Who here owns a 10mm...

MrTriple

...and might be willing to join me at the range so I can give it a whirl?

I've always wanted to give 10mm a try but good luck finding any ranges that have one in the rental cabinet. Just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone bites. I'll provide my own ammo; I don't feel comfortable wasting other people's ammo when availability is still sketchy in places. A part of me wants something chambered in the vaulted caliber, but I also don't want to drop $600 on something I may hate. I find 45 to be a bit of a handful depending on the gun in question (the 1911 is difficult to shoot, the Glock 21 is tolerable, and the FNX-45 is fairly controllable) but that begs the question of how 10mm compares.

Plus it's 10mm; just get a white suit and some Wayfayers and you can feel like Sonny Crocket.

I have the Springfield XDm-10 with the 4.5" barrel.  I am not IL anymore.  I love the gun, and the 10mm can be loaded to shoot mild .40 s&w loadings or full-house Buffalo Bore loads for hunting.  With proper 10mm loads, it's a lot more of a kick than any of my .45's (Sig P220, SA 1911).  I have it loaded with Hornady Handgun Hunter for deer season.  Those loads will get your attention.

Where are you located exactly? I have a Kimber Longslide, Glock 40, 20 and 26 all in 10mm. In my opinion the recoil comes down to ammo in all of them. My wife likes to shoot the Glock 20 with S&B loads but I wouldn't hand her that gun with Underwood XTP in it without telling her first. The 10mm can have some serious horsepower if you load it that way. My 40 is setup as a hunting rig so it has a heavier recoil spring which helps in my opinion. More of a push than a shock with the heavier recoiling loads.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:22 AM, Squints08 said:

Where are you located exactly? I have a Kimber Longslide, Glock 40, 20 and 26 all in 10mm. In my opinion the recoil comes down to ammo in all of them. My wife likes to shoot the Glock 20 with S&B loads but I wouldn't hand her that gun with Underwood XTP in it without telling her first. The 10mm can have some serious horsepower if you load it that way. My 40 is setup as a hunting rig so it has a heavier recoil spring which helps in my opinion. More of a push than a shock with the heavier recoiling loads.

I'll DM you my location.

While I understand that 10mm can be "downloaded" to .40 S&W specs, I can't help but find myself thinking "go big or go home": Either use the traditional Cooper load (200 grain bullet at 1,200 FPS) or get a different caliber.

But that doesn't mean I won't give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived