A jogger, 2 rottweilers, and a CCL

Euler

Chicago Tribune

Chicago Tribune said:

The horrific attack began innocently enough, according to [Kane County Sheriff Ron] Hain. A Labradoodle made it past an electric fence and ran from its yard to where the woman was jogging "to greet her in the street," officials said. The jogger and the homeowner were acquaintances and friendly with one another, so the woman stopped running, grabbed the Labradoodle by its collar and helped it back to its owner, who had been standing in her driveway watching the exchange.

That's when the two Rottweilers came bounding out of that home and started to attack the jogger, Hain said.

The homeowner was trying to pull the dogs off the jogger when a man who has a license to carry a concealed weapon drove by, saw the commotion and got out of his vehicle to try to help pull the dogs off the jogger.

But the man didn't have a gun with him, Hain said.

"So he called his father, who was maybe a block away, and asked him to get his gun and bring it to him, which he did. I believe he put it in his car and the man retrieved it," Hain said.

The noise from the single gunshot caused both dogs to retreat and the dog who was shot died "a short time later," according to Hain.

1. Keep your tools on you. That's why you have a CCL.
  2. Pulling at an attacking dog just makes it attack harder.

My dog got attacked at a campground some years ago while we were on a walk. My dog was on a leash per requirements and the other dog was not. It came running over to us and we were not going to avoid the situation no matter how you slice it. Anyhow the loose dog had clamped down on my dog's neck and wouldn't let go despite me kicking it and smacking it with my hand. In an instant I decided to smash the slide of my gun over its head and it let go and ran toward its owner who only came over because he saw my gun come out. His dog attacking mine was of no concern. For those wondering this was also not in Illinois and it was also before IL had a CCL so I was carrying with a Utah non-resident license.

Archived