How to protect self when taking public transit?

vk60187

On 12/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, vk60187 said:

So, there is no option of carrying in the backpack in a gun safe, while unloaded?  What do the people do who must use public transit for one reason or another?

Why is there no option of carrying unloaded in a backpack? I did it for years on the Red Line and Brown Line. I'd duck into a Starbucks or something around the corner from my stop, use the head to holster up and leave. 

Besides that, carry pepper spray. It's gonna suck, a lot in a train car or on a bus but you won't get your stuff stolen. 

On 12/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, solareclipse2 said:

Why is there no option of carrying unloaded in a backpack? I did it for years on the Red Line and Brown Line. I'd duck into a Starbucks or something around the corner from my stop, use the head to holster up and leave. 

Besides that, carry pepper spray. It's gonna suck, a lot in a train car or on a bus but you won't get your stuff stolen. 

Thanks for your answer. You are giving me hope.  I'm not arguing that there is no option, I'm asking a question. Apparently, you've found a way.  I appreciate that.  Can you share, if you don't mind, the details on your transporting the weapon?  (i.e what kind of a case was it, where was the ammmo, etc...)

On 12/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Euler said:

"FOID Carry" is carrying an unloaded weapon encased in pretty much anything.

"6 seconds to safety" was the reference for how fast someone could unpack and load a firearm, if necessary.

Also there's OC spray.

For the record, I also have a CCW, not just FOID.  My understanding of FOID carry was that the container had to be inaccessible, so I never really considered the possibility of having it in the backpack.  However, now that I can conceal carry, I'm trying to figure out ways to have access in an absolute emergency while fully compliant with the letter of the law.

I was thinking of buying a small, portable handgun safe, with a fingerprint scanner.  The safe would then be placed in the backpack.  I'd have an unloaded gun in the safe with magazine not in the gun but in the same safe. Magazine would have bullets in it.  Would this be compliant with FOID transportation requirements while on a public transit?

I may be overthinking it.

I also have a chest rig, by Hill People Gear.  I can fit a full size pistol it, the rig has a zipper.  I'm thinking the rig does't quality as valid transport for a firearm as it's easily accessible, where as a separate portable safe would make access less easy.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Euler said:

"Fanny Pack Carry" is carrying an unloaded weapon encased in pretty much anything.

"6 seconds to safety" was the reference for how fast someone could unpack and load a firearm, if necessary.

Also there's OC spray.

... from back when fanny packs were acceptable and available to buy anywhere.

- Unloaded

- In a case

- Must have FOID on your person

On 12/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, soundguy said:

... from back when fanny packs were acceptable and available to buy anywhere.

- Unloaded

- In a case

- Must have FOID on your person

Does a chest rig give the vibe that someone is carrying?  I think fanny pack is more inconspicuous when it comes to CCW because it's more common to see. 

On 12/4/2021 at 6:10 PM, vk60187 said:

For the record, I also have a CCW, not just FOID.  My understanding of FOID carry was that the container had to be inaccessible, so I never really considered the possibility of having it in the backpack.  However, now that I can conceal carry, I'm trying to figure out ways to have access in an absolute emergency while fully compliant with the letter of the law.

I was thinking of buying a small, portable handgun safe, with a fingerprint scanner.  The safe would then be placed in the backpack.  I'd have an unloaded gun in the safe with magazine not in the gun but in the same safe. Magazine would have bullets in it.  Would this be compliant with FOID transportation requirements while on a public transit?

I may be overthinking it.

I also have a chest rig, by Hill People Gear.  I can fit a full size pistol it, the rig has a zipper.  I'm thinking the rig does't quality as valid transport for a firearm as it's easily accessible, where as a separate portable safe would make access less easy.

Easily accessible is not a primary requirement.

- Unloaded

- In a case

- Must physically possess FOID (or CCL)

If it is a holster, it is probably not a case. Sneaky Pete - not a case. Cargo pants pocket - not a case. Chest rig - probably not a case.

A paper bag is a case. A backpack is a case. A center console or the glove box of you car is a case. Your briefcase is a case. A  fanny pack is a case even if it is designed to hold an accessible pistol and magazines... though unattractive, it is quite a practical piece of kit. Wearing it where a holster might be gives you "6 seconds to safety":

- Open Fanny Pack

- Remove Unloaded Gun

- Remove Loaded Magazine

- Insert Loaded Magazine

- Rack Slide to Ready

"Fanny Pack Carry" comes directly from the ISP pamphlet discussing how to transport a weapon legally in Illinois. This was valid long before concealed carry was available and is still valid today. A perpetual thank you to John Birch, John Horstman and other Illinois gun rights pioneers. Perhaps they were the "Merry Pranksters" of Illinois Concealed Carry.

I am pretty sure it is not valid in certain prohibited areas... music venues with magnetic wands, courthouses, other government buildings, etc. I am not sure about mass transit. This has been discussed before.

I live in the city.

I do not use mass transit.

If I did, I would leave my gun at home.

*Back in those days, I actually carried my trusty (purchased from John Birch and completely illegal in Chicago) Keltec P-11 in my favorite fanny pack with two spare 12 round magazines. Hit a couple downtown gun rallies with it. I think I met Otis on one of those legal transport outings.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, vk60187 said:

Does a chest rig give the vibe that someone is carrying?  I think fanny pack is more inconspicuous when it comes to CCW because it's more common to see. 

Yeah... only someone carrying a gun in combat situations uses a chest rig.

You do not wanna be that kind of a gun dork!

While in Kenosha for the Rittenhouse trial, one of the freelance security guys was "dressed to the nines" in tactical gear with a chest rig and all kinds of strapped on crap. He wanted to be prepared... they made him "tone it down" as much as possible. The next day he looked more like a regular guy and not some sort of wacko militia guy.

Blending in is what you really want to do.

A chest rig does will make you stand out.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:10 PM, vk60187 said:

...  My understanding of FOID carry was that the container had to be inaccessible ...

I also have a chest rig, by Hill People Gear.  ...

There's an OR in there.

broken down in a non-functioning state OR not immediately accessible OR unloaded and enclosed in a case.

A chest rig pretty much looks like open-carry though. I think it would be awesome if a pouch-style holster (think like a Bianchi M12 holster, but not actually an M12 holster, just like it) that completely enclosed a sidearm counted as concealed carry (for loaded CCL, because you can't see the firearm, right?), but it probably doesn't, because it's obvious that there's a handgun in there.

You can FOID carry, but get "caught" doing that and you'll probably be treated by Foxx and Friends as if you were a prohibited felon illegally carrying a stolen firearm (while letting those Democrat voters go when caught, of course).  Not worth it.  The Loop is now an insane asylum, and L trains and platforms have always been very dangerous places.  Stay the heck out of the Loop if at all possible.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, soundguy said:

If it is a holster, it is probably not a case. Sneaky Pete - not a case. Cargo pants pocket - not a case. Chest rig - probably not a case.

A paper bag is a case. A backpack is a case. A center console or the glove box of you car is a case. Your briefcase is a case. A  fanny pack is a case even if it is designed to hold an accessible pistol and magazines... though unattractive, it is quite a practical piece of kit. Wearing it where a holster might be gives you "6 seconds to safety":

Kinda then begs the questions:

Is a concealed carry purse a case? How about a regular purse?

How about a concealed carry sling pack vs a regular sling pack?

it would appear, under your definitions, that all my DW would have to do is reach in and eject mag (assume here none in pipe) when she uses her CC purse and she’d be legal. Right?

If so then OP could just decide play metrosexual and carry a purse, or maintain his manhood with a Maxpedition carry sling or similar….

Public transport:

Gun in briefcase..or equivalent..

Mag in pocket

Equals FOID carry.

Done and done....

Bad guys on public transport?

Hope they their attention is on others while you 'un' FOID carry to defend against a Forceful Felony.

Defend if needed.

Successful? Live another day. You did GOOD. Anybody with more that two brain cells, will agree with any legal/moral actions....

Lose house, all savings, family, dog, and marbles defending against state of IL.

Win the case (of course).... because you were legal.

Start a gofundme..and we we will give as much as possible.

(Almost..kinna..sorta purple...)

On 12/4/2021 at 11:05 PM, MagSlap said:

Public transport:

Gun in briefcase..or equivalent..

Mag in pocket

Equals FOID carry.

Done and done....

Bad guys on public transport?

Hope they their attention is on others while you 'un' FOID carry to defend against a Forceful Felony.

Defend if needed.

Successful? Live another day. You did GOOD. Anybody with more that two brain cells, will agree with any legal/moral actions....

Lose house, all savings, family, dog, and marbles defending against state of IL.

Win the case (of course).... because you were legal.

Start a gofundme..and we we will give as much as possible.

(Almost..kinna..sorta purple...)

Brains in Cook County are single-celled organisms.  White guy shoots Black teen who was just turning his life around = White supremacist hate crime against innocent Black youth.  The game begins, no batteries -- or facts -- required.

I've worked in the loop area for decades and unfortunately was required to take public transportation.

Over those years, I've been assaulted many times.  In my opinion, FOID carrying is worthless since assaults usually happen very quickly and you're not going to have enough time to extract your gun, load it and have it ready.  On top of that, nearly every building in the loop is a GFZ.

I carried pepper spray in a belt holster and a backup knife.  That's about the best you can do in Chicago.

Avoiding the city altogether is the best plan of action.

• 2 weeks later...

A long, long time ago I was in college.

Right before Christmas I tore up my ankle, went in a cast. Couldn’t drive home. All flights were booked up. Was faced with a 40+ hour bus ride.

Was a tad concerned for safety so took a white ash sledge handle, put a rubber foot on the bottom of it and had a right nice cane for my trip home……

I have lived and worked in the loop/south loop for just over 30 years and use a bus or subway at least 10 times a week.  Never been robbed or even acosted in any way that would justify shooting someone.  The risk of crime in the loop is real but very minor compared to the worst parts of the city.  Be aware of your situation at all time and don't ride the bus or  subway late at night.   As someone pointed out, if something goes bad on public transit, it happens very quickly.  Also, firing a weapon on a bus, subway car or a platform puts alot more people at risk that just the criminal.  In certain situations, shooting someone during public transit may well be justified but there are risks in those more crowded, tight areas that are greater than on a street.

On 12/15/2021 at 4:01 AM, spanishjames said:

If Foxx's office declined to charge the citizen who held that savage while carrying on a CTA platform holding only a FOID card, call me cynical, but I'm guessing it wasn't some 50 year old White guy from the suburbs.  Then, he wouldn't be a "good samaritan," and the perp wouldn't be a "robbery offender."  Instead, it would be a White nationalist racist vigilante terrorizing a young man who was just turning his life around.  And they would have dug 15 years into his grammar school yearbook archive for his 8th grade graduation picture in place of the mug shot.

Traveling on public transportation in Chicago is a totally unacceptable risk for me. If I did not have a car to drive I would rent one rather than take public transport. I spent a good amount of time earlier this fall on the West Coast, in CA, OR and WA. In none of those states could I carry legally, and while I was not in any particularly dangerous places I still felt vulnerable. To be on Chicago public transit, which seems especially vulnerable to violence, and to be unarmed would be a worse alternative than to risk not sticking to the letter of the law. 

Archived