifies something different nothing really has changed. They never checked the validity of a card with a date on it — what requires them to do something different for a card without a date on it?? In the past they basically relied on the buyer presenting them a card and attesting to its validity.
Does Illinois contend that a date on a card that happens to be in the future really infers validity?

On 12/19/2021 at 8:20 PM, Tip said:

Does Illinois contend that a date on a card that happens to be in the future really infers validity?

It implies it for any other card from any other state. Obviously cops and firearm vendors check for revocation/suspension, too, but anyone else only ever looks at the expiration date.

When you interact with someone who needs to see your DL, unless they're a cop, they don't call the DMV.

On 12/19/2021 at 8:24 PM, mauserme said:
On 12/19/2021 at 8:19 PM, Euler said:

Are you asserting that expired FOIDs were legally good enough for ammo purchases?

No, I am stating that your assertion about the law is incorrect.

You appear to have misunderstood my assertion, then. Checking the expiration date = checking the validity (in that vast majority of cases). That's what expiration means.