Jump to content

Illinois gift to Florida son

Florida Dan

Recommended Posts


My father has a rifle he wants to give me the next time I fly up to Chicago. I do not have a FOID card as I'm a Florida resident. Florida does not have gun owner ID cards.


I would like to fly it back to Florida rather than ship it as it's cheaper than shipping & FFL. But, I want to be legal so I'll do whatever it takes.


Can anyone give me any advice? I understand the airline requirements for a locked case and unloaded weapon.


Thank you,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally transferring, including gifting, a firearm across state lines is governed by federal law and has to go through an FFL in the transferee's (i.e., your) home state. There are exceptions, but you may not like them.


A transfer across state lines doesn't go through an FFL when it's transferred as part of an estate (i.e., your father dies and leaves the firearm to you), which is still federal law. You probably don't want to wait that long.


For a transfer sort-of not across state lines ...


ILCS said:

430 ILCS 65/3a.


(b) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois.


(c) Any transaction under this Section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 ...

... which only works if you have an IL non-resident hunting license. The GCA still requires you to go through an FFL, since sort-of not across state lines is still sort-of across state lines, but at least you can do it in IL. I'd be willing to bet that many Illinois FFLs wouldn't want to touch that situation (and would probably tell you it's illegal, despite the law above).


Otherwise you have to wait until your father visits you and go through a Florida FFL.


Then there's the what-the-man-doesn't-know-won't-hurt-me way, but you've said you want to be legal. Also Florida may care how you got the firearm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your father can let you borrow the rifle...


Check with a Florida FFL, ask if they can transfer ownership to you if you bring in the rifle.



Your father can  ship long gun/rifle  through USPS  to a Florida FFL (some FFL will not accept firearm from average citizen)


In your case an FFL in Florida has to complete the transfer to be legal



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...