Plan on moving out of Illinois?

usmc2111

Plan on moving out of Illinois?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on moving out of Illinois?

• I plan on moving out of Illinois in the future (1-2) years
    • I plan on remaining in Illinois.
    • I would like to leave Illinois but cannot do to any number of reasons (family, financial, job, etc)

Our plan is to move out of Illinois to either Wyoming or Utah when my husband retires from his job (5 years).  IF he could find a job out there now we would move immediately although we would have to kidnap my 94 year old mother as she is quite comfortable in her own home with her familiar surroundings.   Thinking about buying land (at least 5 acres) now to build on later.

Nephew and his girlfriend are moving to a new house in Tennessee this month.  She convinced him that TN is a whole lot better/cheaper place to live than Illinois.  Both were able to get transfers from their current jobs so it was an easy move.  However, I had to give them the "How to vote to preserve it" lecture.  Hopefully they heed it.

Moving, to TN most likely.Been there a few times already looking at properties/homes.Right now the housing market prices down there are over inflated IMO,but we still have time until our daughter graduates from college nearby us up here in about a year and a half,so hopefully prices correct themselves.The reasons for moving are taxes and laws.Of course the mountains and hills of eastern TN have a lot to do with it too.My previous retirement area was down in the Shawnee Natl. Forest in so. IL .I really like the people and geography down there but,..it's still IL.

On 12/16/2021 at 9:16 AM, GSDlady said:

Our plan is to move out of Illinois to either Wyoming or Utah when my husband retires from his job (5 years).  IF he could find a job out there now we would move immediately although we would have to kidnap my 94 year old mother as she is quite comfortable in her own home with her familiar surroundings.   Thinking about buying land (at least 5 acres) now to build on later.

Nephew and his girlfriend are moving to a new house in Tennessee this month.  She convinced him that TN is a whole lot better/cheaper place to live than Illinois.  Both were able to get transfers from their current jobs so it was an easy move.  However, I had to give them the "How to vote to preserve it" lecture.  Hopefully they heed it.

We have similar "parental problems" and for the same reason(s).

According to info I have from the Tax Foundation (https://taxfoundation.org/), TN had the highest sales tax rate as of 1/2020 at 9.53%.  Louisiana and Arkansas are #2 & #3 respectively.  In previous maps for earlier years, those 3 states seem to rotate at being the highest.  TN is #31 for gasoline taxes as of 7/2020 but appears to only tax interest and dividend income with a state rate of only 1%.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:17 PM, Redlin said:

Moving, to TN most likely.Been there a few times already looking at properties/homes.Right now the housing market prices down there are over inflated IMO,but we still have time until our daughter graduates from college nearby us up here in about a year and a half,so hopefully prices correct themselves.The reasons for moving are taxes and laws.Of course the mountains and hills of eastern TN have a lot to do with it too.My previous retirement area was down in the Shawnee Natl. Forest in so. IL .I really like the people and geography down there but,..it's still IL.

I wonder if the time to move to TN was more like 20 years ago. Several people I know and know of, who considered TN ultimately bought somewhere else. 

Big money investors seem to like slurping up homes in certain communities there and renting them out. That inflates prices everywhere, and can make a “nice affordable block” become quite transient. 

I moved to Indiana this fall.  I got my Indiana Lifetime LTC in less than two weeks.  The day I became an official Indiana resident (by applying for my Indiana DL), I applied online for an Indiana License to Carry.  I made an appointment same day for fingerprints, and followed it up two days later with a visit to the sheriff's office (as local law enforcement process the application here instead of state agency).  I had my lifetime carry license sooner than I had my "Real ID" drivers license, and it cost all of $13 (fingerprint fee).  Very different process than Illinois.  (And I suspect by next year Indiana will go Constitutional Carry and the license will be moot anyway except for reciprocity.)

I would like to move out of Illinois, but due to family reasons i am stuck here for the next several years.  I figure that will give me enough time to see if the liberals destroy the last actual free states of America in the coming years as they exit the cesspools they left due to their own voting habits.  In the interim I may move someplace even more rural as people are fleeing from Chicago and bringing their crime to the outlying areas.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:50 AM, Xwing said:

I moved to Indiana this fall.  I got my Indiana Lifetime LTC in less than two weeks.  The day I became an official Indiana resident (by applying for my Indiana DL), I applied online for an Indiana License to Carry.  I made an appointment same day for fingerprints, and followed it up two days later with a visit to the sheriff's office (as local law enforcement process the application here instead of state agency).  I had my lifetime carry license sooner than I had my "Real ID" drivers license, and it cost all of $13 (fingerprint fee).  Very different process than Illinois.  (And I suspect by next year Indiana will go Constitutional Carry and the license will be moot anyway except for reciprocity.)

That's really great and quick.  I have had a CCL in a couple of other states and they were about $65 and a couple of weeks and I thought that was good.  

We just don't want to go through the hassle of moving.  Besides.  Where I live our taxes aren't at all bad, and this county is pretty much pro-gun.  I'm a stone's throw from Missouri and their gas is cheap.

I don't think the Dems in Illinois are going to hammer too hard on gun owners.  Why?  Because if they did, they would lose too many Democrat voters.   

With everybody moving out, some places are becoming fairly sparsely populated.  Makes it kind of nice.  I hope more people leave.  

On 12/27/2021 at 2:13 PM, max503 said:

I don't think the Dems in Illinois are going to hammer too hard on gun owners.  Why?  Because if they did, they would lose too many Democrat voters.  

Talk to Julie Morrison.

https://www.gunrights4illinois.com/blog/illinois-senator-julie-morrison-discusses-assault-weapon-ban-and-confiscation/

We plan on remaining until such time as it makes more sense, financially, economically and politically, to move.

That could be within your 1-2 year timeframe, but could also be well past that. 
Right now, while easily financially feasible it makes absolutely no sense economically to do so. Farmland prices, profit margins still well outweigh the less than desirable political climate. When the political climate down here starts to sour we’ll reconsider. Perhaps all you “northerners” can fix your political climate before that happens…..

If JB and the Dems start taxing retirement income that will be the last straw for me and my wife.  The fact that retirement income is exempt currently is a huge plus.

We have access to cultural events, excellent healthcare,  sports and great schools where I live. Until I am an empty nester we will stay in Illinois for now.  Subject to change based on taxes as mentioned earlier.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, TK 9mm said:

If JB and the Dems start taxing retirement income that will be the last straw for me and my wife.  The fact that retirement income is exempt currently is a huge plus.

We have access to cultural events, excellent healthcare,  sports and great schools where I live. Until I am an empty nester we will stay in Illinois for now.  Subject to change based on taxes as mentioned earlier.

Same here.  We have everything in close proximity.  If they tax retirement, or go crazy on the gun stuff I could see hopping over the river to Missouri.  Till then I'm sitting tight.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, JTHunter said:

Considering the economic condition of this state, I believe that it is a foregone conclusion that the ILGA will devise some form of tax on ALL retirement income, including Social Security.

There should be a "processing" fee for sending Illinois pension payments to out of state residents.

I hoped for no federal money so the state tanked before the election but JB will be able to claim success for another year get elected and then we will tank. 

Addicts have to hit bottom the sooner the better, we are just still digging. 

On 1/10/2022 at 8:01 PM, lilguy said:

After seeing fat ******* touting his accomplishments in a campaign ad my wife, for the first time, asked where could we move. Im thinking the Carolinas.  Any suggestions.

Sicking, put off the day of reckoning for another year with federal dollars, this SOB is still digging. 

Archived