Had an interesting concealed carry situation in Chicago today

vito

My wife and I went into Chicago today, something frankly that I try to avoid doing. But we had tickets for a venue that my wife wanted to go to. We parked in a "Valet Parking Only" lot near the venue, obviously leaving my car key with the valet, then proceeded to the venue itself. Of course I was armed, and concealed. At the entrance to the venue I saw that they were wanding everyone that was entering, so I returned to the parking garage, and asked the attendant for my key so that I could "retrieve something that I had left in the car". Obviously I was not about to inform him that what I was doing in fact was putting my gun into the car. The key was in the garage lockbox and all the parked cars were left unlocked. So I proceeded to my car, and without risk of being observed removed my holstered gun and put in under the rear seat so as to be out of sight and not likely to come to the attention of the valet when I returned later to have them drive my car out to me. Leaving a gun in an unlocked car, even in a closed garage where only the valets had ready access to the cars made me quite uncomfortable, but I felt that I had little choice. I returned to the venue and the rest of the visit went without incident, as did my return to my car and checking that my gun was right where I left it. 

I guess I should have called this particular place before ever leaving my home to ask if it was posted, at which time I probably would  have been told that it is posted, and that all people entering would be subject to a metal detecting wand. I think I will do this for any future visits to Chicago where I am going to a specific location, although coming to that city unarmed for the day is not a good choice, in my opinion. But having my wife go by herself, and unarmed as she does not carry, ever, is a worse option for me. 

On 12/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, vito said:

... Leaving a gun in an unlocked car, even in a closed garage where only the valets had ready access to the cars made me quite uncomfortable, ... 

It's also illegal, although unlocked valet parking highlights the risks of valet parking, in general. It's like the valets are trying to make your car an easy target for theft. Does your car have a trunk?

This story makes me ponder disconnecting my remote latch.

Egads...what a goofball situation!!!

I would suggest a lockbox in the car...

I have one...granted..its simple box that tethers to the mounting brackets of the seat.

Wont work against somebody determined..but its something.

On a side note..I was at a thingy recently.....

An ax throwing place...Had fun...

No derpy gfz signs...no problem...

Everything in freaking Chicago is posted, especially downton and near north, which I suspect is where your venue was.  Stay the heck out of Chicago if you can.  What even spend money there and support that craphole's economy?  I got out of the Southwest Side over 20 years ago, and that was 10 years too late as far I as I was concerned.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, vito said:

The car involved is an SUV without a trunk. The glove box does not have a lock. Keeping a small safe under the seat, with a steel cable attaching it to the seat frame is a good idea that I will implement. 

Be wary of those devices. A buddy of mine had his carry pistol swiped in a matter of moments when “safely stowed” in one of those. Think heavier steel lockbox that takes at least 20 minutes to cut through. 

I have a fairly strong cage bolted down in the rear of my SUV. I still leave the gun at home unless I am certain it can be on my belt. 

If it was swiped 'in moments'...the attacker probably knew what he was preparing for...

Carried bolt cutters? (Did he take the whole container?)  Did he work open the box with a screw driver?

A simple lock box will at least deter a smash 'n grab and prolly most valets....

Since I dont have a trunk and drive a lil hatchback** its basically the best I can do. 

I have no intention (at this time anyway) of building a safe and bolting it to the frame of a lil hatchback**

** My lil Hatchback...:D

hatchback2.jpg.f84f46d4a099b3b3c03c51e992df8298.jpgHatchback.jpg.eab38697025453ed647a163437ad9592.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 8:08 AM, vito said:

The car involved is an SUV without a trunk. The glove box does not have a lock. Keeping a small safe under the seat, with a steel cable attaching it to the seat frame is a good idea that I will implement. 

A better idea may be a “Console Vault”.  I’ve installed these in my last three SUVs.  It’s very easy to do.  As with any other option it won’t stop a determined thief with enough time, but may stop a smash and grab event.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:28 PM, Jeffrey said:

Don't need a lock box when you have a trans brake.  I assume by the almost wheelie you do?  That or maybe a 10" slick was on the back?

No trans brake... On the pads... Auto w/3600 stall. Stage IV 4L60e..shift kit/cooler yada..yada..

255/50 MT ET Streets on stock wheels..

26 inch...small tire...

On 12/2/2021 at 4:15 PM, MagSlap said:

If it was swiped 'in moments'...the attacker probably knew what he was preparing for...

Carried bolt cutters? (Did he take the whole container?)  Did he work open the box with a screw driver?

A simple lock box will at least deter a smash 'n grab and prolly most valets....

Since I dont have a trunk and drive a lil hatchback** its basically the best I can do. 

I have no intention (at this time anyway) of building a safe and bolting it to the frame of a lil hatchback**

They cut the cable and took the box. The box is easy even for me to open.  These guys know where to look and what to look for. And yes… they carry appropriate tools. My buddy didn’t know he’d been hit until he noticed his gun safe was gone. They even locked the car back up for him. 

If you don’t have proper security, you risk loss. 

On 12/3/2021 at 8:23 AM, Jeffrey said:

Mickey's hooked up nicely for you!

Before the MT's I used used nitto 555R's...they sucked...

It was always a dance...too much, they would break..too little, slow 60 foot...

When they broke I would always have to get off it...

(I've seen too many rear ends grenade, or wall kisses from people who dont know when to get out when they get loose... )

I never looked back after going with the MT's...

On 12/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, 2A4Cook said:

Everything in freaking Chicago is posted, especially downtown and near north, which I suspect is where your venue was.  Stay the heck out of Chicago if you can.  What even spend money there and support that craphole's economy?  I got out of the Southwest Side over 20 years ago, and that was 10 years too late as far I as I was concerned.

DING DING DING !!  We have a winner !!

On 12/3/2021 at 8:39 AM, vito said:

The venue was the “Van Gogh Experience” on Germania, off Clark.

I'd have gone unarmed on the possibility it is a museum.

(430 ILCS 66/65)
    Sec. 65. Prohibited areas.
    (a) A licensee under this Act shall not knowingly carry a firearm on or into:

(21) Any building, real property, or parking area

under the control of a zoo or museum.

I venture into Chicago very, very rarely. My wife enjoys an occasional visit to the Art Institute, where we have been members for many years. When we go there, I park immediately adjacent to the museum in the underground parking, always finding a handicapped parking spot right next to the stairs leading to the street level. Other than for that museum, I can't even recall going into Chicago except for this recent trip to see the Van Gogh Experience. 

Personally I would find it intolerable to live in that city and put up with the restrictions on my 2nd Amendment rights every day and almost everywhere, on top of the crime, high costs, heavy traffic, ridiculous property taxes, etc. I assume that there are many here that on occasion ignore some of the "posted" restrictions on the basis of "concealed means concealed" and "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6". I am not encouraging or endorsing ANY illegal behavior, but it appears that sometimes common self preservation sense and Illinois law are in direct conflict with each other. Enough said on that subject. 

I had a similar experience also at the VanGogh this fall. Couldn’t find street parking after seeing they were wanding so went to the valet. Both our Highlander and Fusion have glove box keys, so I just locked it up and gave the valet the FOB only. Funny thing is I had my knife in my front pocket. When they asked us to empty pockets I held my hands up with wallet and key hiding the knife as best I could. They wanted my torso and sent me in. 

CWBChicago

CWBChicago said:

A male valet attendant was at his post outside a restaurant on the 1200 block of West Hubbard around 9:09 p.m. when a gunman approached, according to the CPD representative.

The offender reportedly went into the valet key box and helped himself to vehicle keys, including a set that controlled a white 2017 Mercedes Benz coupe parked nearby.

Archived