Springfield Armory bringing "it" back Oct 25

Euler

On 10/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, soundguy said:

I just bought one through Kentucky Guns. They are taking a limited number of back orders. The retail price is $649 if you pay cash or a check, or $702 with a credit card.

we do not know when they will arrive. Springfield told me some are shipping out today. 

Well, they must have raised the price already as cash/check now says $679

• 2 weeks later...

I was notified today that the one I ordered  from Kentucky Guns on 10/25 has arrived and will be on its way to my FFL tomorrow. Total cost will be $709 plus my FFL fee. It should be in my hands by Monday. 

Those GunBroker bidders are nuts! The highest serial number I’ve seen in pictures is #1422. There’s a bunch of them out there. Heard from a guy on Facebook that his LGS in Naperville has one waiting for him to pick up. 

I’ll be swapping out parts between my SA-35 and an ‘81 FN Alloy frame pistol as soon as I can, to check on parts compatibility between the two. 

Fun times for High Power fans!

On 11/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, soundguy said:

I’ll be swapping out parts between my SA-35 and an ‘81 FN Alloy frame pistol as soon as I can, to check on parts compatibility between the two. 

Close-up pictures of the disassembled parts would be much appreciated.

... or have a party and let us all stop by to rip it apart ourselves ...

I confess to getting enthused about this gun.  But last night I was at GAT doing an Intro and asked the upstairs manager (who's also a good armorer) about the gun and he said they had one in the office, with broken parts, and that they'd seen another or two, also with bad parts.

I have to run that down for more specifics (I was more concerned with getting a full class underway) but not a good sign.

Here's the thing- I've never liked the Hi-Power, mostly due to the trigger and that it wasn't in the right caliber, but I know it's been a good gun.  I figured if Springfield got the trigger right, as they claim to have done, maybe I'd give it a look.

The price point does seem awfully low for a gun of this aged technology.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, cherryriver said:

But last night I was at GAT doing an Intro and asked the upstairs manager (who's also a good armorer) about the gun and he said they had one in the office, with broken parts, and that they'd seen another or two, also with bad parts.

I have to run that down for more specifics

I wanna hear what broke and why, what to look out for.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, Yas said:

I thought I saw they did not do the traditional magazine safety as on traditional hi powers.

Indeed, there is no Magazine Safety Disconnect connected to the trigger of the SA-35. Most (or many) High Power users remove this. Often it's the first thing you do. None of the aftermarket triggers have provisions for it. During WWll, the Germans deleted it from the pistol. It was added back in post-war production.

I had two BHPs, and removed the magazine disconnect on both.  Trigger pull was greatly improved,  but the reset was horrible. 

I special ordered one recently, put $100 down on $679 retail.  Hope it gets here quick. 

BTW, a buddy of mine got one recently, and he really likes it. He's a competition shooter, gun history buff, instructor,  etc.  If he says they're good, I'm buying two of them. 

"A good armorer didn't tell you what parts were broken?  On three guns?  At one store?"

Yes.  Remember this was in a retail situation with him being busy talking to a junior employee and I was hastening to get to my soon-to-start class.  Again, I expect to have an opportunity to find out what this is about this week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My SA-35 still has not been delivered from Kentucky Guns.

I'm seeing more reviews (led by BHSS) noting persistent extraction problems and finishing issues, including painfully sharp edges where there should be no sharp edges. It seems like Springfield didn't quite finish the job but has a potentially reliable platform which can be completed quite well at a custom shop for another $700 or so. I'll probably go for it... completely voiding the warranty.

Kind of hoping Girsan comes through... without the extra cost.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, soundguy said:

I'm seeing more reviews (led by BHSS) noting persistent extraction problems and finishing issues ...

Garand Thumb has a review he posted, I think, Saturday. He got 2 (loaner/free) units from Springfield for promotion. He said they both developed extraction problems around 800 rounds and made reference to the BHSS reviews. He asked for the second unit because the first one had a crappy finishing job. I saw another review from a random guy who had the same complaint about a splotchy finish on his.

If you get BHSS (or anyone else) to tumble the sharp edges off yours, it's going to need a new finish, anyway.

Archived