To give Prints or No Prints when applying for CCL

russ60477

I was just wondering why some folks are so against giving prints and others no biggie.

I know i was printed back in my teens so  they have them on file.

I feel if prints are given that may be as equal as a defense as no prints in a bad situation ?

Lets hear some pros and cons please .

Thanks as always for all the help from the group

Few groups here on the subject of prints.

first no one wants their prints out there (even tho they already are) 

also there are those who will not spend any additional cash getting what many believe is a right which should be free

there are those who say the card will arrive just as fast without prints so why hassle 

and of course you can save the cash to NOT get prints and then turn around and buy ammo or equipment with the savings

this last one is kin to the one where your wife comes home telling you how much money she saved on a new dress. It was half of the original price of $500.00. Wanting to save you even more she bought a second one and now has a total savings of $500.00.

spend don’t spend it’s a personal preference issue. There is no correct answer. 

I did prints to lessen the chance that I would be confused with someone else. I once looked up my name on the internet. One of the first hits was of a registered sex offender. 

Prints done in 2021 confirm that the John Jacobs who is applying is the same person who had prints done 15 years ago, and not someone who is trying to steal his identity. 

Documents and information can be forged or hacked. I have had numerous prints done over 30 years in the military, plus in civilian jobs and volunteering in schools. 

I do not understand the concern that my prints will be out there. No one is going to copy them and plant them at a crime scene. 

Processing with prints is supposed to be faster. That claim may not be valid, reports here vary. As Bubbacs points out there is the extra cost to consider. 

As he indicates, it is a personal perference.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, Quiet Observer said:

... Prints done in 2021 confirm that the John Jacobs who is applying is the same person who had prints done 15 years ago, and not someone who is trying to steal his identity. ...

I'm pretty sure the prints are not used for authentication. They're only used for comparison to known criminals and unsolved crimes.

Once upon a time, the FBI would throw your prints away after checking them. Now they keep them. Some people don't like that.

I skipped prints when getting CCL for two reasons, Cost's and IMO shouldn't have to provide for what I consider a Constitutional Right.

This thread got me thinking...

In reality the State already has my finger prints, 2 times, one time I was falsely arrested and charges dropped and the second time I had a background check because I was manager of high school varsity hockey team, it was requirement of the school I guess.

In addition I submitted my finger prints for Utah CCL these went to Utah and department of homeland security.

One would think the State would have access  to my prints for future CCL or FOID

Why not?

No prints with my original application (very first day you could apply) because I didn’t think the cost was justified for a difference of 30 days. But, then again, that was back when we expected the ISP to abide by the timelines proscribed by law,  and, to a great extent they did - my original app missed the deadline by 3 days or so.  
Were I to apply today I’d likely opt for no prints again because the cost doesn’t seem justified since it doesn’t really seem to make much difference as ISP now completely disregards the timelines proscribed by law…

On 9/3/2021 at 10:42 AM, ScopeEye said:

In reality the State already has my finger prints, ... I had a background check because I was manager of high school varsity hockey team, it was requirement of the school I guess.

One would think the State would have access  to my prints for future CCL or FOID

Why not?

The school thing is a Dept of Ed requirement to make sure you're not a convicted felon. As a school employee or volunteer, you have access to confidential (as opposed to secret or top secret) government information (i.e., personally identifiable information of children from their school records).

Just because the state has SOMEONE's fingerprints with your name on them doesn't mean the state has YOUR fingerprints. Generally speaking, government agencies tend not to trust each other's security.

We skipped the prints the first time around because the only place we could get the right kind (required by the law) done was 3 hours drive away. AND the cost of getting them was way to much. We did not do prints for the renewal since it would not really speed things up. I am NOT worried about the state having my prints since I have had them on file with the Feds for 30 plus years do to my DOE job and clearance. The wife has her on file with the state due to teaching. Just was not worth the trouble and travel. I have not looked lately to see if anyone close by does the required kind of prints now (I live down close to Metropolis Illinois- about 2 miles from the Ohio River and Kentucky!)

Archived