Shooting Range Recommendations?

Verdict

Does anyone know of any outdoor shooting ranges (I'm in Northern Illinois) that allow drawing from a holster and/or shooting on the move?  Would be willing to pay extra money to have this as an option.  Even if I have to go into Wisconsin, just looking for any recommendations. Sheeesh I would pay someone to shoot on their land as well. If you want send me a PM.   

I would be willing to drive up to 3-4 hours.  I'm wanting to get into the competition scene but basically all the ranges that I have been looking at do not fit the bill.  Just doing bullseye shooting is not cutting it for me anymore.

I don't know about holster work or shooting while moving...

I was at the Yellowstone Lake range this summer (at the end of a kayak trip) and loved it! Lots of  families and women when I was there, and a fellow introducing extended family teens to shooting. There are no Range Officers or fees. You are on your own. Everyone was cooperative when I was there.

Bring a good broom and dustpan for cleaning up.

Maybe buy an annual WI State Park Vehicle Admission Sticker as your contribution ($38) to the scene.

The Aurora Sportsmans Club allows both holster draw and shooting on the move for members.  
it’s located in Waterman IL.    It is a members only club although members can bring guests.  

ASC also has about every form of action shooting sports you’d care to compete in.  Rifle, pistol, shotgun and three gun.  Most of the competitive matches are open to the public. 
There are multiple ranges from 25 ft to 600 yds plus every shotgun sport you’d like with more being built every month. 

I lost count now but there have to be 20 pistol/rifle bays. 

i usually am able to go out during the week and am always able to get a bay for myself.  

https://aurorasc.org/  

On 10/10/2021 at 6:08 PM, Lou said:

The Aurora Sportsmans Club ...

Once upon a time when I looked at ASC, one thing I liked was that when it hosted an IDPA match, members could run the course at their own pace for a few days beforehand. I don't know if that's still true, but if you want to run a competition course without actually competing, it seems like a cool option.

ASC is a bit pricey, though.

So I build my range in Morris where my brother has the land. 

I have 3 silhouette's all AR500 plate (one full size 1/2 and will take a laupa) and rifle to 120 yards.

Texas Star, Plate Swing, and Competition bar as well as just a whole lot of other AR500 Plates hanging. 

I don't know when I'll make a trip, probably again soon before the weather gets bad, if you PM me with a email I'll ping you next time I go. 

It'll be a haul for you I suspect but you can do anything you want that's safe.   We've done everything short of tripping people, drawing, reloading, moving whatever is fine.

2 in the chest 1 in the head in 2 seconds from 20 - that's where I'm at and practice everytime I go.  I'm not a trained instructor and anyone can disagree that's ok. 

I call it the first Dinosaur range east of the Mississippi, there's a bed bath and beyond sprinkler dino with conduit bones and other stuff packed with great stuff foam.  It's o little over 6 feet tall it keeps guard, it just won't die.   Tannerite I suspect would but shooting it has little effect. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:06 AM, SiliconSorcerer said:

So I build my range in Morris where my brother has the land. 

I have 3 silhouette's all AR500 plate (one full size 1/2 and will take a laupa) and rifle to 120 yards.

Texas Star, Plate Swing, and Competition bar as well as just a whole lot of other AR500 Plates hanging. 

I don't know when I'll make a trip, probably again soon before the weather gets bad, if you PM me with a email I'll ping you next time I go. 

It'll be a haul for you I suspect but you can do anything you want that's safe.   We've done everything short of tripping people, drawing, reloading, moving whatever is fine.

2 in the chest 1 in the head in 2 seconds from 20 - that's where I'm at and practice everytime I go.  I'm not a trained instructor and anyone can disagree that's ok. 

I call it the first Dinosaur range east of the Mississippi, there's a bed bath and beyond sprinkler dino with conduit bones and other stuff packed with great stuff foam.  It's o little over 6 feet tall it keeps guard, it just won't die.   Tannerite I suspect would but shooting it has little effect. 

I REALLY appreciate everyones feedback. I **may** have found a location within 30 minutes. I'm still working on the details with the owner. I will keep you posted though because this seems like my next viable option.  Hopefully I have an answer by the end of next week.

• 5 months later...

Did you ever find a range sounds like the one you are looking for is in polo tri County gun club it's a great place $150 a year

Archived