Girsan MC P35 - new Hi-Power clone?

Euler

Intrigued by a Personal Defense World article ...

Personal Defense World said:

The new Girsan P35 references the classic Browning Hi-Power semi-auto at a price that is a little more budget friendly. ...

I found other articles in other "magazines," but they are all word-for-word identical, so it's basically the press release.

I looked on EAA's site ...

EAA said:

Made with serious respect for the original Browning® Hi-Power™ pistol design, EAA’s MC P35 pays homage to one of the most widely used military handguns in the world, with its classic styling. ...

The Girsan site itself has no information on it. Nobody seems to be selling it yet. I can't find any reviews on it, either.

It will be interesting to see if "reference," "respect," and "homage" mean it's a clone or just a look-alike. The Tisas BR9 (aka Zig 14) was supposedly a parts-compatible clone.

The Tisas Regent BR9, rebranded as the Zig 14 (or was it the other way around), is indeed a parts-compatible clone of the High Power. I expect the Girsan will be nearly identical as both companies seem to supply the Turkish military. The stainless steel model is particularly nice. It is finished far better than the FEG and Arcus clones, possibly better than some original High Powers. It has a really tight fit. MSRP for the Girsan seems to be the same as the Tisas.

I would love to find some of the Tisas "special" models!

zig14-ozel-gravur-krom-.thumb.png.af2fee4c92f469789c4d6f698349d244.png

zig14-sade-altin-varak.thumb.png.5d9c68ac8650ab67c34a8c5a27212862.png

zig14-titan-altin-varak-.thumb.png.4361170930b851ff8f586606fed24fc8.png

On 9/2/2021 at 9:06 PM, soundguy said:

The Tisas Regent BR9, rebranded as the Zig 14 (or was it the other way around), ...

I believe it has always been called the Zig 14 in Turkey, but the US importer (LKCI) wanted to call it the Regent BR9, so Tisas made special slides for US import with a different name. I think Tisas would have made special slides, anyway, with English engraving for at least the importation marks. The alternative is what whoever imported the HK P8 once did, which seriously looks like some drunk used a Dremel to write the marks by hand.

If I have disposable cash, I will probably pick up the Girsan and the new improved Tisas Zig 14 should they actually be available here. If they are as nice as my SS Regent BR9, both would be nice additions. 

I still need to find a pre-war model, a ‘60s Pre-T and a T-series, a nice C series and something from from 2010 or after to complete my “decades” collection. An Inglis, Arcus, FM and Ishtapur are probably on my list, too. And a something from the Belgian Congo would be awfully cool. I’ve also heard about a polymer framed version from South Africa… so many more yet to find. 

• 2 months later...

The Girsan HP appears to have a firing pin drop safety, which the Tisas does not, if I understand correctly. (I've never seen one.) I saw somewhere that Girsan is supposed to start shipping its P35 on Nov 15 (next Monday).

Supposedly the new Springfield doesn't have a drop safety, either. In the FN Mk III, the addition of the drop safety allegedly made the slide susceptible to cracking if dry fired. I wonder if the Girsan will suffer the same problem.

ehpahl9l0ny71.jpg

There's an FDE P35 on that table, too.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:37 PM, Euler said:

The Girsan HP appears to have a firing pin drop safety, which the Tisas does not, if I understand correctly. (I've never seen one.) I saw somewhere that Girsan is supposed to start shipping its P35 on Nov 15 (next Monday).

Supposedly the new Springfield doesn't have a drop safety, either. In the FN Mk III, the addition of the drop safety allegedly made the slide susceptible to cracking if dry fired. I wonder if the Girsan will suffer the same problem.

Now that's one I have never heard. Each of my three have been dry fired more than live fired.

Indeed, the Tisas does not have the spring loaded "paddle style" type 2 sear lever of the Mark lll. It is a candidate for the BHSS spring loaded "type 1" sear lever. I'm not certain either is a drop safety. The SFS system does add a drop safety, as well as giving you "hammer down cocked and locked".

I'm working enough this week to afford a Girsan as soon as they come in, if they ever do... I'm not sure if I like the warning message on the frame.

The BHSpringSolutions’ Optimized Sear Lever Type I is equipped with a spring that positively positions the sear lever away from the sear immediately after the shot. This eliminates the “bouncing” of the OEM free-floating sear lever and by doing that – the risk of unintentional discharge while racking the slide or slide’s forward movement during the shot cycle. The Optimized Sear Lever Type I for Hi-Powers also prevents the contact between the sear lever and the back of the frame during the shot cycle (also caused by the OEM free-floating sear lever).

Edited by soundguy

On 11/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, soundguy said:
On 11/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, Euler said:

Now that's one I have never heard. Each of my three have been dry fired more than live fired.

Indeed, the Tisas does not have the spring loaded "paddle style" type 2 sear lever of the Mark lll. It is a candidate for the BHSS spring loaded "type 1" sear lever. I'm not certain either is a drop safety. The SFS system does add a drop safety, as well as giving you "hammer down cocked and locked".

I'm making enough money this week to afford a Girsan as soon as they come in, if they ever do... I'm not sure if I like the warning message on the frame.

The idea (as I've heard) is that the amount of material in the MK III firing pin chamber between the hammer and the drop safety is minimal, so there's not a lot to withstand repeated hammer strikes.

The SFS locks the hammer and the slide, but not the firing pin. I know BH Spring Solutions says that makes the firearm drop safe, but if the firing pin is unaffected, at most it only stops the firearm from cycling from an accidental discharge. It doesn't stop the discharge itself.