Know when to defend yourself

Euler

CWBChicago

CWBChicago said:

A successful lawyer, entrepreneur, and champion of Chicago's minority business owners ... was walking near Monroe Street and Wacker Drive -- steps from the Sears Tower -- when he came upon 24-year-old Pasquel Nava and a woman who were arguing while looking for their car around 11 p.m. Tuesday, prosecutors said. When Nava grabbed the woman, who was carrying a baby, the victim stepped in to comfort the 11-year-old child who was with them, according to prosecutors.

Nava turned his attention to the attorney and pushed the man, causing his keys, wallet, and legally possessed handgun to fall to the ground, prosecutors said. As the man tried to pick up his property, Nava allegedly punched him in the face, causing him to fall unconscious to the ground.

For the next seven minutes, Nava stomped on the man's head, punched him, kicked him, and dragged him around, according to prosecutors.

The victim, who underwent surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and will require more surgeries, was still hospitalized this weekend, prosecutors said. He suffered a torn left retina, fractured orbital bone, fractured nose, and received more than a dozen stitches, according to court records.

Imagine having keys in your pocket, your wallet in your pocket, and your gun in a holster or pocket. Now imagine how hard someone would have to "push" you to make all 3 of those things fall out.

Story doesn't add up.

alternative storyline:

guy thinks hes a super hero..... tries to interfere in a simple domestic dispute by pulling out his gun...... guy arguing with wife sees the gun and jumps in to action to protect his family from a stranger with a gun..... issues this wannabe hero a much deserved beatdown

alternative thread title:

Know when to mind your own business

On 9/22/2021 at 9:33 AM, cope said:

alternative storyline:

guy thinks hes a super hero....

Alternative story #1

He attempts to comfort the 11-year-old like the story says. When the guy turns his attention to him, he tries to draw a pocket pistol, scattering the wallet and keys that he had in the same pocket, but he's slow or he fumbles it. The guy pushes him to the ground, making him drop the firearm if it wasn't already dropped, and pounds the crap out of him.

Alternative story #2 (which I favor)

Same as story #1, but he's unwilling to use his firearm, thinking the mere appearance of a firearm will save him, or it doesn't have a round chambered. The guy pushes him and pounds the crap out of him.

Either way, he may or may not have even had a holster. Adding a wallet and keys to the same pocket as the firearm is ... sub-optimal.

As for becoming involved at all, there's no law that prohibits you from trying to stop a man beating on a woman and infant, even though he wasn't actually attempting to stop the man in this case. There's also no law that says you must stop it. Some people would walk on by. Some people would try to help the woman and children. It's your choice.

I think this guy's first error is that he didn't seem to think that a man who was already violent would become more violent.

I say don't go looking for trouble.  In that situation, call the cops and let them do their thing.  Now if the guy is about to kill the lady, maybe you think differently there? 

Not related to this story, I know I drive in St. Louis traffic a bit, and ppl pass you with no signals, cut ppl off etc.  I just set my cruise and go along, if I see where someone is acting weird, I just try to stay away from them.  In other words, I just try to keep my nose clean and stay away from people that would do me harm.  I don't have a ccw yet, so obviously packing isn't an option, but even if I did, my inclination is that using a ccw weapon is only a last resort where I'm potentially cornered and have no other option, or my family is in danger.  I hope that I NEVER EVER have to use that ccw once I get one, but again, it would be only a last resort, seems to be the safest bet all around.  For example, that story above, what if the husband had snapped and picked up the guy's gun?  That story could have potentially become a triple homicide.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the lawyer feels culturally enriched?

Prosecutors said Nava admitted to hitting the man. Nava was convicted of shooting a man in 2015 but pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated battery by discharging a firearm in exchange for a four year sentence.

On Friday, prosecutors charged him with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, simple assault, and failure to comply with gun offender registration requirements.

His defense attorney said he expects to launch a self defense claim because the victim “approached his minor child while armed with a gun.”

Judge Susana Ortiz set bail at $30,000. Nava must post 10% of that amount to go home on electronic monitoring.

In all seriousness, this is what open borders and sanctuary cities get you.  $3,000 bond for a savage tribal beating on an unconscious person???  Why in the heck is he still in this country after shooting someone six years ago???  He has disabled someone who likely earns a substantial living and contributes to our society.  I'll put money down that he gets less than ten years for this attempted murder, gets released early and is protected from deportation.  Keep voting Demonrat ...

On 10/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, 2A4Cook said:

His defense attorney said he expects to launch a self defense claim because the victim “approached his minor child while armed with a gun.”

I didn't point that one out before, because it's a side issue, but it essentially asserts a defense that every legally armed concealed carrier is an imminent danger to children, thus they (i.e., we) may be crippled or killed with impunity at any time. As shocking as it may be to one's sense of reason to assert that non-violently engaging in constitutionally protected activity is dangerous, it's especially ironic given that it's being asserted by someone who was in the process of committing domestic violence at the time.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, Euler said:

I didn't point that one out before, because it's a side issue, but it essentially asserts a defense that every legally armed concealed carrier is an imminent danger to children, thus they (i.e., we) may be crippled or killed with impunity at any time. As shocking as it may be to one's sense of reason to assert that non-violently engaging in constitutionally protected activity is dangerous, it's especially ironic given that it's being asserted by someone who was in the process of committing domestic violence at the time.

I don't know how his attorney can look at himself in the mirror.  Was he defending himself for the seven minutes the man was lifeless?  Scum all the way around.

Archived