Renewal Question

My FOID card expires in 6 months, and I just got an email from ISP about renewal. I got into the Portal with little trouble and entered my personal information. Without me providing any further information (most particularly about about payment), it displayed a page that repeated my information correctly (adding my FOID card #).

However, there was no "Renew" button, as I was expecting. Instead, another part of that page said, "Your submission was sent to the print queue. Your card is on its way. Please allow time for printing and mailing."

I would be fine with this, were it not for the fact there was no financial transaction. At the risk of appearing foolish or poorly informed, what am I missing here or what have I done wrong?

Rich Phillips

You got me, pardner. I just followed the instructions as best I could.

I'm puzzled by the lack of payment issue. To my knowledge, the State doesn't have a credit card on file for me.

So the central question is why would they send me a notice to renew, and then when I go through the process they present me with, tell me a card is being printed without me paying for it?

Rich

Perhaps it was "automatic" renewal more than a year early.

430 ILCS 65/3.1(b-5) said:

By January 1, 2023, the Illinois State Police shall by rule provide a process for the automatic renewal of the Firearm Owner's Identification Card of a person at the time of an inquiry in subsection (b). Persons eligible for this process must have a set of fingerprints on file with their application under either subsection (a-25) of Section 4 or the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

A "subsection (b)" inquiry is FTIP for a firearm purchase. I believe the correct expression is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

I just received the same renewal email and when I logged on to renew there was no RENEW button.  Mine doesn't expire for about another 110 days so I am thinking a glitch of some kind.

I did not click on anything  and my screen also showed "Your submission was sent to the print queue. Your card is on its way. Please allow time for printing and mailing."  So I am thinking that information line was never cleared from my previous transaction (change of address earlier this year).

I did see on the ISP FOID Facts:  A FOID Card holder may renew their FOID card up to 90 days in advance of the expiration date.

For now I will wait.

This is an error in the recently revamped application process. They are working on a fix and expect it shortly. If the Renew button is there go ahead and click and you should be able to continue with the application. Effective Jan1, 2022 with the implementation of the FOId Modernization act you will be allowed to renew up to 6 mos prior to expiration. 

Since you are 6 mos from renewal the renewal button will not be active. Usually is is not active until within 90 days. However, as of Jan 1 , I suspect they will convert to the new 6 mos prior renewal for all FOID. I would check again early Jan  to see if renewal button appears. Normally you would not get the renewal letter this far in advance but perhaps the new parameters are catching up in the system. All dashboards are now showing the same message yours has and you cannot proceed with renewal until the button is active, your status will then change to under review after you  complete application and pay. Hope this helps. Also remember you are under the Covid ext during all of this  as well.

Update to my previous post above:

This morning I logged on and noticed a RENEW button and figured I would try it.

Although my FOID doesn't expire for about 110 days I was able to go through the complete renewal process online.  When I was done I received the message:

"Thank you for using the online portal for submitting your FOID application. The Illinois State Police will process your application within 30 days for a new FOID application and 60 business days for a FOID renewal application. These timelines are contingent upon application information being accurate, complete and compliant with state requirements. Please allow an additional 7-10 business days for printing and mailing time."

I did go back and look at the original logon screen and now it showed:  "We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue."

The whole process took about 25 minutes which included taking and uploading a head/shoulders picture,  and payment.  I reverified every page before I saved it and went to the next page so I could get it right the first time.

Total cost including fees was $11.00, Item fee + $10.00 + Service fee $1.00

For me, I was 116 days from expiration. Today, I saw the "renew" button was available. I went through the renewal process (including payment) and my status is "Under Review".  LIke others, I also have the message "We have received your submission and your payment was successful. We have not yet reviewed any aspect of your application. It is in the verification queue." It looks like the ISP is makeing changes to the system. Fingers crossed for all for some expediant processing.

Archived